Drop off Rental car in Miami

onebzemom

girlscruise2011

Just did a fake booking using that code and took me to the last step 4/4.

Comes to 54+ on the midsize @42.00.

I wonder if I had the right dates earlier because I can't come up with that cheap rate again. I am 6 people so I need a minivan for precruise 11/16-11/17. After taxes & fees its $87.16 which is a great rate but for the same amount, I can book one with Dollar and get their free shuttle at MIA.

I'll keep trying...

cackles, thanks SO much.

did NOT realize there was free shuttle if you drop off at mia airport. if that was more clear (or perhaps if it was in earlier posts and i would read better!) i would not have spent so much time on this.

so now it's really simple. i'll keep trying with priceline (name your price) because you're 100% correct, closer it gets, the better my chances for that rate.

i'm going to call a couple of those mia airport offices to be certain they can do the shuttle on sunday, but this sounds 100% way to go.

again, thanks a lot. and beerman, you too.

cackles, thanks SO much.

did NOT realize there was free shuttle if you drop off at mia airport. if that was more clear (or perhaps if it was in earlier posts and i would read better!) i would not have spent so much time on this.

so now it's really simple. i'll keep trying with priceline (name your price) because you're 100% correct, closer it gets, the better my chances for that rate.

i'm going to call a couple of those mia airport offices to be certain they can do the shuttle on sunday, but this sounds 100% way to go.

Not all the car rental agencies have free shuttle. Ones that I know of are Alamo,Dollar, Thrifty and National. I think Hertz does but they are so expensive, I never even consider them.

I wonder if I had the right dates earlier because I can't come up with that cheap rate again. I am 6 people so I need a minivan for precruise 11/16-11/17. After taxes & fees its $87.16 which is a great rate but for the same amount, I can book one with Dollar and get their free shuttle at MIA.

I'll keep trying...

I ended up booking a minivan with Dollar. I'll keep looking and hopefully find one a little bit cheaper as we get closer.

Its a little more expensive then the shared van but at least I can go where I want and leave for the port earlier then the shuttle was picking me up. I just have to make sure I give us some extra time to wait and take the shuttle to the port.

girlscruise2011

I usually use Dollar and play the price game with them. Check everyday to see if the rate went down and then MODIFY to the new lower rate.

Have gotten some very good prices in the past.

Good Luck!

I'll keep trying...

girlscruise2011, just checked dates with info you provided and got the mini-van for $87.16.

Rate ( USD )

68.00 car

0.00 options0.00 equipment & services

0.00 protections

19.16 taxes & fees4.93 total taxes

14.23 total fees

$ 87.16 TOTAL

0R rate terms

1 day 0 hour rental 125 free miles then .25 USD / add'l mi

Additional Mileage Charge

Use this calculator for your convenience, to estimate additional mileage fee.

Note: This is just an estimate. Actual charges are determined at the time of rental.

mileage charge: 125 free miles then .25 USD / add'l mi

calculate additional mileage mi = USD

Pick-up:FT. LAUDERDALE/HOLLYWOOD APO - FLL

FT. LAUDERDALE , FL

Fri, 16 Nov 2012 11:00 AM

Return:DOWNTOWN/PORT OF MIAMI - M5E

MIAMI , FL

Sat, 17 Nov 2012 11:00 AM

Car

dodge_grand_caravan_2011_rate.gifDODGE GRAND CARAVAN

or similar

mini passenger van automatic air conditioned

Personal Info

RapidRez Number none

Residency US

Offer codes

BCD Y937800

coupon code none

Also coupon code comes from mousesavers.com check them out.

Discounts, Codes and Coupons

To find the best rates, I recommend trying every code that applies to your travel dates and desired car type when checking rates for Budget online. Just type the code into the appropriate box on the Budget website.

The codes below are good for anyone to use and do not require a paper coupon. However, some of them will work only for certain dates and/or car types, and some have blackout dates over certain holidays -- so if one doesn't work, try another. Rates do not include taxes and fees.

Discounts Open to Anyone

• Get a Fullsize SUV rental for $300/week from Budget. Offer valid for pick up by 7/20/12. Use code U103300. Limited availability at this rate. Weekly rates require a five-consecutive-day minimum rental and a 14-day maximum rental. A 24 hour advance reservation is required. Offers may not be available during holiday and other blackout periods; rate surcharges during peak periods may apply. Rates may not be combined with any other discounted rate or promotional offer. Not available in Hawaii. Offer expires 7/12/12.
  • Get up to 25% off weekly rentals at participating Budget locations. Use BCD code U110900. Offer subject to vehicle availability at the time of rental and may not be available on some rates at some times including some online rates. Offer may not be used in conjunction with any other BCD number, promotion or offer.
  • Get up to 40% off rentals at participating Budget locations. Use BCD code W810011. Offer subject to vehicle availability at the time of rental and may not be available on some rates at some times including some online rates. Offer may not be used in conjunction with any other BCD number, promotion or offer.
  • Get up to 15% off rentals at participating Budget locations in FLORIDA. Use BCD code Y937800. Offer subject to vehicle availability at the time of rental and may not be available on some rates at some times including some online rates. Offer may not be used in conjunction with any other BCD number, promotion or offer.
  • Wal-Mart Customers (i.e., anyone) can get up to 25% off rentals at Budget. Use BCD code W810011.
  • Another Wal-Mart code: Use BCD code W810000 at Budget. Source: Wal-Mart edition Rand-McNally Atlas. Thanks to Joe J for info.
  • WestJet "guests" can save on rentals with BCD code A376100 at Budget. You don't have to prove that you have flown with this Canadian airline to use the ID #. Thanks to Tammy C for info.

girlscruise2011

I usually use Dollar and play the price game with them. Check everyday to see if the rate went down and then MODIFY to the new lower rate.

Have gotten some very good prices in the past.

Good Luck!

beerman2, thank you. I will keep checking plus Alamo sends me some deals since I used them in October. Whoever comes up with the cheaper price gets my business :D

girlscruise2011, just checked dates with info you provided and got the mini-van for $87.16.

Rate ( USD )

68.00 car

0.00 options0.00 equipment & services

0.00 protections

19.16 taxes & fees4.93 total taxes

14.23 total fees

$ 87.16 TOTAL

elmoe, thanks for checking for me. I ended up for about .50 more going with Dollar. They have the free shuttle from the car rental center that Budget doesn't have. I'm going to keep price checking though. If the rates drop, it may be worth the $10 cab fare.

Girlscruise2011

I'm sure it will work out. It's a GAME with the rental companies, some play it better than others. Keep checking with Dollar, pretty sure as you get closer it will change for the better. It HAS worked for me the last 3 times.

cackles, thanks SO much.

I started to not trust my memory, so I went back and checked my records. I need to correct a few detail of what I said earlier. First of all, I cruised in September, not October. (How could I forget the month of my cruise???!!!)

For FLL to MIA I bid on Priceline, and here are the details:

Rental Partner: Alamo Rent a Car Car Type: Standard Car

(Unlimited Mileage)

Offer Price Summary

Bonus Cash Per Day: $3.00 (USD) (per day)

Your Offer Price Per Day: $15.00 (USD) (per day)

Total Offer Price with Bonus: $18.00 (USD) (per day)

Total Charges to Your Credit Card

Your Offer Price: $15.00 (per day)

Total Rental Days: 1 days(0 days and 15 1/2 hours)

Subtotal: $15.00

Taxes and Fees: $15.35

Total Charges: $30.35

Lowest Published Price: $70.29 (USD)

Total Savings:* $39.94 (USD) (You saved 57%)

So $30, not $25, for a standard size that was upgraded to a minivan on site. To get Priceline Bonus Cash, sign up for their offers. Every so often they will send you an e-mail with a Bonus Cash offer that's good for 24 hours, either on car rentals or hotels. As long as I am able to wait, I only bid when I have a bonus cash offer. I won this bid one month before I traveled, and I think if I had waited longer it would have been a little lower.

For MIA back to FLL after the cruise, I reserved directly on the Alamo website using a discount code and a double upgrade coupon. Here's the details:

Base Rate - Compact (USD)

(1) Day Rate ($16.72/day) $16.72

Upgrade Coupon Accepted

Contract I.D. WKADVANT

Guaranteed Base Rate Included

Unlimited Miles Included

Subtotal..............................................$16.72

Taxes, Surcharges and Fees

Concession Recoup Fee 9.89 % $1.72

Rental Car Facility Chg 4.60/day $4.60

Tire/battery Fee .02/day $0.02

Florida Surcharge 2.00/day $2.00

Vehicle License Fee .69/day $0.69

Sales Tax (7.0%) $1.80

Subtotal..............................................$10.83

Estimated Total.......................................$27.55

So it shows a Compact, but with the double upgrade, it was a standard size car. I got that rate on Alamo one week before the cruise, two weeks before the rental. GirlsCruise gave you an important reminder: If you bid on Priceline, you are not guaranteed to get an agency that will have a shuttle. If you win Avis, for example, you would be on your own to get to the port. I was willing to take that chance, because the other agencies' rates were so much higher I felt comfortable that I would win one of the ones with a shuttle (which I listed earlier). But you are always better off with a conventional reservation if you can get a rate that is close, and you see that my rez with Alamo ended up being cheaper than my Priceline bid. I would recommend waiting until a month or less before the cruise before you do any bids on Priceline. And even then, be fully aware of the best rate you can get on your own and factor in the risk factor that you might not get the free shuttle before you decide what to bid. And always look at the total cost on Priceline, cause the taxes and fees are high. My $15/day Priceline bid cost more than my $16.72/day rez through Alamo. I hope you get a great deal!

I started to not trust my memory, so I went back and checked my records. I need to correct a few detail of what I said earlier. First of all, I cruised in September, not October. (How could I forget the month of my cruise???!!!)

For FLL to MIA I bid on Priceline, and here are the details:

Rental Partner: Alamo Rent a Car Car Type: Standard Car

(Unlimited Mileage)

Offer Price Summary

Bonus Cash Per Day: $3.00 (USD) (per day)

Your Offer Price Per Day: $15.00 (USD) (per day)

Total Offer Price with Bonus: $18.00 (USD) (per day)

Total Charges to Your Credit Card

Your Offer Price: $15.00 (per day)

Total Rental Days: 1 days(0 days and 15 1/2 hours)

Subtotal: $15.00

Taxes and Fees: $15.35

Total Charges: $30.35

Lowest Published Price: $70.29 (USD)

Total Savings:* $39.94 (USD) (You saved 57%)

So $30, not $25, for a standard size that was upgraded to a minivan on site. To get Priceline Bonus Cash, sign up for their offers. Every so often they will send you an e-mail with a Bonus Cash offer that's good for 24 hours, either on car rentals or hotels. As long as I am able to wait, I only bid when I have a bonus cash offer. I won this bid one month before I traveled, and I think if I had waited longer it would have been a little lower.

For MIA back to FLL after the cruise, I reserved directly on the Alamo website using a discount code and a double upgrade coupon. Here's the details:

Base Rate - Compact (USD)

(1) Day Rate ($16.72/day) $16.72

Upgrade Coupon Accepted

Contract I.D. WKADVANT

Guaranteed Base Rate Included

Unlimited Miles Included

Subtotal..............................................$16.72

Taxes, Surcharges and Fees

Concession Recoup Fee 9.89 % $1.72

Rental Car Facility Chg 4.60/day $4.60

Tire/battery Fee .02/day $0.02

Florida Surcharge 2.00/day $2.00

Vehicle License Fee .69/day $0.69

Sales Tax (7.0%) $1.80

Subtotal..............................................$10.83

Estimated Total.......................................$27.55

So it shows a Compact, but with the double upgrade, it was a standard size car. I got that rate on Alamo one week before the cruise, two weeks before the rental. GirlsCruise gave you an important reminder: If you bid on Priceline, you are not guaranteed to get an agency that will have a shuttle. If you win Avis, for example, you would be on your own to get to the port. I was willing to take that chance, because the other agencies' rates were so much higher I felt comfortable that I would win one of the ones with a shuttle (which I listed earlier). But you are always better off with a conventional reservation if you can get a rate that is close, and you see that my rez with Alamo ended up being cheaper than my Priceline bid. I would recommend waiting until a month or less before the cruise before you do any bids on Priceline. And even then, be fully aware of the best rate you can get on your own and factor in the risk factor that you might not get the free shuttle before you decide what to bid. And always look at the total cost on Priceline, cause the taxes and fees are high. My $15/day Priceline bid cost more than my $16.72/day rez through Alamo. I hope you get a great deal!

Thanks for the great info. You got a great deal both ways! I was thinking of doing the Priceline thing closer to the cruise but thats what scares me is the costs of the taxes BUT if I can get a minivan for $30 total, it will be worth paying for the taxi.

For now, I'll keep what I have and play the pricing game. Hopefully as it gets closer, the rates will drop.

are there other rental agencies downtown and they're just not coming up in my searches?

Downtown car rental agencies convenient to POM:

Avis

99 Southeast 2nd Street

Budget

89 Se 2nd Street

Hertz

229 Southeast 2nd Street

Enterprise

Located inside of the Hyatt Regency

[NOT OPEN SUNDAY!]

Edited by miamiyogi

Just booked with Budget for FLL/MIA rtn for Oct. Full size came to 59.00 Tx. included for 1 day unlimited miles.

Rtn is at the downtown location. 89 2nd Ave.

But I will keep checking all rental companies.

• 1 year later...

This was a great thread I used back in 2012 when we last cruised. We ended up booking a rental car with Budget using a code, so it ended up being cheaper than a shuttle for our family of 4. We stayed in Miami and in the morning DH dropped us and the bags then returned the car to airport and took the free shuttle back. It was super easy. On our return we booked a shuttle (SAS I believe) and that did not go well. We would likely consider a rental for our return to FILL this next trip if we can get a good rate in reverse.

I would love to see this thread updated with any recent experience doing this -shuttles, agencies, etc. Thanks in advance for any new info!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I've done a lot of research on this topic (looking at shuttles vs, car rentals) for our spring break cruise in a few weeks. I found the cheapest prices using Costco travel. We are renting a mini van from ALamo on 3/28 from FLL returning it 3/29 at MIA w/free shuttle to POM for $67. On 4/5 we are renting another mini van from Alamo MIA (w/free shuttle to airport) and dropping it off the same day at FLL for $49. This is saving our family of 7 $ and we have the freedom to do what we wish to and fro. If you are a Costco member their prices beat any coupon codes - prices fluctuate so keep checking them.