Non-US Citizen & Visa for Port Excursion

mitchmagi

Hi all

Please can you confirm that if you are a non-US citizen - you don't require a visa for each and every port destination that you visit ( besides your US visa )

What is the procedure about handing passports over at the start of the cruise for foreigners ?

Thanks

All I know about the passports is that being from Canada and cruising 2006 to the Caribbean I need a passport,, unsure of them taking your passports I have read something about that,, but I really can't see that happening... Maybe a former cruiser will be able to answer that one !

They will take and hold non-US citizen's passports for the entire cruise. Depending on where you're from, you may need visas for individual ports of call. Every country has different rules for non-US citizens. You need to check with each country and learn about their rules for foreign nationals and vias requirements.

That is correct. Depending on your itinerary, you will get it back upon return to your starting point or at the first US port. We went on a San Juan-San Juan cruise but had to clear immigration on the ship in St. Thomas. All non-US had their passports returned when they went through. Same thing happened in San Diego on our recent Miami-LA cruise. When you are in port, just have a photo id and your sign and sail card and you should be all right.

You will need to review the visa requirements with each port you are stopping at. If a country requires citizens of your home country to have a visa you will be required to obtain one prior to cruising or you will be denied boarding at the start of the cruise. Most European countries have good relationships with most Caribbean nations so it should not be a problem, but you may want to confirm just in case.

Yes, you will surrender your passport to the cruise ship staff at boarding.

I am Canadian and we have had our passports (or other id prior to using passports) taken on each of our 6 cruises. On our eastern itinerary it was as bigal said and we got them back in St. Thomas.

My husband and I usually (not always) have to hand in our passports and get them back from Immigration during the disembarkation process for customs. It's a good idea to have some photo ID with you... a driver's license or health card will work with your sail and sign card to get back on board. I was nervous when they took it the first time, but it's the routine... if you're worried make sure to take a photocopy of it with you.

Archived