Blue Lagoon - Nassau

Sparky1961

Has anyone ever been to "Blue Lagoon Island" in Nassau. We are thinking about doing an excursion there and possibly doing the Dolphin encounter. Any info, tips, experiences or feedback will be greatly appreciated. It will be our first cruise and we a pretty confused about what to do. Thanks.

I "think" the real question is--is this a enjoyable excursion by public consensus. RCL also offers another dolphin encounter but the blue lagoon looks better.

Blue lagoon IS better.. it's not only in a natural setting, but the program itself is better. Atlantis is more of a photo op... in a man made enclosure.

My wife and I did the dolphin swim at Blue Lagoon in 2010, though not on a cruise ship. Just a trip to the Bahamas.

It was one of the coolest experiences we have ever had. Like Scuba Girl said, this is on a private island in a natural setting, not just some pre-fab pool like at Atlantis. And, it's about 1/3rd of the cost.

This was by far the best day of our week in Nassau and would do it again or recommend anyone to do it in a heartbeat. It is well worth it no question about it. It is something we will never forget. We watch the DVD of our swim and dolphin push all the time. It was such a wonderful experience.

The Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter is great. My husband and I did it 3 years ago with my parents.

It's about a 30-minute ferry ride to Blue Lagoon. If you're booking this on your own (not through the ship), you'll need to get your own transportation to the ferry termina on Paradise Island.

The island itself is pretty. If you have time after your encounter, you can walk around and see the other dolphins and the sea lions. There are showers and changing facilities and they give you a locker for your stuff while you're in the water.

The link Scubagirrl posted has most of the information and even biographies for each of their dolphins.

is there somthing to do without doing dolphin encounter??

I went here with a ships tour over 10 years ago. We didnt' do the dolphin encounter we just hung around on the beach and explored the island. I'm sure there is tons more to do now. We are going on a cruise in Aug and thinking about going here again.

My wife and I are cruising in Oct to Bahamas. We are thinking about doing the dolphin encounter at Blue Lagoon, but have been trying to find out some info. The cruise line states that there is a half mile to mile walk from the dock to the dolphine encounter area. I called Blue lagoon directly and they said it is about a 5 minute walk. I'm trying to find out as my wife was just diagnosed with MS and has difficulty walking distances.

Does anyone who has been there know what the walk from the dock is like? Is it level, paved, a mile, half a mile?

Thanks for any info.

Bruce

My family and friends did this excursion a couple of years ago with ages from 13-45. It was a group of about 16. All had a wondeful time the island was beautiful and snorkeling was outstanding. As we had our own snorkeling equipment I don't know/remember about having to rent or use other equipment. DID not do dolphin encounter but as I recall it was only a short walk from where the boat docked. Would def recommend if you are looking for a relaxing beach day.

I just got back from my cruise last night, and did this excursion on Friday. The walk from the ship to the area where you catch the cab is nowhere near a half mile. It's about five to ten minutes, at most. It's just down the dock and into a building.

Blue Lagoon Island is perfect. I did not book through the cruise line, but through the company directly. It was much cheaper that way. We walked up the dock and caught a cab for $4 each to the ferry. At the ferry building, you check in and jump on the boat. It's a 20-30 minute ride (gorgeous ride!) to the island. Once your program is done, you are free to explore, get a drink at the little bar/hut, lay on the beach, etc. There are a TON of giant blow up bouncy toys in the water for the kids to play on for $15.

Ferrys leave at 11am, 1pm, 2pm, and 4pm to go back to Nassau. The ferry will stop where you got on OR you can stay on it and they will take you back to the ship dock (so you don't have to take a cab for the ride back).

I wouldn't hesitate to book this excursion again.

Here are the toys on the beach:

i2u8om.jpg

Kiddo hugging the dolphin:

2zxv6o4.jpg

This is the building you walk to, viewed from just off the ship. It's a straight walk down the dock, and looks much further than it really is.

300v9ys.jpg

This sounds ideal. I'll have to wait until RCI opens up our excursions but I think this would be a good fit for my 6 year old and I especially with the water toy rentals.

Fingers crossed that we get swimable weather this Thanksgiving!

Okay, so I am not a water person--love to cruise, but do not like being IN the water. How deep is the water at the dolphin encounter? Is it more like the stingray excursions that are only about 4ft deep or much more? :o I loved interacting with the dolphins at Sea World and would love to do something like that again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope to get an answer without a new thread. If I book through RCL, can I go ahead and take the 8:30 a.m. ferry and do my excursion earlier than when the RCL group gets there? I researched a couple threads and I believe it said the bracelets are at the place where you catch the ferry--not handed out beforehand before you leave the ship. I don't have a problem paying the RCL price. I would just like to go on and catch the 8:30 ferry and do the excursion early and have time to walk around on my own and catch the 2 pm ferry back.

Hope to get an answer without a new thread. If I book through RCL, can I go ahead and take the 8:30 a.m. ferry and do my excursion earlier than when the RCL group gets there? I researched a couple threads and I believe it said the bracelets are at the place where you catch the ferry--not handed out beforehand before you leave the ship. I don't have a problem paying the RCL price. I would just like to go on and catch the 8:30 ferry and do the excursion early and have time to walk around on my own and catch the 2 pm ferry back.

You would have to BOOK the timeslot with Dolphin Encounter to do an earlier encounter. I doubt they would accomodate the change, since you are actually paying thru RCL.

You might be able to take the 8:30 if RCL gives you your bracelet in advance.. but I wouldn't count on that happening.

The "ferry" that picks up your RCL group will not be the same ferry that goes out at 8:30..

The ferry from RCL will pick you up downtown near the port... with your group. You will be given bracelets as you board.

The 8:30 Dolphin Encounter ferry will leave from Paradise Island Ferry Terminal on Paradise Island and you will need to have your RCL bracelet in order to board. This terminal is a quick taxi ride away..