best white train pass tour in skagway

kr9457

I go on vacation typically to view scenic places. My priority is always nature rather than museums, cities, etc. With my love of the outdoors, the train trip in Skagway was phenomonal. We went all the way to Carcross, which we were so happy we did. The scenery after Fraser is amazing. Mile after mile of wilderness........oh, how I long to be bag!!!

Now if you are someone who doesn't get excited about beautiful scenery, you may feel much differently about this trip. Do your research and then do whatever seems to be calling you.

There is no correct answer to your question, it really depends upon your interests. While I have been to Skagway some 17 times, I still enjoy wandering around Skagway trying to soak up what history is left there so just do the summit excursion.

I just got back and did a tour through Chilkoot Charters. I took the train from Skagway to Carcross with lunch in Bennett. Our train conductor was quite a history buff and gave us a guided tour of the Bennett townsite. The lunch was great - beef stew, sourdough bread, coleslaw, and apple pie - the stew and bread were all you could eat. There was pleanty of time to eat and walk around what is left of the townsite. The scenery between the summit and Fraser is wonderful and from there to Carcross is even better. Here is a picture of Lake Bennett. BTW if you take the road from Fraser to Carcross you will see the same things both coming and going and will not be able to see Bennett or the lake.

105.jpg.03ea5097a58ab97629aa3c31246e7173.jpg

I just got back and did a tour through Chilkoot Charters. I took the train from Skagway to Carcross with lunch in Bennett. Our train conductor was quite a history buff and gave us a guided tour of the Bennett townsite. The lunch was great - beef stew, sourdough bread, coleslaw, and apple pie - the stew and bread were all you could eat. There was pleanty of time to eat and walk around what is left of the townsite. The scenery between the summit and Fraser is wonderful and from there to Carcross is even better. Here is a picture of Lake Bennett. BTW if you take the road from Fraser to Carcross you will see the same things both coming and going and will not be able to see Bennett or the lake.

I agree, but we felt we could have used more time in the Lake Bennett area. If memory serves me right, 2007 was the inaugural year for this trip. They did offer more time that year at Bennett Late, but they got complaints it was too long. When we went the following year they had shortened the time at the Bennett Lake stop. We wished we could have had more time. We just loved strolling through the area.

I think that we had around 1 1/2 hrs to eat and walk around - our guide had no problems giving us a detailed tour of the townsite. He actually started during the meal. I am not sure all train guides do this however.

We went at the end of May and really enjoyed our tour with Dyea Dave. We took his Emerald Lake tour (you need a full day for this, he does have shorter tours but highly recommend the long one if you have time) so we went through town and on up into the Yukon on his small shuttle bus all the way to beautiful Emerald Lake. We stopped at many picturesque places and points of interest and had a nice lunch along the way after a short shopping stop in Carcross. We stopped to catch some pictures of a bear, too. Dave then took us to catch the White Pass Yukon Railroad in Fraser for the ride back down (optional-you can choose to ride with Dave the rest of the way down). He took good care of us, picking us up at the docks, and then at the train stop back in Skagway to finish our tour to a historical cemetery (or drops you off at your dock or in town to shop if you wish). Dave is a hoot and very accommodating, the Yukon territory is breathtaking and the train is a marvel with more beautiful scenery all the way down the mountains. We loved the tour and highly recommend it if that's what you are interested in. The train does book up (we booked very early) so check it out online and reserve if that's what you decide to do. I have read other reviews of people that rented a car to take up into the Yukon (easy drive) and enjoyed that, too. Happy planning!

Archived