Gratuities refunded?

livingitup

Ok, ok, c'mon man, it's Carnival. People are actually expected to tip on this cruise line??

I spend a fortune for my inside cabin and I'm still expected to drop a dollar or three to someone working on the ship?? C'mon, you can't be serious...

I hope that last sentence was not directed at me... If you read my post, you would also read that I tip, and they work very hard, and deserve their tips. I was simply thinking aloud about how they always say they only make 3.70 pp per day.. it just sounds like so little. When it really isnt.

There are many threads that bring out the worst in people, almost every thread there is someone who is mean and nasty...

Like a wise woman says... read and understand the post before you jump all over someone...:)

No, wasnt directed at you at all. More tipping threads in general. I am guilty too. You could say you hate something I love (such as Disney Cruise Line), I wouldnt care, but people on the opposite sides of the tipping issue get me all riled up, as it does most people on here. So it goes.

Where is a good Chog thread when you need it....

Ok, ok, c'mon man, it's Carnival. People are actually expected to tip on this cruise line??

I spend a fortune for my inside cabin and I'm still expected to drop a dollar or three to someone working on the ship?? C'mon, you can't be serious...

yes, and you are expected to tip for all 8 people you have squeezed into that cabin dangit!

:p:p:p:p

Why are the buffet staff not tipped in the first place? They have to deal with whining people all the time.

My friend was a waitress in college and still does it at times....I have a speech concerning tipping...but we will stick with the best thought...don't be cheap.

Alot of the same people that work at the buffet at breakfast and lunch work at the MDR at night. So they do get the tips that you give for your server.

It is very wrong not to tip. This is the only pay they get and they work very hard for it. No one in America would work as hard as they do for the money they get paid. If you get really really bad service perhaps reduce it a small amount but rather than do that I would report it to someone so that the situation can be remedied.

It's just amazing the reasons people find why they do not feel they need to tip. Yet, they think nothing of spending $400-$700 on drinks during the sailing!

Every staff member on board is providing a service to the passengers. Your ship is clean and maintained along with your cabin. You get soap, clean towels/sheets and ice.

If no one removed the dirty dishes from the buffet tables, you would have no clean plates, cups, silverware. No place to eat.

The cooks cook, the bakers bake.....Yet because you do not see them or partake of food in the MDR, you feel you do not need to tip.

If the buffet staff didn't keep the food supplied as you stepped up to make your selection, you would not have any food to eat. What about the omlete makers?

The pizza area needs to make the pizza and salads you eat round the clock. The soft serve ice doesn't make itself or replenish itself.

Room service needs to make, provide and deliver the food you order.

Your bar waiters serve you all over the ship.

If you were serving the passengers, bet you want them to recognize your contribution and you would like to be tipped for the excellent service you provide during the voyage. Don't forget, some passengers are downright nasty to the staff and the staff still has to smile and provide service to them.

MARAPRINCE

We have been on 10 cruises and I would NEVER not tip whether I ate in the dining room or not. When the staff is not in the dining room, they are either working in the buffet, a bar or somewhere else on the ship. Many times I tip additional due to the excellent service they provide. I have never had bad service on any cruise and if someone does not want to tip, maybe they should choose another type of vacation.:rolleyes:

I have always tipped. Even on the cruise where:

A long black hair was in the amenity bowl in the bathroom

A contact lens was in one of the smaller drinking glasses on desk/dresser

The top of the desk/drawer was all sticky where something was spilled on it.

Someones sock, not ours, was under the bed, on debarkation day.

An empty condom wrapper was in the drawer beside the bed.... yuck...

Which goes to show our cabin was not cleaned very well... I did call the guest service desk, and our steward did come and clean our cabin...

This has only happened once on all of the cruises I have been on... who knows... maybe the steward thought he did our room.... it was taken care of and that was all that mattered.

Therefore, he earned his tip.

For those of you concerned with trying to figure out the total compensation for the Carnival employees, please consider the following in your calculations:

1. They do not work 52 weeks a year every year and there is no paid vacation. Contracts typically run 9 months with a minimum of one month off between contracts. Most workers take more. I've heard of contracts as long as 12 months and as short as 6 months.
  2. Though the workers have medical coverage while they are working, it is only on themselves and not on their family. Most of the Carnival employees I have dealt with have a family.
  3. It is not tax free, any more than If a U.S. citizen goes out of the country and works. They pay their countries taxes and Carnival reports their income to their governments.

Enjoy,

Ron

For those of you concerned with trying to figure out the total compensation for the Carnival employees, please consider the following in your calculations:

1. They do not work 52 weeks a year every year and there is no paid vacation. Contracts typically run 9 months with a minimum of one month off between contracts. Most workers take more. I've heard of contracts as long as 12 months and as short as 6 months.
  2. Though the workers have medical coverage while they are working, it is only on themselves and not on their family. Most of the Carnival employees I have dealt with have a family.
  3. It is not tax free, any more than If a U.S. citizen goes out of the country and works. They pay their countries taxes and Carnival reports their income to their governments.

Enjoy,

Ron

i wonder if this much effort is put into tipping decisions when one eats at the outback.

Our you planning to bring sandwiches and eat all of your meals in your room?

Are you planning to bring large garbage bags and carry your sandwich remains and all the rest of your garbage off the ship at the end of the cruise?

Are you planning to clean your own bathroom and bring your own towels so that the ship does not have to wash them?

Are you planning to vacuum your own room?

Are you planning to bring your own sheets, pillows, pillow cases?

Do you plan to bring paper cups so that your dirty cups do not have to be washed?

Unless you can answer yes to all of these question, just pay the tip and stop trying to be a cheap piker who is trying to sc**** the crew. Better yet, do not cruise.

DON

Totally agree. If your that worried about it then stay home.

sure you can.

and if that is your plan up front, inform the md so that your table and assigned wait staff can be reassigned.

then have guest services remove $5.80 pp per day from your autotip for mdr servies. if they inform you they can't do this portion that way, remove it all, and just make sure your steward gets his $3.70 per person per day, and tip anyone else you feel services you.

The most important thing is if you aren't going to use MDR, as said here, inform the Maitre'd so that table doesn't sit empty every night and the staff still can make tips off that table. I would actually pass this piece of advice onto your friend.

Pat

If a person chooses to remove automatic tips that's a personal choice and any critisism by others in not deserved. I don't like nor have I ever liked automatic tips, especially those that come before the service. I tip my stewart each day, always tip the servers to include the buffets, and finally whenever I purchase a drink even thought the tip is already factored.

The writer asked a question and deserves an answer...not a verbal spanking.

It's simply rude and boorish to remove the tips period. If you can't afford them do not cruise.In many better hotels there is a service charge that is mandatory whether you use their pool, etc. In my opinion the tips should be mandatory as a service charge or simply placed in the cost of the cruise.

It's simply rude and boorish to remove the tips period. If you can't afford them do not cruise.In many better hotels there is a service charge that is mandatory whether you use their pool, etc. In my opinion the tips should be mandatory as a service charge or simply placed in the cost of the cruise.

tipping for pools. that's certainly a new one.

good grief.

I wouldn't know. I've never eaten at Outback.

Enjoy,

Ron

NEVER??? You really have never had a bloomin onion? Outback FTW!!!

PS I always pay my grats and then tip above and beyond. Sometimes I order drinks from 2 different waiters and tip more to the one who gets it to me first, yeah we have waiter races (sometimes there's no trivia or bingo). By the end of the cruise room service is fighting to bring me my food. I love the Carnival staff!:D

Gratuities keep the prices of the cruise down, just like tips keep the cost of restaurant meals down on land. If servers, on land or sea, or anyone in the hospitality industry were given a living wage for their services, that $6 burger would cost you 12 bucks and that $11.00 plate of pasta would cost you $20.

Almost every form of labour aboard a cruise ship is service oriented, whether it's baking, washing decks, laundry or food. Someone is cleaning the windows and vacuuming the miles of carpet because oh boy, if they didn't there would be hell to pay.

I'm always amazed reading reviews on-line about someone freaking out because they found a popcorn kernel on the floor in their hotel or dust above the door to the bathroom. Do they bring a folding ladder with them on vacation?

So even if you don't eat in the MDR or you eat on the Lido there are hundreds of unseen faces toiling to make your cruise pleasurable, just pay the gratuity, already!

Gratuities keep the prices of the cruise down, just like tips keep the cost of restaurant meals down on land. If servers, on land or sea, or anyone in the hospitality industry were given a living wage for their services, that $6 burger would cost you 12 bucks and that $11.00 plate of pasta would cost you $20.

Almost every form of labour aboard a cruise ship is service oriented, whether it's baking, washing decks, laundry or food. Someone is cleaning the windows and vacuuming the miles of carpet because oh boy, if they didn't there would be hell to pay.

I'm always amazed reading reviews on-line about someone freaking out because they found a popcorn kernel on the floor in their hotel or dust above the door to the bathroom. Do they bring a folding ladder with them on vacation?

So even if you don't eat in the MDR or you eat on the Lido there are hundreds of unseen faces toiling to make your cruise pleasurable, just pay the gratuity, already!

those activities you list above are included in your fare, and are by no means included in anything resembling the service industry.

Archived