Blue Lagoon - Nassau

Sparky1961

Ferrys leave at 11am, 1pm, 2pm, and 4pm to go back to Nassau. The ferry will stop where you got on OR you can stay on it and they will take you back to the ship dock (so you don't have to take a cab for the ride back).

I wouldn't hesitate to book this excursion again.

We are booked directly with the cruise line -- but we're thinking of going direct -- are you sure about the possibility of taking the ferry back to the cruise port ?

When talking to the lady about direct they said load and debarked at Paradise Pier.

Not worried about getting TO blue lagoon, but very concerned about not getting back to the ship :) even taking the 2 pm return ferry and our ship leaving at 4:30 -- that just stresses me out!

DW and I did this tour back in April and are bringing the kids this time. It is beautiful and we loved it there -- direct or not -- $50 per person or 90 per person it is worth it!

I remember reading that now. Hopefully the excursion will be before 11 am. They haven't released excursions for October yet. Thanks!!

The "ferry" that picks up your RCL group will not be the same ferry that goes out at 8:30.. The ferry from RCL will pick you up downtown near the port... with your group. You will be given bracelets as you board.

We did the dolphin encounter this past winter. It was amazing and I would love to go back! We had our 4 year old with and he loved it too. The area is just beautiful, the people are wonderful and the dolphins are amazing!

My wife and I are cruising in Oct to Bahamas. We are thinking about doing the dolphin encounter at Blue Lagoon, but have been trying to find out some info. The cruise line states that there is a half mile to mile walk from the dock to the dolphine encounter area. I called Blue lagoon directly and they said it is about a 5 minute walk. I'm trying to find out as my wife was just diagnosed with MS and has difficulty walking distances.

Does anyone who has been there know what the walk from the dock is like? Is it level, paved, a mile, half a mile?

Thanks for any info.

Bruce

This picture shows the walk from the dock to the dolphin encounter. The boat docks right were the 2 docks meet in the back of the picture. Once you get off you would head down one dock to go to the beach and head down the dock that comes to the front of the picture for the encounter. Hope that helps a bit. The actuall encounter is under the blue tent.

SunCruise2012042.jpg

Edited by sns1009

We are booked directly with the cruise line -- but we're thinking of going direct -- are you sure about the possibility of taking the ferry back to the cruise port ?

When talking to the lady about direct they said load and debarked at Paradise Pier.

Not worried about getting TO blue lagoon, but very concerned about not getting back to the ship :) even taking the 2 pm return ferry and our ship leaving at 4:30 -- that just stresses me out!

We wanted to take the 1pm ferry back, thinking we still had a cab to catch and a bit of a ride back to the ship. My daughter was getting her hair braided and it took longer than planned, so we ended up on the 2pm ferry. I was nervous because our ship was leaving at 4:30 as well.

When we got on the ferry, they said there were two stops - Paradise Pier for those staying in hotels or who wanted to explore, and the docks for those getting back on ships. We simply stayed on the ferry to go back to the ship.

Some of the people were saying they didn't take a cab to the ferry - that the ferry picked them up near the ship dock. Those were probably the folks who booked through the cruise line.

Either way, the ferry does go to the ships.

We did the dolphin encounter this past winter. It was amazing and I would love to go back! We had our 4 year old with and he loved it too. The area is just beautiful, the people are wonderful and the dolphins are amazing!

We are going Dec 2012 and I see you went last winter.. Few questions.. With sunset so early during December what did you do after the dolphin encounter??.. our ship leaves at 8pm..It shows we will be there from 12pm-8pm (I am hoping we arrive earlier than 12. One previous cruiser said their ship arrived 2 hours early) and we have to take the boat back by 4pm from Blue Lagoon. Is there things to do around the dock still once back?

How was the weather during December? we have researched it says mid 70's and low chance of rain?? We have never been to the Bahamas and are use to 100 degree summers :)

Thanks

We are going Dec 2012 and I see you went last winter.. Few questions.. With sunset so early during December what did you do after the dolphin encounter??.. our ship leaves at 8pm..It shows we will be there from 12pm-8pm (I am hoping we arrive earlier than 12. One previous cruiser said their ship arrived 2 hours early) and we have to take the boat back by 4pm from Blue Lagoon. Is there things to do around the dock still once back?

How was the weather during December? we have researched it says mid 70's and low chance of rain?? We have never been to the Bahamas and are use to 100 degree summers :)

Thanks

Our ship was docked from 7am to 3pm so I'm not much help. There is a big market right by where the ships dock that looked really neat but we didn't have time for anything but the encounter.

The weather for us was perfect. It was mid 70's but very humid so I thought it felt a lot warmer. The water at the dolphin encounter was a bit chilly at first but once you get use to it - it's perfect!

Have a wonderful time!

we're thinking about doing this... but with the Sea Lion Encounter, not the dolphins. Unfortunately, for our sailling, Carnival doesn't offer either excursion, just the beach day. AND the cruise line excursions are so expensive,that for a measily $5/pp more, we can book directly through the Blue Lagoon company and get not only the beach day, but the sea lion encounter as well!

My question to those that have gone, we will only have about 3 hours max on the island. Do you think that's enough time to do a sea lion encounter and frolick on the beach? Would it be worth it for that short amount of time?

Ship arrives 8am. Earliest ferry to Blue Lagoon would be 10:30 (wouldn't be able to make 8:30), be on island by 11am. Ferry to catch back to Nassau would be 2pm as ship sails at 5pm (so 4pm ferry would be too late). That leaves 3 hours on the island, with a bit of that sitting at the dock waiting to get on the 2pm ferry as we can't miss it!

I really really want to go interact with the Sea Lions, i just don't know if 2.5 - 3 hours on the island would be worth paying $90/pp.

We did the Blue Lagoon Beach The 1st weekend in Aug. we have been to Nassau many times, but never to Blue Lagoon. It was a very nice day!!! Clean, beautiful beach..very nice ferryride over.

My only regret is that it was too short. On Monarch, the excursion didnt start until 1:00 so we did not arrive on the island until 2. They came around and said that the last ferry back was at 4:00. We packed up, showered and then heard the announcement that Monarch passengers could stay until 5:30...too late, we were headed to the ferry. we actually only spent 2 hrs with a lunch voucher that we didnt need.

I am glad we went, but the $68 pp was expensive for 2 hrs on the beach.

We did the Blue Lagoon Beach The 1st weekend in Aug. we have been to Nassau many times, but never to Blue Lagoon. It was a very nice day!!! Clean, beautiful beach..very nice ferryride over.

My only regret is that it was too short. On Monarch, the excursion didnt start until 1:00 so we did not arrive on the island until 2. They came around and said that the last ferry back was at 4:00. We packed up, showered and then heard the announcement that Monarch passengers could stay until 5:30...too late, we were headed to the ferry. we actually only spent 2 hrs with a lunch voucher that we didnt need.

I am glad we went, but the $68 pp was expensive for 2 hrs on the beach.

we are thinking of doing this excursion also but not sure if we want to go with ship or book direct. I am assuming you booked through ship - Does Monarch have a separate boat that take you to island or does everyone take the same ferry? Did you trip also include access to see the sea lions?

Thanks for the info

I just did the dolphin swim at the Blue Lagoon on July 31, 2012 while on the DCL Magic. DCL had a morning time and an afternoon time. We chose the afternoon time 12:45 tour. There was no time afterwards to enjoy the beach, but it certainly looked nice. The dolphin swim was much different than my dolphin encounter that I had done two years ago at the Atlantis. At the Atlantis, I had to wear a wet suit and was kneeling the whole time of the encounter. With the dolphin swim at the Blue Lagoon, we wore life vests that kept us afloat in water that was deeper than our heads (not sure the exact height of the water). On the ship we were told no cameras allowed, but we took our water cameras with us anyway and were glad we did because water cameras are allowed. We could not wear watersocks, though. There are no words to describe the "dolphin push" through the water, but it was incredible. I am glad I did it and would recommend it to others.

Is Nassau and ship time the same? We're going on Carnival and it says we dock at 8am. The first ferry to Blue Lagoon is 8:30am local time according to their website. Does that mean we have 1/2 to get to the ferry or 1.5 hours (if nassau time is off ship time by an hour)? Or is it the other way and 8am ship time is really 9am local nassau time?

Is Nassau and ship time the same? We're going on Carnival and it says we dock at 8am. The first ferry to Blue Lagoon is 8:30am local time according to their website. Does that mean we have 1/2 to get to the ferry or 1.5 hours (if nassau time is off ship time by an hour)? Or is it the other way and 8am ship time is really 9am local nassau time?

Ship and and nassau time will be the same. You won't make the first ferry regardless. The 10:30am ferry would be the one you should shoot for.

Just and FYI- I tried to book directly through Dolphin Encounters and was told ship has all the spaces allotted to them for the time that we are in port. So, guess no choice. Stuck paying the extra money.

I was told the same thing. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue, and is there a work-around??? I don't want to book with the ship for multiple reasons, cost being one of them, time another. Anyone have any advise when they won't book it directly? Can I get around this by saying that I am not going via cruise line??

Also, I have another question. I have seen posts that say that they have just booked the dolphin encounter, and then been allowed to stay on the beach. My boys are going to do the dolphins, my husband and I are just paying for the beach. Does anyone know if we need to purchase the encounter AND beach day, or just the encounter for the boys? Thanks for any help!

Edited by DallasxGirl

I was told the same thing. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue, and is there a work-around??? I don't want to book with the ship for multiple reasons, cost being one of them, time another. Anyone have any advise when they won't book it directly? Can I get around this by saying that I am not going via cruise line??

Also, I have another question. I have seen posts that say that they have just booked the dolphin encounter, and then been allowed to stay on the beach. My boys are going to do the dolphins, my husband and I are just paying for the beach. Does anyone know if we need to purchase the encounter AND beach day, or just the encounter for the boys? Thanks for any help!

First off.. some cruise ships have a contract with Blue Lagoon preventing cruisers from booking directly. Can't say how it works out if you try working around it.

As for you other question. Anyone booking an animal program, whether dolphin or sea lions, gets free use of the beach. This does NOT include use of any of the tubes, mats, inflatables, food etc. The beach day upgrade includes all of this. You can purchase this on the island.

If you are paying for the beach day only (around $54) this includes the water toys (mats, tubes, noodles, not inflatables) and lunch.

You cannot pass around the water toys, so you would have to purchase the beach package if your kids want to use them.

we are thinking of doing this excursion also but not sure if we want to go with ship or book direct. I am assuming you booked through ship - Does Monarch have a separate boat that take you to island or does everyone take the same ferry? Did you trip also include access to see the sea lions?

Thanks for the info

Just saw your post...I think most of the questions have already been answered.

We booked thru the ship. The ferry was marked "dolphin encounters", so I guess it was owned by the island.. we stopped at Paradise island to pick up hotel guests as well. We did not purchase the dolphin or sea lion encounter..we just did the beach day. As I said before, it is a beautiful island..just disappointed in the amt of time we got to stay.

• 1 month later...
First off.. some cruise ships have a contract with Blue Lagoon preventing cruisers from booking directly. Can't say how it works out if you try working around it.

As for you other question. Anyone booking an animal program, whether dolphin or sea lions, gets free use of the beach. This does NOT include use of any of the tubes, mats, inflatables, food etc. The beach day upgrade includes all of this. You can purchase this on the island.

You cannot pass around the water toys, so you would have to purchase the beach package if your kids want to use them.

Sorry if this was already answered but just want to make sure I understand the sea lion encounter is $129.00 through ship. If we book that, we are able to go on beach? Can you snorkel there?

• 5 months later...

I am booked for the 8:30am ferry departure Ina about 10 days. Our ship docks at 7am. Is that enough time to get to the ferry terminal on time? I think I read that others had no problem, but I'd live for someone to confirm that. 8:30 was the only time available on our port day. Thanks

I am booked for the 8:30am ferry departure Ina about 10 days. Our ship docks at 7am. Is that enough time to get to the ferry terminal on time? I think I read that others had no problem, but I'd live for someone to confirm that. 8:30 was the only time available on our port day. Thanks

If there are no delays in getting off the ship you should be able to make it.

You need to be at the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal 30 minutes before departure..

So you'll need to get a cab as soon as you get off the ship.

Barring any problems.. you should make it.