Good deals at the spa...how to get them?

twindaddy

Will be on the Splendor in December, in all my cruises on Disney I never set foot in the spa. Now and then I like to have some manscaping done, a pedi or a massage, but the prices on Disney were outrageous for stuff I could just get on land before I go. I did want to try that mud thing....ahem...but wife never wanted to do it, and well, it wouldnt be fun alone. :rolleyes:

However, Carnival has peaked my intrest with the mens facial / masage / shave.

So I ask those in the know, what is the best way to get a good price on spa services? I have heard they have spa raffles the first day, or sometimes they have deals on port days. I dont see this treatment selling out, so I am williing to take the risk of missing it if I can get a better deal onboard rather than prebooking and paying $95. For that I could get a 3 hour massage at my favorite place locally.

What has worked for you in the past? Give me your tips and tricks please! Thanks!

Will be on the Splendor in December, in all my cruises on Disney I never set foot in the spa. Now and then I like to have some manscaping done, a pedi or a massage, but the prices on Disney were outrageous for stuff I could just get on land before I go. I did want to try that mud thing....ahem...but wife never wanted to do it, and well, it wouldnt be fun alone. :rolleyes:

However, Carnival has peaked my intrest with the mens facial / masage / shave.

So I ask those in the know, what is the best way to get a good price on spa services? I have heard they have spa raffles the first day, or sometimes they have deals on port days. I dont see this treatment selling out, so I am williing to take the risk of missing it if I can get a better deal onboard rather than prebooking and paying $95. For that I could get a 3 hour massage at my favorite place locally.

What has worked for you in the past? Give me your tips and tricks please! Thanks!

They have special deals on port days and a slightly less better deals on the last sea day. I am a hard core mani/pedi kinda girl, but I can't bring myself to pay ship prices (for any service) you can get a local massage for far less (if you just are interested in that). Ship spa service just defies my cheapy logic. I would check out deals in your area, many times they have groupons for spa services and its always so much better than a cruise. :)

They also push products on you after your treatment- and they push HARD! Kinda ruins the good after feeling you have after a massage when they basically tell you need 30 products to be "normal" and they make you feel like your disgusting.

They did the same to my DH after his treatments- really ruined it for him too.

They also push products on you after your treatment- and they push HARD! Kinda ruins the good after feeling you have after a massage when they basically tell you need 30 products to be "normal" and they make you feel like your disgusting.

They did the same to my DH after his treatments- really ruined it for him too.

Yeah, I have heard that on Disney too, some people write "no sales pitch, please" on their registration forms.

The prices are pretty steep compared to even a nice spa on land, but I was going to splurge on the shave and scalp massage. A scalp massage is like pure bliss to me!

I might go to the first day raffle and see if I win anything

There are always decent specials but I too want to chime in/offer a tip about the product selling.

Before we even get started, I learn to tell my "therapist" or "artisan" or "clinician" or whatever they are called that cruise that I am there to relax and not to buy product. However, that is their job and they are trying to be good employees plus make a living.

So, I tell my person before they begin that I would like to give them an additional $10 in cash if they just don't try to sell me any product. I figure they get 10% of sales so they are just as well off as if I'd bought $100 in toner, exfoliator, spot remover, stain lifter, whatever. They are always, always amenable!

It might not help their sales totals but I feel good about helping them and for $10, we're both happy.

We've seen different "deals" depending on how busy the spa is.

When we sailed on the Dream last October, there were ZERO specials besides the usual "port day" reduced prices. They were BUSY all the time. My wife couldn't squeeze in an appointment for a simple massage.

On other cruises, the deals have been a bit more generous, mostly with daily spa specials, bundled packages, etc.

However, when we sailed on the Fascination in December 2010, they were BEGGING people to come to the spa. They even had a bowl where you could place an offer for the treatment you wanted. If they accepted it, they would call you. My wife placed a ridiculous bid that included hair style, pedicure/manicure, and massage....and they accepted it!

My wife actually told them when she got there that they must've been desperate, and the receptionist said that the Jacksonville crowd is simply not the "spa going crowd"...(read between the lines)....so they have to take whatever they can!

Archived