Kayak rental in Kona

jones4664

Has anyone rented kayaks in Kona? Can you give me some info on who you rented from? We want to kayak across the bay to Capt Cooks Monument and already have our landing permits.

Thanks for any help!

There are several vendors right along the highway. BUT, I would suggest you consider just renting from someone at the parking lot. This is NOT beach access, it's a several foot above platform and that person, will help launch debark you. Unless you are well skilled you won't be able to do this yourself.

I just pull into the lot, and have rented from the lot. Last two trips, have used Wayne. :)

There are several vendors right along the highway. BUT, I would suggest you consider just renting from someone at the parking lot. This is NOT beach access, it's a several foot above platform and that person, will help launch debark you. Unless you are well skilled you won't be able to do this yourself.

I just pull into the lot, and have rented from the lot. Last two trips, have used Wayne. :)

Thank you! Can I ask another question or two? What parking lot are the kayak rentals located and that you can launch from? What are the chances they would run out of inventory? We need 3 double kayaks. I've only seen the rentals from the highway where they attach the kayaks to your car.

I appreciate your help!!!

Thank you! Can I ask another question or two? What parking lot are the kayak rentals located and that you can launch from? What are the chances they would run out of inventory? We need 3 double kayaks. I've only seen the rentals from the highway where they attach the kayaks to your car.

I appreciate your help!!!

The parking lot, you leave from- end of the road. Look at a map. Get there early. Are you doing this on a cruise stop?? Are you all experienced kayakers, have good water shoes?? The pull out at the monument- is tricky. Good footwear is necessary. I find going in from the right side the easiest, stay in the water until you no longer can, right up to under the trees.

This is definately a better activity for overnight visitors rather than cruise ship daytrippers.

The parking lot, you leave from- end of the road. Look at a map. Get there early. Are you doing this on a cruise stop?? Are you all experienced kayakers, have good water shoes?? The pull out at the monument- is tricky. Good footwear is necessary. I find going in from the right side the easiest, stay in the water until you no longer can, right up to under the trees.

This is definately a better activity for overnight visitors rather than cruise ship daytrippers.

I've heard the K bay has the best snorkeling in BI, or all of Hawaii. So going there on kayak is one way to go snorkeling.

What makes it tricky to launch a kayak there, other than needing good watershoes? I was thinking to rent a double kayak, for my wife and I. We are on a cruise, POA, so it'll be during the day when we go. I actually would've like to scuba dive there if I can. But don't find scuba shopes operating there. So might scuba in the morning, then drive to K-bay to snorkel with my wife.

I've heard the K bay has the best snorkeling in BI, or all of Hawaii. So going there on kayak is one way to go snorkeling.

What makes it tricky to launch a kayak there, other than needing good watershoes? I was thinking to rent a double kayak, for my wife and I. We are on a cruise, POA, so it'll be during the day when we go. I actually would've like to scuba dive there if I can. But don't find scuba shopes operating there. So might scuba in the morning, then drive to K-bay to snorkel with my wife.

PERMITS, you HAVE to have one. You do have to request it in advance, from the Hawaii Parks department (or similar).

Myself, I would never consider kayaking K Bay on a cruise stop. The snorkeling is so excellent, and time is eaten up you don't have making a cruise schedule.

In my opinion 2 step is almost as good snorkeling, which is considered excellent in my multiple Hawaii snorkel areas. Drive there, jump in, you're there. Snorkel for a few hours, get out, stop at some coffee shops etc on the way back. No worry about time consuming kayaking and difficult landing, if a tour is there. It's all sharp loose, multi level lava. No nice beach access. You have ONE area to land the kayak, only. Snorkeling is all along the bay, but is a ways from the more popular beach area. You either swim back there or walk the trail. As I mention, key is to keep the kayak in the water for as long as you can. Avoid carrying it any more than necessary. They aren't that light- especially when you are trying to balance yourself on all uneven lava. I land from the right side, which stays deep enough to float the kayak until under the trees and then just a few steps up to land. However, this is a popular place for people to be and block your way. I've had no problem with asking people to let me get out, but, I hardly ever see anyone land there. I went out 3 times last trip. I did request and get 4 permits however. But, I also jumped in even more times over the week at 2 Step. :)

Archived