Preloaded cards for holiday use

I know some on here have used the kind of cards which you preload before going away and then avoid the charges on CC etc. - also you have the security of knowing the money is in place before you go. I have never used one so sorry my understanding of them is a bit vague.

But this morning on BBC News they had on the presenter of Radio 4's Money Box prog - Paul Lewis who was flagging up some issues regarding the small print. He actually likes the idea of the product and has recommended them in the past but is doing an article about it on today's programme because some people have fallen foul of the small print.

I think the problem has arisen when people have had money left on their cards and put it away for their next holiday. Some cards have 'inactivity' clauses which after say, 3 months of inactivity on the card may attract charges from it £2, £3 a month - even one at £5. One lady who had £50 something left on the card at the end of her holiday and when she went to use it again all the money had disappeared on these charges over a period of time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01k9lc8 (last paragraph)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/9731183.stm

Just thought it was worth alerting anyone who has such a card - recommendation was to check the small print and perhaps if they apply and you have money left on the card it may be an idea to spend it if you're not on holiday for a few months!

I can see what a good idea these cards are but hope no-one's been caught out with this.

I have a Caxton FX card which I opened with the minimum £10 deposit a few years ago.

Never had to use it and never been hit with underusage fees etc., the tenner is still in credit.

It must be linked to a debit card so it can be automatically funded if required - so you need to ensure your debit card account is in good health.

I found the terms and conditions as published online quite easy to follow.

It can be applied for and managed online.

One of the prepaid cards recommended on Martin's Money Tips website - worth looking at - but, as always, read the small print.

They have a UK customer call centre and my one and only enquiry was quickly and efficiently answered.

We took out a Thompson Travel Card. They last 3 years and once you registar your card they would e-mail you should it be ready to expire giving you the option of renewal of the card. Even if you do not claim your mony back you have up to six year to do so.

We took ours out a few weeks ago for a trip to Ireland found it handy for refuelling the car but you can not use them on the pay pumps itself .

I was also told they do not accept them on their own Thomsons airline but they were hoping to alter this .

Can reload online or put funds on in any Thomson travel agents .

To get a new card is instant and free if your in the travel agents, choice of cards is Sterling,Dollars or Euro .

I have a Caxton FX card which I opened with the minimum £10 deposit a few years ago.

Never had to use it and never been hit with underusage fees etc., the tenner is still in credit.

It must be linked to a debit card so it can be automatically funded if required - so you need to ensure your debit card account is in good health.

I found the terms and conditions as published online quite easy to follow.

It can be applied for and managed online.

One of the prepaid cards recommended on Martin's Money Tips website - worth looking at - but, as always, read the small print

They have a UK customer call centre and my one and only enquiry was quickly and efficiently answered.

I have the caxton fx card as well and have used it in europe when we`ve not been on a cruise and in my experience with this card i have to say it`s first rate i`ve never incured any charges with it, but they do have a charge they put on the card if you have money left on the card after your holiday and you request to have the balance transferred back to your bank account

You sound surprised :D :p :D :p

On reflection, no, not really. Thomsons work in strange ways at times.

A few years ago I had a right fallout with the local High Street store where we'd been customers for the best part of 20 years and had bought numerous holidays.

I ordered some foreign currency, used my debit card to settle - and they demanded my passport as proof of ID before handing over the cash.

I reminded them that they had held my details on their system for years, was well known to them personally, and was a shareholder in (the now defunct) Thomsons Founders Club.

They hid behind the "Company policy" excuse.

Since then I've booked elsewhere.

I've thought about these cards but as far as I can tell they would be loaded with Euros/dollars what happens if you are in Iceland or Norway where Euros aren't the currency? can you still withdraw from a hole in the wall as you would with a personal debit card. Thanks

I've thought about these cards but as far as I can tell they would be loaded with Euros/dollars what happens if you are in Iceland or Norway where Euros aren't the currency? can you still withdraw from a hole in the wall as you would with a personal debit card. Thanks

The Card I use is a Thomson (Mastercard) Travel card . Regardless of if it is loaded in Sterling ,Dollar or Euro the following terms apply ,

should you use it on another currency ... EG hole in the wall , once you get the card you change the pin to what you want :)

10. TRANSACTIONS MADE IN FOREIGN CURRENCIES

10.1 If you make a Transaction in a currency other than the currency in which your Card is issued (a Foreign Currency Transaction), the amount deducted from your Account will be converted to the currency in which your Card is issued on the day we receive details of that Foreign Currency Transaction. We will use a rate set by MasterCard which will be available on each Business Day and changes in the exchange rate shall take effect immediately. We will add Foreign Currency Transaction Fee (see paragraph 11) to this rate. Exchange rates can fluctuate and they may change between the time a Transaction is made and the time it is deducted from your Available Balance. For Transactions made in the EEA and in an EEA currency you can find out the MasterCard Exchange Rate by emailing Customer Services.

Edited by kalos

We used a thomson card last year in Majorca and had it stolen and within two days had the money in our hands. We have not used it when in corfu but would use it if we went back to spain.

• 1 year later...

I have been looking for a card that can be used with any currency without any charges for doing so .

I was surfing through the money supermarket site and came across the Kalixia card which through them

they refund the purchase fee of the card .(£6.95)

It works in Sterling but should you be on a cruise that goes to various countries , you could use it in shops

and cafes etc without the need to get any cash .

It has to be used every six months but has it has no minimum purchase ..go to the local shop and buy a bottle of milk

or something to keep it charge free.

They will send you an e-mail reminder of this should you get near your six month inactivity date .

They do charge a fee if you use it for ATM cash machine /cash withdrawals

but to top up online via debit card or cash in a bank it's free.

I realise it will not suit everyone's needs but ,if you steer clear of cash withdrawals you end up with a card that should cost you nothing :cool::).

So a heads up for anyone who same as me has been looking for a back up card :D

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaid-cards/details/?productCode=PPC_kalixa_prepaid&index=2&count=11&selectedProductId=PPC_kalixa_prepaid&gid=PPC_OCCASIONAL&page=

Thanks for that kalos - useful to know. I have a Clarity card which is very good - no charge per transaction to draw cash and exchange rates are as for the day of purchase with no commission. But it is certainly a good idea to have a back-up - our back-up at the moment does attract charges so this could be a useful alternative.

Last year I used an ICE (International Currency Exchange) Travellers Cashcard on Treasures of the Mediterranean cruise and stay. It was exactly what we needed and allowed us to pre load the card with Euros (Sterling version also available) and use it to withdraw cash from ATM's and also pay for items in shops - with the added attraction of cash back on any purchases. Card worked flawlessly and provided great peace of mind and a free backup card in case one got lost.

They also refunded up to 300 unused Euro's we returned with, at the original exchange rate they were bought for.

Here's some of the 'blurb':

FREE of all fees

FREE cash withdrawals

FREE backup card

1.5% cashback

https://www.iceplc.com/home/

We had a Thomson's prepaid card a few years ago. We tried to pay off our onboard account with it but they wouldn't accept it because it wasn't the card we registered on boarding.

They allowed us to register a second card to buy jewellery, so it can be done. I suppose it depends who you ask. I think that is an issue these days with customer service. Some people just can't be bothered to help.