Seat Saving...

boltnut55

OK, I've read about saving seats, and I guess there are some strong feelings against that. Here's my situation:

There will be 6 adults and an 8 year old traveling in our party. My in-laws (FIL and MIL) are elderly AND can't walk very well, fast, or far, due to medical reasons - this will be the cruise of a lifetime. There may be times in which we would want to save seats, such as the show, and for the sake of argument, let's say we saved aisle seats, not in the middle where folks would have to get up for them. Is this a definitely no-no? Or are there seat saving situations that annoy people more than others? Personally, I'm very easy-going and don't really care (or care that others aren't dressed appropriately, etc.), but I don't want to commit an obvious faux pas either.

Yes, we will make sure they leave their room with plenty of time or may send someone to bring them - they don't speak a lot of English, and I'm guessing the whole experience will be overwhelming for them, so they might be late because they took a wrong turn or any number of possibilities. I just don't want to worry about annoying the entire ship with something that was innocently done w/o malice.

I dont see a problem, there is also room infront of the seats so that people and waiters can walk though, Make sure you get there after Dinner and have at least 2 other adults there with you to spread out and so they can put down their sweaters or bags to show the seats are being used. oh and tell them to hurry !!! lol

The Problem is usually with Pool side chairs not so much as the Late night show seats. There are 2 Shows every night, if they miss one then they can go to the next one. Thats one reason why I like to book first or main dinner seating, if I like the Comedian, I like to see the show again.

Have two adults and the child in seats spaced out so it looks like you are waiting for parteners. ie OXOXOOX, O is the seat you a holding for someone and X is a filled seat. Put the child in the middle. When they do get there move the child over and the other person to the middle. I don't consider this bad. It is for the same family.

I hate it when there is only one or two people saving a row of 10 seats plus their's. The people come enmasse with drinks in their hands just a minute before the show and most are not elderly or disabled in anyway. I have seen where two rows of seat were being saved this way while people were trying to find seats 10 minutes before the show. The crew were just starting to sit people here when the group showed up and were they mad because they could not sit together. They said that they paid for the cruise and deserved to sit where they wanted too.

Whewn sailing on the Miracle in February- we tried to see the midnight comedian. We arrived at the lounde half hour before and there was not a seat to be had. Lots of people were saving whole rows of seats. I think its ok to save one or two seats but sheesh--the whole row??

I would love to know whose brilliant idea it was to move these shows out of the main show room and put them into the smaller lounges.

I think if you are saving seats for only a couple of people you will be okay. As the above posters stated, what people usually get mad about is whole rows of seats being saved. Most people understand that some people just can't move as fast as others (i.e. elderly, disabled, etc.) Just make sure that they are following as close behind you as they can. Don't go there early to get the seats and have them arrive at the last minute or after the show has started.

Bolt, saving two seats shouldn't pose a problem. If anybody glares at you, you might smile sweetly and say "Saving for two elderly passengers who walk slowly."..... and keep smiling. Most folks will understand.:)

Archived