How long before Luggage Arrives in Cabin?

I'm heading out on the NCL Sun this Sunday the 15th. I'm curious, once I check my luggage with the Porter at the pier, how long will it typically be before my luggage shows up in our cabin?

Do they put the luggage in the cabins or leave it outside the cabin door?

We dropped our luggage off to the porters around 11:45am and it was all totally in the cabin by 5pm. 3 bags arrived at 4pm and then 2 at 4:30 and the last 2 at 5pm exactly. It was all out in the hallway. But the room steward helped me bring some in. Yes we had 7 bags and a carryon (cameras in carry on) but it was for 4 people.

Have a great cruise.

linda:o

It can take anywhere from an hour to 4 or 5. I always suggest my clients bring a change of clothes for dinner and anything they will need on board with them just to be safe. Luggage is arriving much faster than in the days gone by. I don't think we have ever waited more than a few hours and yes, they will leave it outside your cabin door if you are not there. NMnita

That's great info.:)

I thought I'd read another message on this board last week where someone mentioned that their luggage arrived in their room that evening, so I thought I'd check to see if that was normal.

Thanks.

It is VERY normal to receive your luggage in the evening. We arrived at the pier early thinking maybe if our luggage is one of the first ones on then it will be one of the first ones delivered to our cabin....NOT!!!! One bag arrived within 1 hour another about another hour later and the last bag finally came that evening. At least we got them:eek:

Luggage is loaded by the shore porter into a large (maybe 10x10x10) metal crate. A fork lift is used to move the crate to the proper end of the ship.

Handlers toss the luggage onto the ship through the side hatch. (This part is like making sausage, "you don't want to see how it's done :eek: ") The shipboard staff takes it from there.

So, if your luggage is on the top of the crate, when it goes on to the ship it will be on the bottom of the pile as the crew grabs, tugs and stacks the luggage for movement to the cabins.

The bottom line is that you could be first in and last out or vice versa or any combination of the above. Plan for the luggage to arrive sometime in the evening and be pleasantly surprised when it shows up an hour or two after you board.

I have no personal experience but I bet if you book one of the Garden Villas you could get your luggage a lot quicker (For only $12K per person) :D

Charlie

I would have thought that Latitude members and/or those with Suites (or better) would get their luggage first? I'm neither but curious.
We ride in the cheap seats so that we can cruise more often so, like the Garden Villa, we have no experience with suites.

As far as Latitudes (or the equivalent on other lines) you are separated from your luggage before you enter the lines to check in. I have never noticed any markings on the luggage tags that would indicate "frequent cruiser" status.

Charlie

We are new to this forum and new cruisers. We sail May 21 on the Spirit out of Seattle-- and are very very excited!!

Since we are taking Amtrak, we will not be checking any luggage. Can we carry our own bags to our cabin-- and not have to wait for them??

Since we are taking Amtrak, we will not be checking any luggage. Can we carry our own bags to our cabin-- and not have to wait for them??

When boarding you will have to send any carryon luggage through a scanner. They will only acommodate smaller pieces of luggage, about the same size as you are allowed to take as carryon on an airplane. The remainder of your bags will have to go through the baggage handling system.

Charlie

Our luggage was delivered about 1-1.5 hours after we boarded. We were in an OS, but others near us got theirs the same time ... and all were left outside the doors. So I don't think the suites necessarily get them any earlier. Except probably the GVs--dems da royalty, fer sure.

We put all our luggage in the same container and it still arrived seperately. Someone suggested bringing a change of clothes in your carryon for dinner. Good idea. We were told that jeans were not proper for dinner the first night but they were allowed b/c it was first night. So casual is ok the first day. Shorts were not allowed as we saw others turned away from the Pasta Cafe' and the Seven Seas dining rooms.

Have a great cruise- I'm hooked on then now LOL

Linda:o

Archived