Thomson Dream - Upgrade offered. Do I or don't I?

Just had call from Thomson offering an upgrade from my pre-booked inside to an outside plus for my cruise in Sept on the dream.

Did ask if was Free of Charge and no was the answer ? (worth a try):(

Now they have said will cost approx £300 for the 2 weeks, so the question is do I or don't I?

This is my first cruise and our 25th, so do I buy this or save it for money towards my trips.:confused:

And if I do decide yes what cabin would anyone suggest to get? As they said I can choose my cabin.

Husband thinking if they got spare cabins we might get free upgrade on the ship so why pay now? I said don't think it works like that, they not going to give anything for nothing.

Thanks

Wendy

Hi Runfold

My first cruise in October was also for my 25th Anniversary, we took a suite, on our return we booked another cruise and took a standard outside.....booked another for the following year (can't you tell i'm hooked:)) and have gone for an inside.

To be honest we hardly ever spent any time in our cabin so the facilities though lovely were wasted. Knowing what i know now personally i would use the £300 for trips and treats :)

I don't think Thomson do free upgrades, they might if they are no selling well reduce the upgrade price nearer the date.

Everyone gets these phone calls Runfold, it's an easy way to fill the more expensive cabins, then re-selling the cheaper ones, which of course are easier to sell in the first place. Personally I always go for an outside, but plenty of people always go for an inside. And you're right - free upgrades don't happen!

Just had call from Thomson offering an upgrade from my pre-booked inside to an outside plus for my cruise in Sept on the dream.

Did ask if was Free of Charge and no was the answer ? (worth a try):(

Now they have said will cost approx £300 for the 2 weeks, so the question is do I or don't I?

This is my first cruise and our 25th, so do I buy this or save it for money towards my trips.:confused:

And if I do decide yes what cabin would anyone suggest to get? As they said I can choose my cabin.

Husband thinking if they got spare cabins we might get free upgrade on the ship so why pay now? I said don't think it works like that, they not going to give anything for nothing.

Thanks

Wendy

Well I think you are right about not getting 'something for nothing' Wendy. Thomson have taken to trying to sell upgrades both for cabins and plane seats - obviously trying to generate more money (also you take a higher grade, more expensive cabin and perhaps they'll find it easier to sell the cheaper one).

I would say that since you were happy enough with your initial choice of cabin, think hard about whether you want to spend an extra £300 just because you have received a cold call from Thomson. I know it's a special occasion and only you can judge how much you feel it's worth it to upgrade. But as it's your first cruise, my guess is that you'll be so excited about the whole experience as long as you are comfortable in your cabin (and you probably won't be spending much time in there) you might like to think what else you might spend that £300 on. Apart from excursions, or your bar bill (if you're not AI) there are lots of things on board which you could treat yourselves to; e.g. a lovely meal in the Grill (£20 p.p), a spa session, chocolate covered strawberries, bottle of champagne - so many options to make your trip memorable and you could choose several or probably all of these for the price of the up-grade.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a fabulous time - and congratulations on your forthcoming anniversary. :)

I agree with Kruzseeka - it's sales tactics so don't be pushed into it unless you really want to; one of the latest calls they make is to get you to upgrade to the additional baggage allowance - I have had 2 phone calls already from different sales people in 2 days for our summer 2013 cruise trying to get us to pay for extra baggage! Also, we have pre-paid for seats together on the flights as we are travelling with family (& our agent basically threw it in as a freebie!) and they even tried to get us to pay extra for extra legroom/exit seats too - even though our son will only be 13 and they won't allow people under 14 to have the exit seats!!

kruzseeka I think your right I might save my pennies for a spa :D

We have AI, we got champagne and starwberries because we booked with the TA and already booked inside cabin 6104.

So i think might treat myself rather than give more money to Thomson's

so:p:p:p to thomson's.

Thanks for all your quick responses

I take it those that have received phone calls have booked directly through Thomsons?

I have never had a call in 4 cruises with Thomsons regarding an upgrade,extra leg room seats on planes,extra luggage.

Is it because I`m Scottish?:D

I take it those that have received phone calls have booked directly through Thomsons?

I have never had a call in 4 cruises with Thomsons regarding an upgrade,extra leg room seats on planes,extra luggage.

:D:D

We always book through the 'other' Thomson site and have had phone calls so not just restricted to Thomson shop or on-line bookings although I suppose the 'other' site is more or less Thomson too so perhaps there is something in your assumption! :confused: Having said that, I wouldn't think they'd care too much who you had booked with - if they approach you direct to up-grade, they'll reap the benefits so it would seem to be a bit short-sighted to restrict the contacts according to who the passenger booked with.

Lucky you!!

We book with my friend who works in a Thomson shop but it is Thomson Cruises that phone us - I guess they share the same database whereas other agents might not be allowed to divulge contact numbers directly to Thomson ..????

Probably..............:D

I am Scottish too and I've never had a phonecal :eek:

I'm not Scottish & I've never had a phonecall. Didn't book directly with thomsons though & not sure which other co you're talking about :confused: :p

I'm not Scottish & I've never had a phonecall. Didn't book directly with thomsons though & not sure which other co you're talking about :confused: :p

Me neither, and from south yorkshire like you, the other might be cdeals

Me neither, and from south yorkshire like you, the other might be cdeals

Ahhh mines TC. They might not like us Yorkshire folk :p

We're flying from Doncaster for the first time, NEXT SATURDAY lol :D:p:D:p

Ahhh mines TC. They might not like us Yorkshire folk :p

We're flying from Doncaster for the first time, NEXT SATURDAY lol :D:p:D:p

Doncasters not a bad airport, for all bar 1 of our cruise we've flown from there, less than half an hour journey for us, theres not much there to do before the flight, not many shops and mainly coffee bars

Archived