Donate new bike after we use it in Alaska

WASUP

we have looked into renting bikes when we are there and the going rate is 150-200 a week for one bike...so we are going to buy one at a local Walmart and not spend a heck of alot, we just want one in case we would like to take a ride. My question is: where can we donate the bike? Is there an organiztion in Anchorage that might be willing to take a almost brand new one week old bike for future use...

Thanks

I can't help you (but I'm sure someone will be grateful for your donation)

I'm just responding to say I think you've got a great idea and commend you for your unselfishness.

Good Job

-Monte

I have to say that at first I was doing it for us to save money, then I thought that the fees to rent the bikes was so high and we were not even sure if we could use it everyday...

Thanks for the suggestions, we will look up a way to give it to a club for the children.....

Thanks

Marlene

Marlene:

I know that some of the crew have bikes with them on cruises, we have met several who use it for transportation and recreation, so they must have some place for storage. That might be an option, I can guess that you would call Princess for information?

Looking forward to seeing you in 2 weeks!

Carol and Norm

If you call the local Police in Anchorage, I bet they'd be able to point you in the right direction to donate the bike to a Children's Organization.

I think it's a GREAT idea (and probably a tax write off!!).

Hello WASUP:

It's nice to see that you are concerned about the community that you will be visiting. This is one aspect of travelling that not a lot of people think about but it is important. IMHO.

When I'm travelling, I make it a point to try to give back. Granted, it isn't much but ...

I think the Boys and Girls club is an excellent idea. The United Way may also be a possibility http://www.uway.ak.org/home/index.cfm also. Another possibility would be the American Youth Hostel or the Spenard Hostel.

The idea of leaving it for the crew is good also. I usually donate books to the crew at the end of a cruise so I don't have to lug them around.

Rogue

MOre then likely give to the community as we will have to tow it to Whittier if we leave with a ship crew member, but I liked that idea.

I am going to call the few numbers I have and check out a donation in the anchorage area....

Boys club or Police league of some kind...I am so glad to hear from everyone and get such great ideas......

Carol.....did we connect with room numbers?

We are also meeting a couple from Texas..I already have there cabin #....

Thanks again...we leave in 12 days!!!! Soon single digit countdown!!! Thursday will be 9 days!!! BUt I am not counting...oh and 7 more work days!!!

Archived