They Know Who We Are

musicgal

NCTribeFan- if you read the post, you will clearly see it was not addressed to you. So, I'm afraid you got your panties in a wad over nothing. And I am just fine not being your pal:rolleyes:

I'm always nice wherever I go. I say please, and thank you, and the obligatory "Hello! How are you?" as I pass. I always try to remember to smile (I have a serious set face, and if I don't smile I look mean and uninviting.)

I think that when I'm on JH's blog or facebook I remain civil (Although I have a wicked sense of sarcasm, I try to remember it doesn't convey well in text.)

The way one would go about changing a poor reputation is by publically proving that reputation wrong. So if the OP wants to identify herself as a CC member and make it a positive experience, more power too her!

If I ever actually buy some CC swag, I'd probably wear it on the cruise, and I don't mind telling people where I researched the cruise (for a year beforehand) because I honestly don't give a flying flip what anyone thinks about me. I'm polite and nice because I like to be, not because I want others to like me. If they want to treat me poorly based on a lanyard or a polo, that's their problem and how sad for them.

PS, I try to keep my cabin clean also, I found myself "tidying up" before I left! My bedroom at home is a MESS.

Thank you Tricia for the kind words- It never ceases to amaze me how people can justify hijacking a post and attack the OP (on any thread) for what amounts to a personality difference... then post their credentials, list of folks who adore them, number of posts, etc. to justify the fact that they are being rude in the first place. It's the same with any hot button issue on here- people have to prove how superior they are if they dress up or don't... if you're nice to the crew, you're labeled as wanting to make them new bff's, on and on ad infinitum.

Thank you Tricia for the kind words- It never ceases to amaze me how people can justify hijacking a post and attack the OP (on any thread) for what amounts to a personality difference... then post their credentials, list of folks who adore them, number of posts, etc. to justify the fact that they are being rude in the first place. It's the same with any hot button issue on here- people have to prove how superior they are if they dress up or don't... if you're nice to the crew, you're labeled as wanting to make them new bff's, on and on infinitum.

I guess I am having a hard time understanding why we need a thread to remind us to be nice to people.

Above you mention how you don't understand how people can attack someone or be rude to them and yet a lot of what you have written in this thread is just that. Perhaps you should extend some of the kindness you show the crew to the people here on this thread.

I guess I am having a hard time understanding why we need a thread to remind us to be nice to people.

Above you mention how you don't understand how people can attack someone or be rude to them and yet a lot of what you have written in this thread is just that. Perhaps you should extend some of the kindness you show the crew to the people here on this thread.

Like a dog with a bone, Dave. I apologize to you and you are still at it:rolleyes:

It's all about respect. And I always post the same way I would talk in real life. That's why I use my real name on here (and on other message boards). I don't hide my comments behind a fake name. (And before anyone gets their nose out of joint, I understand why some people prefer to use a pseudonym, it's just my preference.)/quote]

Sorry this cracked me up. I just Googled your name and got 135,000,000 results.

Ain't that the truth!!

We've all seen the rude "snarkieass"* comments here.

Well if you ever read John Healds Facebook replies, it seems

everybody thinks we are all that way.

*btw...yeah, I think I just made up that word.:D

snarkieass is an excellent word. mind if I use it?

You folks talk like you would only do these things on a cruise. Do you not treat all people this way? I don't change how I behave because I am on a cruise.

And the obsession with making new bff's with the crew baffles me. I mean I am nice and kind to everyone, but I feel no desire to learn their life story.

I would also think that a fair portion of what they tell people is designed to maximize the tips they get.

Very true....I actually have a "life" and have friends to cruise with so I don't buddy up to the workers. I treat them nice, don't ask for extra, leave the auto tips on...have not seen much effort to tip extra. I don't want to know their life story. I also have no interest in the Behind the Fun tour and/or the Chef table. I don't want to work on a ship.

When info is shared with a passenger, in the spirit of being helpful, the courtesy should be returned by the passenger. As long as the crew member, sharing insightful info that the (everyday cruiser) may not be privy to, does not put anyone in jeopardy, danger or flagrantly goes against policy and procedure; I see no harm. Makes my cruise experience a more well-rounded one. I respect that.;)

What?? why would I ...or should I ...worry about a crewmember telling me "secrets"....should I read their policy manual before I sail?? Or should I buddy up to them in hopes of getting the "inside scoop" or gossip?? What would I do if they told me "too much info"?? Should I report it to the "beards" in Miami??

I really don't understand this sort of interest and I honestly find it "odd"

I would never bother mentioning that I'm a CC member. This reminds me of those who go into a restaurant and say they're a "Yelper" (a site I detest by the way).

Also, this site probably accounts for no more than 1% of cruisers out there, especially on the boards. There will be those who will just visit here to get information or read reviews and will never register for the forums. For those who do such I'll grant greater than 1%, but the forum members, no.

For example, it's no secret that often a ship will make a "Williamson" turn in a man overboard situation. This will put them right back around where the person should be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_overboard_rescue_turn

I recall landing at FLL last month on Continented (United). I noted the pattern the pilot flew to the runway (not common for ATC to have you do that), and upon landing something felt a bit strange, something I have felt when piloting an aircraft too.

Upon taxiing in to the gate I noted the wind sock (gives us the direction of the wind) and it confirmed my suspicion.

As I exited the aircraft the captain was standing there, and I said "that was some nice VFR pattern work, captain; downwind, base and final". He was a little surprised, and then he chuckled and said "oh yeah". I then asked, "did we land with a bit of a tail wind?" He said, "yes, we actually did, good catch!". I told him "I'm a Cessna 210 driver, nice flying, thanks a lot, take care!" Of course, that's one pilot to another. I never told him "I'm an AOPA member", what's the point of that? I just told him why I knew it. Heck, you can AOPA and not even be an aviator!

off topic, Lou - but grandson just went on his first general aviation plane ride - a Cessna 150 courtesy of the "Young Eagles" organization in town. He is 13, and actually thinks he flew the plane. He was so thrilled by this 20 minute flight he talked about it for days.

Archived