Oxygen on board ship

We are booked for a Thanksgiving cruise again this year and Mom has had to go on oxygen. Has anyone had any experience with taking oxygen on-board ship? Right now to me it's overwhelming and we are thinking of canceling this trip and postponing til the spring. Any thoughts from any of you? Mom doesn't want to go and I hate to have her go and spend the whole time in the cabin.

I've seen lots of people with O2 on the ship. I am presuming she has one of those compact units that can be carried easily. If not, definitely need to get one. As above, flying on the plane is more an issue.

I don't think Regent is the issue but rather finding out what airlines you are flying and getting their regulations.... Airlines do not want O bottles on their planes and this is the REAL problem!

Call and get the regulations and understand them for EACH airline you are traveling and if that is a go... Then contact Regent and understand their rules for O on their ship and how it will impact your trip... Excursions etc.

I think your biggest concern is will the Airlines let you fly with O and if their rules are something you can live with!

Get "Travel Insurance" which covers pre-existing conditions..

A good TA should also be able to get the airlines rules ( all of the ones you will fly) in writing and assist you in understanding what steps you need to take.

Thanks for all the replies. Luckily we are driving and the airline is not the issue. Mom is the issue. She has now refused to go and wants us to go without her--it IS over Thanksgiving so we are not wild about this idea. The TA was clueless about the issue and Regent was not a font of information either. I think I shall plod thru-- but as we need to make a decision soon, may cancel this one and book for March instead. THANK YOU for all of your replies.

This is why I really like these forums!

Don't know how old your mom is, but the last. 2 years, my 94 yr old mom said that she wasn't coming to my house for thanksgiving and to just have it without her. The reason: she thought it was too much trouble for us to have to come and get her, and she got too tired. I just told her no way and to be ready at 10 am be ause my son would be there to pick her up. And she came and had a good time.

Oxygen is not a problem to the airlines. We just returned from a cruise on the new Riviera and my daughter was with us. She uses oxygen at night and the airlines had no problem with her boarding and placing her unit in the overhead bin. On the ship she had no problem at all. We bought her a new unit that was easy to roll through the airport. The hotels that we stayed at before and after the cruise could not have been more helpful in aiding us in setting up the unit and making sure we had the proper adapters. It really is not as overwhelming as it might seem. This is the first time we have traveled since the oxygen has been necessary.

My husband also uses oxygen and I am interested in knowing whether your daughter took a cylinder/tank on the plane and on the ship. He uses an E tank and have taken it on ship in US but didn't think we would be able to take it on an airplane and thus have been limited as to where we cruise.

Inquire your current oxygen provider as to lending/renting a Portable Oxygen Concentrator; I think that's what Dorie is referring to; hopefully she will return. Certain models are approved by airlines is my understanding.

My daughter uses a constant flow oxygen compressor. They are very hard to rent so we went ahead and purchased one for her. US Air was most accommodating and made it very easy for her. She just rolled it onboard and had them help her place it in the overhead bin. They told her if she needed to use oxygen during the flight, which was 10 hours, she should let them know and she could use the oxygen supplied by the plane.

Debi,

I used to be a general manager for a medical equipment and supply company, so I can quite possibly help you with this. Start out with a letter from your mom's primary or pulmonalogist stating that your mom is able to travel, the liters required and a statement that she does require O2. You should receive something from Regent in advance asking about medical issues.

It sounds as though you are quite close to the pier, so your mom's own HME dealer should be able to provide her with a concentrator as well as enough liquid O2 to last the length of the trip.

leb, the FAA will forbid you to take your own O2 onboard a plane. You may use the airlines O2 during the flight. You may need to find a local HME dealer to assist as well as Traveler's assitance at the airport if O2 is needed in the terminal. It is likely you will need to inform the airlines a week in advance about the O2 as well as carrying a letter from your primary/Pulmonologist. However, you need to initially tell them before you even book as each airport/airline can be a little different and you don't want any surprises. It is a little more work, but it is so worth it. Please don't allow this to stop you from going!

Wow, I just got a real education researching this issue....found a (commercial) site but had lots of info "travelo2.com"....they apparently supply O2 for folks traveling, to airports and to cruise ships. Anyway might be worth a read!

Also, don't forget to carry a copy of your Rx for the oxygen. The hotel we stayed at asked to see the Rx even though we had faxed a copy ahead.

Don't rely on the ship to help you find a supplier, we asked and they offered no help at all, not even the port agents phone number.

Thanks to all of you for your input. The new track is to do a March 2013 cruise as Mom just doesn't want to deal with the oxygen. I think she just doesn't want to get caught not using the oxygen when we're around!

But now I know the answers to this important question!

Archived