Upcoming AK trip on the Jewel - Any questions?

sdmike

Hi guys -

In a few weeks I'll be on the Jewel heading to Alaska. We are staying in mini-suites and insides on deck 11, starboard side. We are a group of 14 in 6 rooms. We chartered a fishing boat in Ketchikan, and in Juneau we are doing a two-fer... renting a van to see the town from 7 to 1:00, then the Tracy Arm glacier excursion. No plans yet for Skagway or Victoria.

As you suspect (fear?) I will take a ton of pictures and will write a review. However, if there are specific questions you have about the Jewel or this trip, or want pictures of specific things, please ask away. I'll do my best to fill the request.

Happy Sailing!

Mike you are soooooo lucky. I just know your trip on the Jewel will be as great as the one we had two weeks ago. Have a great time making memories with your family. If you have time you might really like the tour in Skagway with gold panning and dog sledding demo. Matt the owner is fascinating and knows so has done the Itarod race six times. My parents loved the morning as much as my kids did.

Bon Voyage.

Mike, I'd ask for a photo or two of my sister in Victoria but she may not be too thrilled with someone tracking her down and then posting her mug on a cruise forum ...:)

Have a great cruise!!!! I can't wait for the review and all of the (other) photos.

If you're looking for something to do in Skagway, we rented a vehicle from Enterprise and drove up through the Yukon Territory. The scenery was amazing, and we stopped in a little town (Caribou Crossing) for some exploring and lunch. It was a backup plan after the ship excursion of our choice sold out, but it ended up being the highlight of the trip.

Glad to hear you decided to stick with the Tracy Arm excursion, you are going to love it. On our cruise two weeks ago we got to go to Tracy Arm instead of Endicott (which we did last time) and I have to say after having been to both now that whichever one you go to, they are both great and you will enjoy the excursion.

Mike

I have been looking forward to your reivew once I first learned you were going to Alaska on the Jewel. I hope to make it to Alaska someday. I can think of no better cruise or vacation then being on the Jewel in Alaska. I am not embarrassed to say that I am jealous. But I look forward to living through your cruise with your review and pictures.

Have fun!

If you're looking for something to do in Skagway, we rented a vehicle from Enterprise and drove up through the Yukon Territory. The scenery was amazing, and we stopped in a little town (Caribou Crossing) for some exploring and lunch. It was a backup plan after the ship excursion of our choice sold out, but it ended up being the highlight of the trip.

Interesting! I'll have to explore this option a bit. Thanks!

Mike, we are on the Jewel in 8 weeks and will have 3 side by side minis on the Starboard side, aft. (Not aft minis - just aft section.)

Have fun!

One of these trips I'll have to coordinate with others on here!

You will definatly enjoy the small boat tour of Tracy Arm - even though the Jewel got almost as close last week :cool: the small boat got about 1/4 mi away and directly opposite the face of the South Sawyer Glacier. Hopefully you will have enough time to see North Sawyer - it has receeded so much that it can no longer be seen from the main channel.

We were on the Pearl so our tour was RT Juneau - however we did run accross (and pass) the Jewel as well as the Oosterdam who did did not make it all the way in. Here are a few photos to wet your appetite.

021.jpg.894e76f4606125b1a0ee1d4a3e2c39b6.jpg

038.jpg.9b4caf282c9979c04b20943de8614f8d.jpg

198661110_southsawyerglacier(merge).jpg.45436ce13d375e5bef54c0d30daf0176.jpg

Thanks so much for offering to find the answers to questions for us! That's very thoughtful of you! I do have one question that i haven't been able to find the answer to. Can my 3 year old ride on the waterside with me? Yes, he's completely potty trained, no diapers.

If you happen to find the answer to that question I'd be very grateful! :-)

Happy sailing!

Denise

Thanks so much for offering to find the answers to questions for us! That's very thoughtful of you! I do have one question that i haven't been able to find the answer to. Can my 3 year old ride on the waterside with me? Yes, he's completely potty trained, no diapers.

If you happen to find the answer to that question I'd be very grateful! :-)

Happy sailing!

Denise

I think the rules are that you have to go down one at a time. At least it was on the Epic.

Archived