Using Verizon cell phones on ship?

yep. I used my ipad with AT&T 3G for 15-20 minutes after we left Miami

Hmm. We sat in a lounge aboard ship, next to the window, as we left port in Miami, and made a phone call. Paid Verizon $2.49 a minute for the call. Luckily it was a short call.

So I think the ship turns on their tower as soon as they depart.

So, at the very least, you can freely use your cell phone when onboard the ship, before it pulls out of a US port? I know that the carrier sign will change on your phone when it's using the ship's cell tower, but that would be a little late if you are texting and wanted to stop before you would be charged (have 2 teens who will want to be in touch with friends until the last possible minute...then the phones will be put in the safe until our return!).

Texting (not for teen use) can be done with just the voice feature of your phone still activated. Just make sure "data" or "data while roaming" is off however. With Verizon, text message, SMS only, are .50c for each sent and .05c for each received. We text with family at home occasionally while at sea. The texts are sometimes slow though, occasionally taking an hour or more to make the cyber space trip.

Archived