Hotel in New Orleans after cruise

Lmack

We'll be staying in New Orleans after a TA cruise in Nov. Does anyone have any experience with La Quinta Inn & Suites in the French Quarter or Quality Inn & Suites? We would appreciate any suggestions for a hotel with reasonable rates for post cruise. We'll be flying back to NC so we don't need a hotel that offers parking.

Also for those who have sailed in New Orleans, any suggestions for transportation from the cruise port to the hotel, and afterwards from the hotel to the airport? Thanks for any help you can give us with all of the above and any specifics regarding "Must See" while we're there.

The LaQuinta inn & Suites French Quarter is not in the French Quarter, it's about 3 blocks from it, across Canal Street. I think it's a great location and have stayed there myself. The rooms are standard hotel rooms. If you get a good deal on the room (I got a deal on my room for $49/night), it's an excellent location. But all things being equal, I would look at the International House across Gravier Street from the LaQuinta -- it's a smaller, boutique hotel and my favourite in the city.

The LaQuinta inn & Suites French Quarter is not in the French Quarter, it's about 3 blocks from it, across Canal Street. I think it's a great location and have stayed there myself. The rooms are standard hotel rooms. If you get a good deal on the room (I got a deal on my room for $49/night), it's an excellent location. But all things being equal, I would look at the International House across Gravier Street from the LaQuinta -- it's a smaller, boutique hotel and my favourite in the city.

Thanks for the information. On the LaQuinta Inn & Suites site including Trip Advisor, it states it's in French Quarter. This is why we love Cruise Critic! How did you get it for $49/night?

Thanks for the information. On the LaQuinta Inn & Suites site including Trip Advisor, it states it's in French Quarter. This is why we love Cruise Critic! How did you get it for $49/night?

It was a deal offered by American Express in conjunction with LaQuinta Hotels. I saw it as a banner ad when I was checking my statement online.

It really is a great location. I prefer not to be right in the Quarter, but close enough to walk down. It's a a block from a Streetcar stop on St. Charles Avenue so there is quick access to everything Uptown. Quick note though, if you stay there and get a taxi back from somewhere, tell the driver you want to go to the LaQuinta on "Camp & Gravier." Some of them don't know the names the hotels give the properties, but they all know the location, and if you really want to sound like a local, tell them it's on the "Uptown Lake corner of Camp & Gravier." (Locals think of directions in New Orleans based on Uptown/Downtown or River/Lake rather than more traditional North/South East/West.)

I have to second the previous poster's suggestion of International House (IH) as a place to stay. DH and I stayed there last year for my high school reunion. Great boutique style hotel with a wonderful bar that makes unusual drinks with fresh (and I mean picked from a garden that morning fresh) ingredients. It's where DH and I were introduced to Moscow Mules - and IH makes their own ginger beer for them! So yummy!

It is also a short walk into the Quarter. You are about 1 loooong block (maybe closer to 2) from Canal street - walk across Canal and you are in the Quarter. You are also walking distance from the Aquarium - which is actually just down the dock from where the cruise ships moor.

With all your luggage, I would definitely take a cab to the hotel and then from the hotel to the airport in the morning. I would think that the hotel could arrange for the cab the day you leave. Cab's will be more expensive (don't remember how much) than taking an Airport Van service, but you also don't have to travel to other hotels picking up/waiting for other passengers.

DH and I may have also stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites you are referring to - although it was under a different name when we were there (it actually changed names during our stay). It was also very nice - small rooms though in one of the buildings. It was a block or so further off of Canal than International House, but a block closer to Poydras. You can walk down Poydras to get to Mother's restaurant which gets mixed reviews, but I enjoyed the breakfast we had. Poydras also is more of a direct shot to the Aquarium and Convention Center.

Enjoy your stay in NOLA!

• 2 weeks later...

Coming off a cruise, food may not be your top priority but N/O has some teriffic restaurants. Try Deannie's on Iberville one block or so West of Bourbon. Also try Tujaques (sic) near Cafe' De Monde` or the Bon Ton near the end of Canal. Also hear some great authentic Jazz at Preservation Hall.

I am looking for a hotel in New Orleans that has a "Snooze & Cruise" package, some call it "Park & Cruise". We found this option in Mobile AL, it was awesome. I have called many different hotels and looked online, with no luck. Any information would be great.

Archived