just back from AK with kids

nadeki

We had two great experiences....

In Ketchikan took the city bus to Totem Pole park for $1 each way, kids are free. The bus was very crowded so go early. We caught it in front of the library and it comes every hour.

You need about one hour at totem pole park and then come back and you have the rest of the day to see the town.

Skagway we did a gold panning, dog sledding tour booked through the ship. It was great and family friendly. The tour is run by Matt who has raced the itarod several times and is very interesting to listen to. The kids loved the gold panning experience.

This was our second time to Alaska and the third time on the NCL Jewel.

It is amazing..... we had nice weather and the only day it rained was Victoria and we just stayed on the ship.

My kids are 6 and 8. I don't try to push too much on them about the beautiful scenery and history..... I just take lots of photos so they can never forget they have been there.

These two excursions were great fun for them. They loved the dogs and gold panning......

My kids are just as happy inside in the arcade and gift shop and buffet as I am sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine.....

What is not to love about a cruise ship and this time I gave them the tiniest bit of freedom and they could ride the elevator and I would take the stairs and meet them....

Also, they took naps with them....

Everybody finds a little bit of gold. They give you a pan with dirt in it. When you are finished you have a small jar to put your gold in, they weigh it and tell you the value. Most of our flakes were aledgedly worth around $20. I wonder what would happen if I took them in one of these local stores who buy gold. It might just be glitter.

But yes, there is gold enough for everyone....

Hello - were there a lot of kids on the ship? I am going in a month whith a 5 year old girl. (she is turnin 6 on the cruise) I just want her to have a great time and my little social butterfly wiuld love some new friends!

Archived