Suites and cocktail hour

grams98

Lately, I've also noticed that. Especially when it comes to suite perks. He probably books an inside and then tries to act like he has a suite. Probably tells the head waiter he is in one also so he can get the extra perks at dinner.

I will agree with you on that. I think most of the suite perks are pretty lousy. Most of them seem like an afterthought in an attempt to match a perk offered on some other line.

"Platinum disembarkation lounge.”- Sitting in the wheelhouse bar with some food diverted from the buffet is really no better than sitting in the buffet or some other place.

“Suite and elite happy hour.” - A small discount on one drink and free food (all food is free) in the back of the disco is not something to get excited about.

“Extended room service menu.” - That’s just a clever way of saying you are eating the same food as everyone else, except you are sitting in your room.

“Breakfast at Sabatini’s.” - See previous.

All the room related perks is stuff that is free at most hotels, or it is worthless. (“Luggage protector on bed at embarkation.” Really? I need to protect my luggage from the bed?)

"Personal shore excursion reservations." - Not a perk. Everyone gets this.

"Passenger's choice of deluxe canapes, delivered daily." - If you ever tried eating this then you understand.

Free laundry, internet, spa, mini bar. These are the only ones I really like, but not really free. I just prepaid for them with the expensive suite.

“Suite and elite happy hour.” - A small discount on one drink and free food (all food is free) in the back of the disco is not something to get excited about.

And yet, there are apparently people who will lie to get this benefit.

I feel that having a happy hour for only people who can afford a suite is lacking class as well.

"I'm sorry sir, but your room is not expensive enough to allow you to socialize with these other people." Classy?

I recommend starting your own cruiseline and have a happy hour for everyone. Princess is far too declasse for you.

Thanks for all of the replies. I certainly know more about the cocktail hour now that I read all,of the great info.we are very excited about being in our first suite and that is priceless. Thanks again, grams98

Enjoy your cruise and the suite!

By the by... we were on the Golden Princess a couple of weeks ago and went to the Platinum/Elite/Suite cocktail lounge every evening. It was a great way to unwind before dinner and have a drink or two. And the scenery from the Skywalker's vantage point was priceless... Oh, and the appetizers were good too. There was steak tartare, a Stilton cheese with port reduction, freshly made guacamole, sushi... some of which is NOT available in the buffet or dining rooms. ;) :rolleyes:

Hi again, Fellow Cruisers

We do indeed plan on enjoying every perk. Breakfast at sabatinis will be wonderful, I love mimosas. And the first evening onboard, we can go to a specialty restaurant for free. I can stay I touch with our 4 kids and all of our grandkids anywhere on board, and after ten days of a precruise in Bangkok and Chiang Mai Thailand, we can unload all of our dirty laundry and start fresh. (I had planned on using the first sea day to do this myself, this will be so great to let someone else). We will enjoy the evening cocktail hours and I love sushi. But the whirlpool tub I will use every night, and since our cruise is 16 days, I don't need to go without my normal nightly ritual of a nice whirlpool bath. I really like the idea of room service on disembark day. That day more than any other seems like a zoo to me in the horizon court. This is for my hubby's retirement, and we figured 45 years of nonstop work deserved a suite. Well, can't wait and thanks again for all,of the great advice. Grams98

I will agree with you on that. I think most of the suite perks are pretty lousy. Most of them seem like an afterthought in an attempt to match a perk offered on some other line.

"Platinum disembarkation lounge.”- Sitting in the wheelhouse bar with some food diverted from the buffet is really no better than sitting in the buffet or some other place.

“Extended room service menu.” - That’s just a clever way of saying you are eating the same food as everyone else, except you are sitting in your room.

“Breakfast at Sabatini’s.” - See previous.

All the room related perks is stuff that is free at most hotels, or it is worthless. (“Luggage protector on bed at embarkation.” Really? I need to protect my luggage from the bed?)

"Personal shore excursion reservations." - Not a perk. Everyone gets this.

"Passenger's choice of deluxe canapes, delivered daily." - If you ever tried eating this then you understand.

Free laundry, internet, spa, mini bar. These are the only ones I really like, but not really free. I just prepaid for them with the expensive suite.

You just sound like sour grapes. I cruise in a suite because I like the bigger cabin. I also like the full room service menu in the cabin and the other perks. Don't be a downer. Life is too short.

In many areas of life, you get extra benefits for paying more.

However, lying to get into the cocktail party is no different than shoplifting.

(Actually, I think it's theft of services - so slightly different)

What's funny, is that I think the cocktail party is so worthless, that I

rarely bother to attend, and am truly amused by someone who would

lie to get something so trivial.

I am scheduled to be on the grand in 3 weeks. We were trying to add a lady friend to my room, but there seems to be a problem with my American Express card getting declined. Does anyone here have any expereince with sneaking a person aboard inside their luggage? I was thinking something like one of those footlocker type boxes. Or if you have another idea that is better please let me know. Thanks.

It shouldn't vary. I wonder why?

Dunno... maybe fares have been discounted so much on a particular cruise that they have to attempt to make up the revenue on the drinks side... :confused:

Archived