question about children

cruise1199

Going on the breeze in December and my grandson will be 19 months old. Is there childcare available and a children's pool? I'm hearing different comment about babies being allowed in pools but have been on multiple cruises and see little one in the pools. Just never paid closes attention

They have to be 2 years old for Camp Carnival, they do have babysitting for a fee, but I'm not sure what it is. Also from my understanding, swim diapers are not allowed in the pools because they leak. The child has to be potty trained for the swimming pools.

They have to be 2 years old for Camp Carnival, they do have babysitting for a fee, but I'm not sure what it is. Also from my understanding, swim diapers are not allowed in the pools because they leak. The child has to be potty trained for the swimming pools.

correct....and if you use a babysitter you will be given a phone or walkie talkie. You could possibly be called to change a diaper, or two.

I don't know why you would hear different things about babies in pools

it is very clear....NO babies in the pools that are not potty trained period

The pools are not chlorinated, your baby and others could get sick

If you feel your baby "must" swim you could bring a little blow up pool or rubber ducky to use on a balcony, or even at side of the deck, get the deckhands to help you empty it in a drain (tip them LOL)

It is very clear...NO swim diapers...the rules are right there

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88#q-544822

Use of the pools : Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers, in swimming diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools.

I don't know why you would hear different things about babies in pools

For various reasons:

• Some cruise lines DO allow babies in diapers in some pools, so several people erroneously assume that all cruise lines allow it. Royal Caribbean for example has the Baby H20 Zone in some of their ships (which by the way is wonderful). It's an area with pools that are chemically treated and temperature controlled specifically for babies and toddlers in diapers. Our 15 month old (at the time) LOVED it.
  • Even though Carnival does not allow babies in diapers in pools, their own attendants WILL tell you that kids in diapers are allowed in the splash areas as long as their butts are not submerged at any point in time. I have first hand knowledge because Carnival's attendants actually encouraged me to let our son in diapers play in the Mini-Works area both on the Fascination and the Dream.

Is there childcare available

Carnival is not the best cruise line for children under the age of 2. Their program severely ignores this age group. If you have the option, check out Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. Both cruise lines have wonderful kids programs beginning at 6 months of age. Royal Caribbean's Royal Babies and Tots program is absolutely phenomenal with a dedicated nursery, activities by Fisher Price, free play area, pool area, and even an in-cabin TV channel specifically for the littlest one.

Although your 19 month old will have limited options on Carnival, there will be babysitting available after 10pm. Also, you'll have the option of dropping off your child at Camp Carnival for a few hours every morning. Both options are available for a fee.

Hours will vary depending on your itinerary, but here's the "Under 2" card that we received when we sailed on the Dream. It should give you a pretty good idea about what you can expect.

DSCF9501.jpg

There's a good reason for this too. My DB's little granddaugher went into the pool at their timeshare and they thought it would be fine because she had a swim diaper on...opps stuff got in the pool and it had to be closed down for the whole day. It really upset the other quests, some who were on their last day of vacation and couldn't use the pool one last time. So, the DB learned a lesson the hard way when he had to spend the rest of the week with people giving him and my SIL dirty looks.:o

Going on the breeze in December and my grandson will be 19 months old. Is there childcare available and a children's pool? I'm hearing different comment about babies being allowed in pools but have been on multiple cruises and see little one in the pools. Just never paid closes attention

NOn-potty trained babies are NOT allowed in the pool. Swim diapers are not leak proof.

There's a good reason for this too. My DB's little granddaugher went into the pool at their timeshare and they thought it would be fine because she had a swim diaper on...opps stuff got in the pool and it had to be closed down for the whole day. It really upset the other quests, some who were on their last day of vacation and couldn't use the pool one last time. So, the DB learned a lesson the hard way when he had to spend the rest of the week with people giving him and my SIL dirty looks.:o

Our homeowners association actually passed a rule/"law" that charges the offending family for a cleanup/reshocking of the community pool.

We had one kid who was a repeat offender....his grandparetns kept the baby out when they finally got the bill for cleanup from our pool service

Otherwise, the whole association might get higher condo fee thanks to this one irresponsible family

Now I think the kid is older so he can go back in the pool whenever he visits here

For various reasons:

• Some cruise lines DO allow babies in diapers in some pools, so several people erroneously assume that all cruise lines allow it. Royal Caribbean for example has the Baby H20 Zone in some of their ships (which by the way is wonderful). It's an area with pools that are chemically treated and temperature controlled specifically for babies and toddlers in diapers. Our 15 month old (at the time) LOVED it.
  • Even though Carnival does not allow babies in diapers in pools, their own attendants WILL tell you that kids in diapers are allowed in the splash areas as long as their butts are not submerged at any point in time. I have first hand knowledge because Carnival's attendants actually encouraged me to let our son in diapers play in the Mini-Works area both on the Fascination and the Dream.

NCL has apparently cut back their baby/toddler program from what I have read

I do still question why anyone would book a cruise without doing more research

Surely anyone booking a cruise with a baby/toddler would call the cruiseline, google the info etc...

why would they book the cruise and then come on here?? I have seen it before...people all upset about their baby can't swim blah blah...well why book the cruise in the first place?? Google is your friend....800 number at Carnival is free to call

I don't doubt that the staff does not follow the rules...however I have seen them remove babies , once I was on a cruise when a fool put his naked 6 month old baby in a hot tub and got really angry when security made them get out LOL

I think they should follow the rules...the swim diapers are proven not to work

Anyone who lets a baby frolic around on Carnival is just inconsiderate and foolish IMHO> Maybe Royal and Disney have a system that is geared for this but Carnival doesn't. They could put others at risk and even put their own baby at risk

Many of us *me me me...have reasonably suggested the ducky tub/pool or whatever...little blow up pool. I would rather see that than see a baby in a hot tub. I can and will call security btw

and I urge others with half a brain to do the same

Noro virus etc....there have been deaths from this...there was a tragedy in Atlanta, little girl died....and ironically a poster on this board was in that pool as a child and still suffers auto immune problems from it she has posted

but some people think it is OOOOHHH so important for their little baby to "swim" when of course the babies are far too young to even remember what is going on and would be just as happy with a little pool or even a little bucket of water etc

Have a good time. No, child will not be allowed in the pools on the ship. But there are still beaches and/or resorts in port.

They have child care for a fee after 10 p.m. for a bit on port days and early on sea days (8-10) I believe. Or you can do as we did and go to camp carnival in the mornings on sea days to let him/her play with the toys and run around, with us there. They do not charge for that.

We went when our dd was 15 months. Child care options were definitely limited but there. DH and I were tired and I am not sure I would go with a baby the same age again, but I have great memories, like DD's look of amazement when she saw the water in Grand Cayman, or the painted people in Cozumel.

There is a family board and you can find great tips there. I was researching for a cruise with my what will be 9 month old twins and 18 month old nephew. You will find a lot of child bashing on taking kids on a cruise but if you follow the rules and are prepared you will all have a great time.

We were on the Pride in May and I saw babies in diapers in the pool. The parents were not approached by any Carnival employee. I don't agree with it, Im just saying I saw it.

That is disgusting

I would certainly call them out on it, and/or ask for a supervisor

It really is so unsanitary

The parents are so ignorant...their baby could get sick from it too

ridiculous

unless the child is potty trained, they cannot use any pool.

This statement should be revised to "unless the person is potty trained, they cannot use any pool"

Just to be safe.

I have wondered from time to time of the people in the pool.

That is disgusting

I would certainly call them out on it, and/or ask for a supervisor

It really is so unsanitary

The parents are so ignorant...their baby could get sick from it too

ridiculous

I would also say something.

I am not even getting in the middle of this, but please please please do not put your baby in a hot tub. Hot tubs are dangerous for children under 10, they can't regulate their body temp and the drain holes are the perfect size to trap babies and arms and legs of toddlers and children. Ask a pediatrician how many deaths per year are attributed to hot tubs? Every cruise that I go on I am petrified for these kids who are not attended in hot tubs and staff that will not enforce the rules. Someones child is going to die and these cruise lines are going to act dumb, but they know the risks.

Archived