Wheel chair cabins?

billroddy

I have a hip replacement and need a shower only cabin. If none are available can I book a wheel chair cabin, or does HAL reserve those only with wheel chairs?

Bill

Typically handicap accessible cabins are available for anyone with mobility issues. You can contact HAL directly, I found this on their website:

For additional information on the ship's facilities or ability to accommodate guests’ needs that may not be covered in this section, please feel free to contact the Access & Compliance Department at:

Phone: 800-547-8493 (or locally at 206-206-626-7044) TTY: 800-254-8669 Email: HALW_Access@hollandamerica.com

Availability of shower-only cabins will vary greatly, depending on class of ship you are thinking of booking.

On the Prinsendam, generally every other cabin has a shower-only.

On the S- and R-class ships, all the inside cabins have a shower-only. If you want an outside or higher class of cabin, then you would need a handicap cabin.

On the Vista and Signature ships, again, all the inside cabins have a shower only. There are some outside cabins with shower only. I believe there are some balcony cabins that are shower-only, also. The SS/SY/SZ cabins have a separate shower.

Keep in mind that the cabins marked "handicap" are not restricted to wheelchair users only. There are other handicaps which limit the passenger, and the accessible cabins fit the bill. Certainly with the high sides on some of those tubs, there is a huge problem for some.

Archived