Newark Airport / Bayonne / Explorer OTS questions

JulieRose

We're taking the train from Philadelphia to EWR before our Explorer cruise in Feb. and I have a few questions for those with some experience embarking in NJ.

We will need to take a cab from the airport (yes, that is apparently where the Amtrak station is as well.) About how much should we expect to pay for a cab and about how long will it take to get there? Is there a better way to get from the airport to the pier?

For those who have cruised on the EXotS before, what is the earliest we should arrive for a 4pm departure? There are trains arriving every hour on the half hour.

How quickly does disembarkation go? Our choices for the return train ride are a lot more limited and are 9:55am or 1pm. For a 7:00am arrival, would we be rushed with the earlier train?

Thanks

We're taking the train from Philadelphia to EWR before our Explorer cruise in Feb. and I have a few questions for those with some experience embarking in NJ.

We will need to take a cab from the airport (yes, that is apparently where the Amtrak station is as well.) About how much should we expect to pay for a cab and about how long will it take to get there? Is there a better way to get from the airport to the pier? Go to Newark Penn Station. There is no vehicle access to EWR station. You have to take the monorail to one of the terminals to get a cab[/color]

For those who have cruised on the EXotS before, what is the earliest we should arrive for a 4pm departure? There are trains arriving every hour on the half hour. I like to arrive at the pier between 10:30 and 11

How quickly does disembarkation go? Our choices for the return train ride are a lot more limited and are 9:55am or 1pm. For a 7:00am arrival, would we be rushed with the earlier train? IMO the earlier train would be tight and you would have to self disembark. If the ship is late or customs is slow, you will miss it.

Thanks

When are you sailing? On the return you have the local train option which runs all the time - NJ Transit to Trenton, transfer across the platform, and Septa to Phillie. Not ideal, but it may be better than hanging out in Bayonne and Newark and it's a lot cheaper. I might consider not buying a return ticket and trying to make the early train with the local as a backup.

We'll be traveling from Sun, Feb 24 to Tues, March 5

You're right, the local is about $15pp cheaper but will take about an hour and a half longer on the train itself not counting any time to make transfers. And we would have to take 3 different trains if we went that way instead of 2. If we wait until day of departure to get Amtrak tickets, it will cost us almost twice as much ($36pp now, $70pp day of) so if we didn't buy a ticket now, we would be committing to local and I just don't think I want the hassle.

What's wrong with taking the monorail to get a cab? Is there a fee? Wouldn't the cab ride be shorter and probably cheaper from the airport than from Penn?

**Edit** When I look at google maps, there are cars parked right next to the EWR Amtrak station... I sure looks like there is vehicle access to me... Is it just that there are no cabs there?

What's wrong with taking the monorail to get a cab? Is there a fee? Wouldn't the cab ride be shorter and probably cheaper from the airport than from Penn?

**Edit** When I look at google maps, there are cars parked right next to the EWR Amtrak station... I sure looks like there is vehicle access to me... Is it just that there are no cabs there?

Okay so I answered my own question and it seems that the travel time is about the same so going to Penn probably does make more sense. There are also a lot more choices for trains going back to Philly (about 1 per hour.) Knowing typical disembarkation practices for EotS, what would be an ideal time to book the train for? (BTW, there is no checked baggage on Amtrak so we would have no problem with carrying off our bags if necessary. I just don't know how this works with RCI...)

Let's get some other opinions on the time. I would think 11 am would be OK. As you found out Newark Penn Station has better service and all you do is go downstairs instead of carting your luggage all over the airport. You're not flying and you're not staying at an airport hotel, so no reason to go to the airport.

The cars at the EWR station probably belong to employees. There is no cab service.

there is NO car service at the EWR station..if you get off there you need to (i THINK) show your amtrak ticket to get through the gate onto the monorail...(they're employee/airport/NJT/Amtrak vehicles..) there is NO commercial or private vehicle access at that station

(you MIGHT have to pay $5 each..which is the cost that is built into NJ Transit tickets...)

Get off at Newark Penn...get a cab...$40-50..not cheap but that is the easiest..

there is no checked bags on the Regionals.. BUT there ARE red caps at PHL and at NWK (amtrak station codes) so you can get help if you can find one...

i would not head back til around 1...just to allow for delays...there is a waiting area in the station..and some stuff to eat.....the station isn't all that exciting but it is busy and well patrolled...there is also a Hilton attached...

Archived