Silver Cloud - 3/29/13 Round Trip San Juan

TravelJane

Looking forward to being on this delightful ship next March. I understand that this is a Virtuoso Voyager Club sailing for those who booked the cruise with a Virtuoso travel agency. I have read details of the special event in Barbados, and it sounds delightlful. Please let me know if you booked with cruise with your Virtuoso agent so that we can introduce ourselves.

Acrually, I was just e-m with a friend about this exact cruise. We will be there with a group of friends. We are all also booked by a Virtuoso agent. Look forward to it, even tho' it is a long time away. We will be on the Cloud a few times before then. It should be all dressed up from drydock by then.

Acrually, I was just e-m with a friend about this exact cruise. We will be there with a group of friends. We are all also booked by a Virtuoso agent. Look forward to it, even tho' it is a long time away. We will be on the Cloud a few times before then. It should be all dressed up from drydock by then.

Do you know what the Virtuoso event will be?

Yes, I do have the details on the special event exclusive for Virtuoso clients. This sounds delightful. I think that we will also meet prior to this, on another evening, for a private cocktail party just for Virtuoso travelers! Make sure that your travel agent registers you for this event. That is the only way you get to go. I am told that this special event requires a minimum number, so advance registration is very important. I know that we are registered for it!

Bridgetown Highlights with Lunch at Champers Restaurant

Length : 5 hours

Description

Drink in the beauty that Barbados has to offer as, from the Bridgetown Port you travel to the island’s “platinum” coast along the sheltered Caribbean Sea, where 5* hotels and villas nestle side by side with Bajan chattel houses. Historic Speightstown, affectionately called “Little Bristol” will show off its colonial heritage and blend of modern day hustle and bustle before giving way to “old Barbados” and the quaint fishing village of Shermans. A vestige of old Barbados.

We will depart from the port of Bridgetown in deluxe air-conditioned motor coaches for an exhilarating tour of this lovely island with wonderful sweeping views of the Caribbean. We will begin with a drive along the West or “Gold” Coast of the Island. We will pass through what used to be called Jamestown, now Holetown, where in 1625 a group from England landed and claimed the island for King James. After, the island remained British until 1966 when on November 30th it gained independence from England.

Originally, a peaceful tribe of Indians called the Arawaks inhabited the Island. Mysteriously they disappeared by the time the Portuguese arrived in 1536. The Portuguese never stayed long and did little else other than to give the Island its name, Los Barbados or the bearded ones, presumably after the Bearded Fig Tree with its long aerial roots much resembling a giant beard.

We will continue on to the picturesque scenery of Bathsheba and the East Coast. Bathsheba is one of the most striking areas of Barbados. Here the majesty of towering cliffs and windswept trees make this a great spot for surfing and photos. Our drive continues along the East Coast where we will see Cherry Tree Hill, which overlooks the parish of St. Andrew, also called the Scotland District. Once covered with cherry trees, this area is now lined with mahogany trees, which were introduced into Barbados in the late 18th century.

Our tour takes us through the lush St George Valley with a stop at the beautiful John’s Parish Church.

This historic church is an excellent example of a classic Gothic Church. The church is famous for its appearance of having been carved into the cliff-side on which it sits; and its magnificent views of the rugged coastline. It is interesting to stroll in the small graveyard behind the church where the antique graves overlook miles of sunny beach.

Continuing through the St. George Valley, past the sugar cane fields, we will now make our way to Champers Restaurant for lunch. Right on the water’s edge, Champers Restaurant is one of the leading restaurants on the South Coast with an extensive Caribbean flavored menu. With wonderful ambiance and an incredible menu, Champers is bound to please even the most discerning palate.

Following our lunch, we will return to the pier making a stop en-route in town for those who wish to explore on their own. Guests wishing to remain in town must make their own arrangements back to the ship.

Do you know what the Virtuoso event will be?

Be sure that your travel agent goes on and registers you all for the special Voyager Club event in Barbados. I know from experience that the event does not take place without a mminimum number of Virtuoso passengers being booked for the special event! I know that the dining spots on these events are absolutely delightful. We are certainly looking forward to being there!

Our travel agent told us that there is another option for Virtuoso passengers who do not want the tour and lunch. However, she told us that you have to be registered with Virtuoso to get the optional amenity and to be invited to the special cocktail party hosted by Virtuoso! That is always a nice event where you get to meet the other Virtuoso passengers!

Will be on the lookout. We have a New Year's cruise planned, and I will probably do another as of yet undetermind cruise. I have to assist in all of the logistics of a move for my son's medical practice prior to the end of the year. Until I know when that move will be taking place, my travel plans are being held captive. We haven't cruises since New Years, and I am ready to go right now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Duct Tape - Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to meeting you. I've used your namesake product a lot in the Air Force and on our boat!

TravelJane - Hope to share some stories with you guys as well. We live in Nashville, but I grew up in Elizabethtown, KY.

Be sure you use a Virtuoso travel agent so that you get the complimentary Voyager Club shore excursion in Barbados. If you don't have one, I can refer you to one so that you can get that perk! I think that my travel agenet mentioned she has group space on that particular sailing. Just message me with your phone number if you need information.

Archived