NCL Epic or RCCL Oasis of the Seas

Luv1204

Hi, I just saw that NCL is running a kids free promotion. We are book on the RCCL Oasis of the Seas for early December in an inside cabin and was wondering is it worth changing over to the Epic getting a balcony for a cheaper price. The Oasis looks like alot of fun and has got such high reviews on CC 89% while the Epic looks nice also it has not got the good reviews 72%. Is the Oasis that much better? Is the Service and Food Better, the activities, the ship, the all around product? The itineray is the same. What should I do, is the Oasis that much better that I should pay more and have not as good cabin?

Thanks for posting this question, I'm in the same situation. I've been on Epic but not Oasis and I'm booked on the Oasis for halloween. I will probably keep the reservation as I want to experience this ship already and keep putting it off. The Itinierary does not appeal to me but I think it's definitely worth a try. Let's see what others think.

The interesting thing about Epic is that some are madly in love with it, and some really don't care for it. Why? It's quite different than other cruise ships. The entertainment, spa and gym might be the best on the seas. The food is excellent. The water slides are great fun. There seem to be 2 polarizing aspects of this ship that result in some rating it low. First, the rooms are different. The bathroom layout is unlike any other ship, and the rooms are a little narrower and in a "wave" layout. The Epic also doesn't have a traditional promenade deck where you can walk around the entire ship. It's broken up.

Lots of people have sailed the Epic 2, 3 and 4 times since its launch in 2010. It's an amazing ship. Personally, if I could get a balcony on the Epic for the price of an inside on the Oasis I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

There's a ton of Epic information in my signature. If you spend 30 minutes reading you can get a great feel for the ship and whether it's right for you

Vegas Chick, How was your experience on the Epic, did you go with children. How was the food service, atmostphere?

We sailed the Epic last October with 2 children then aged 12 and 8. They LOVED it and gave it a score of 10/10 (my DH and me gave it 9/10). We are going on it again this year.

We only went to one paid restaurant, Teppanyaki and had a great night. No complaints about The service in the main dining rooms. Atmosphere - it's a fun ship full of fun people

I think my answer would have to be neither.

Before Epic I had pretty much only sailed RC Freedom Class and and RC Voyager Class so all pretty big ships.

Epic was great in many ways but it was a very very busy ship. I think that is to do with the way things are laid out.

For me it is all a bit cluttered. Especially the pool decks.

The interesting thing about Epic is that some are madly in love with it, and some really don't care for it. Why? It's quite different than other cruise ships. The entertainment, spa and gym might be the best on the seas. The food is excellent. The water slides are great fun. There seem to be 2 polarizing aspects of this ship that result in some rating it low. First, the rooms are different. The bathroom layout is unlike any other ship, and the rooms are a little narrower and in a "wave" layout. The Epic also doesn't have a traditional promenade deck where you can walk around the entire ship. It's broken up.

Lots of people have sailed the Epic 2, 3 and 4 times since its launch in 2010. It's an amazing ship. Personally, if I could get a balcony on the Epic for the price of an inside on the Oasis I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

There's a ton of Epic information in my signature. If you spend 30 minutes reading you can get a great feel for the ship and whether it's right for you

Thanks for the links.

We are in the same "boat" as some have mentioned we would love to try the RCCL "big ships" but we have been on the EPIC twice. We love it although we wish it would add a few different stops than the "Saint’s" and Nassau. The ship is wonderful! Great SPA, fun pool deck, good food ALL day, and the entertainment is very solid. Kids program is wonderful we had to drag our kids out. The ship is 24/7 and you can do as much or as little as you choose. The rooms are a bit different but 100% adequate to sleep get ready to go or just relax in your own space if you like. We had Mini Suite each time. Just hard to spend the extra cash to get a smaller inside balcony on RCCL. Hope this helps. BIG Fans of the EPIC!

We've been on the Epic twice now and we are booked in October on it for a 7 day day med cruise and the 13 day TA. So obviously we like the Epic but we have never taken children on it. We have also been on the Oasis 4 times and its sister ship the Allure 2 times. On the Allure last July we had two of our grandkids (ages 12 and 9) and they really enjoyed their time on the ship. In our case I think I would do the Oasis with kids and stay with the Epic for the times we don't take kids with us. But because we have never taken kids on the Epic I can't be sure. Not sure if this is any help.

Here's the deal with Oasis/Allure. Views of the ocean really are hard to find unless you

are outside on an upper deck. The specialty restaurants, bars and just about everything

else all face into the ship. I believe this was the biggest design error for these ships.

There are practically no windows where you can sit inside and look out to the water.

It succeeds at being an engineering marvel though.

The Epic has a few more places where you can do that. You can get a window table

in most of the specialty restaurants and watch the ocean wizz by while dining. Or sit

and have a drink in one of several lounges with ocean facing windows.

That being said Epic is the most unattractive ship when viewed from the dock.

Once inside though it really is a non issue.

unless i travel in a suite on the epic, i'm not going back...i didn't care for it whatsoever...the layout of the room was not to my liking...i was in a spa suite....which is not like the suites everyone talks about; i did, however, love the OASIS....a world of difference....and i am an avid NCL person...

have fun..

s

We've been on the Epic twice now and we are booked in October on it for a 7 day day med cruise and the 13 day TA. So obviously we like the Epic but we have never taken children on it. We have also been on the Oasis 4 times and its sister ship the Allure 2 times. On the Allure last July we had two of our grandkids (ages 12 and 9) and they really enjoyed their time on the ship. In our case I think I would do the Oasis with kids and stay with the Epic for the times we don't take kids with us. But because we have never taken kids on the Epic I can't be sure. Not sure if this is any help.

I am booked on the Epic (albeit a Med cruise) in September, so I cannot comment as to how "kid friendly" it is. But, I have been on the Oasis and both my DH and I liked it, but I felt it definately catered to the kids. There just seemed to be sooo much for them to do. My children are older, but we both agreed that the kids would have loved the Oasis when they were younger. The wave boarding seemed to draw crowds at all times, the doughnut shot, climbing walls, and the street party had characters throwing prizes (small trinkets) to the kids. Again, the Epic may be good for them too but the Oasis is for sure! IMHO

AMEN. Loved her so much, we are going again this December.

I have not been on Epic - it is on my list though.

We have been on Oasis and loved it. Our favorite ship to date - it's an engineering marvel. We had an ocean view balcony so that satisfied my need to see the ocean. In particular we loved the full promanade deck, the dining choices, the anytime dining, the aquatheatre, Hairspray, Central Park, the adults only Solarium with it's own buffet, and the many, many pool choices. We felt the Oasis was never crowded (except at the street party), never had issues with getting to or using an elevator and never had an issue getting a chair in the sun or shade at the pools. The general buffet is two-sided with tons of seating. I will say I like NCL's buffets better though - food quality-wise. Plenty for a family to do - many choices for all ages.

You can't go wrong with Oasis.

Archived