RCCL - overall food quality poll

How do you rate RCCL food overall?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate RCCL food overall?

• Food doesn't matter to me, you're asking the wrong person
    • I don't care, it's not me who's cooking!!
    • It's ok but, I feel other similar cruise lines like Carnival or NCL are better
    • It's not bad, about the same you'd expect from a catering hall at a wedding or banquet
    • It was ok before but, I have seen improvement over the past 5 year, so now I rate it "good"
    • I would rate it good to very good, not 5 star dining but still very acceptable
    • it's very good
    • it's excellent
    • best i ever had on a cruise line

I have been on Mariner twice, and that is my only RCCL experience. I thought the food was good. Probably not as good as some, but it was enjoyable. The food we had in Chops (I have eaten there 3 times now) was absolutely outstanding.

The food is good enough to book the cruise for sure!

Just want to conduct an overall poll about RCCL main dining room food. This is NOT meant to start the great food war debates - I want to book the new Freedom of the Seas and, am a bit gun shy because of the bad food reviews.

Been on many cruise lines. RCCL Food rate right up there. I would not be gun shy on that cruise.:)

Been on many cruise lines. RCCL Food rate right up there. I would not be gun shy on that cruise.:)

Grumpy -

How did you get your past cruises to move along the bottom of the screen?

Neat idea :)

I'm curious what we all mean when we refer to 5* restaurants. I doubt that many of us have even eaten in any. They're RARE!

-Monte

Monte, you're kidding, right? Why, here in Charlotte we have a lot of five-star restaurants. Let's see.... there's Red Lobster, Chili's, Golden Corral, Shoney's, Quincy's, TGIFridays, Ruby Tuesday, Western Sizzlin'...... the list goes on and on! Oh, and I almost forgot Bob Evans!

Allen

We have been on 13 RCI cruises - the food has mostly been fine; some things better than others. Having said that, our last one was on the Radiance, and the food was markedly better than any we had encountered on all the other ships. Food in Chops was good, although my steak was way too done for me. I didn't sent it back because we had already been there for 45 minutes when it was finally served, and didn't want to spend the time waiting for another. All in all, we enjoyed the dining room food much better. There were a number of items that were EXCELLENT. We were very impressed with the improved quality.

I refer to true 5 star restaurants such as French Laundry in Yountville, CA -www.frenchlaundry.com - where I eat once a month

They are rare, and you can find them in the most unlikely places. Last month, we went down to Charleston for the Family Circle Women's tennis tournament and had dinner in Summerville, South Carolina, about 30 miles north of Charleston. It was the dining room at the Woodlands resort and was one of the best meals we've ever had... anywhere. It is five-star and was recently picked as one of the top three restaurants in the United States.

The 2004 Mobil Guide lists only 13 five-star restaurants in the United States. We've eaten extensively (and the scales prove it!) in Charleston and New Orleans, and Mobil lists only two four-star restaurants in Charleston and only six in New Orleans. Neither city has a five-star restaurant. In New Orleans, famed restaurants such as Brennan's, Commander's Palace, Antoine's, Galatoire's, Broussards, Tujague's and Arnaud's didn't make the list. Emeril's and his Delmonico were the only two well-known ones to make it.

I would honestly consider Celebrity's specialty dining rooms on the M-class ships as definitely being between four-star and five-star. We will be trying Chops and Portofino's in July on our Med/Greek Isles cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas and have heard lots of very good things about them..

Allen

I found that the food quality has greatly imporved on RCI since the Adventure cruise that I took 3 years ago. Not sure if it has to do with the new menus or the fact that I was on a smaller ship (Serenade), or the expectations (low expecatations and average quality food may have made the experience better).

I will say that food in the specialty resteraunts is MUCH better than the food served in the dining room (chops and portofino's).

:D

I refer to true 5 star restaurants such as French Laundry in Yountville, CA -www.frenchlaundry.com - where I eat once a month

I am not sure but I think I just might hate you. ONCE A MONTH?? Gosh I am just pea green here. I have their cookbook and I just look at the recipes and drool. One of these days I will get to the left coast again and make reservations. Their food looks divine.

I loved a lot of things on RCCL cruise , but food was pretty average...Definitely bellow Celebrity's and HAL's. (everywhere in dining room ,buffet and hamburger/pizza station near solarium pool, grand buffet). We did however enjoyed our experience in dining room ... service was friendly and view out of huge 2 story windows was great.

They are rare' date=' and you can find them in the most unlikely places. .

The 2004 Mobil Guide lists only 13 five-star restaurants in the United States. Allen[/quote']

Thanks Allen. You back up my belief completely. I doubt that the majority of those on these boards would know a 5* meal if we had one. Yet, we keep comparing cruise food (including the buffets ;) ) to 5* dining. Personally, being a "down home" kinda food guy, I find the majority of food in the dining rooms to be quite good. And I get what I expect in the buffets.

jmo

-Monte

I think it depends on what you like. I have met several people on cruises who were disappointed with the food because they really like Cracker Barrel. One man was really upset because they don't serve chicken fried steak. My MIL was disappointed because she liked the salad dressing at Olive Garden better. We took my inlaws to a very expensive upscale restuarant. My FIL ordered the fish which I tried to talk him out of and suggested the steak. He said that he really liked fish. But he didn't like the way this was prepared. He likes fried fish. I thought the fish was delicious. And they really didn't like the mesculan greens in the salad. They would have preferred plain old lettuce. My inlaws like home cooking. DH and I like upscale and more exotic dishes. So when people complain or brag about the food, it is based on their personal likes and dislikes, not necessarily on the food.

We have enjoyed most of our meals on our 9 RCI cruises. But are really looking forward to the dining our Oceania cruise next year.

Nliedel - book early, they only have 17 tables in the entire restaurant and the food is wonderful!!

Now, I hate to sound like a culinary snob but, can someone tell me what exactly is chicken fried steak, I've heard of it, just never had it...

Thanks for your replies all, overall, RCCL doesn't sound bad and very do-able for a 1 week cruise. Does anyone have menus they can post?

Thanks!!

Now, I hate to sound like a culinary snob but, can someone tell me what exactly is chicken fried steak, I've heard of it, just never had it...

!

Here's a link to a CFS site-actually its a southerfood site (which proves everything has a site)

http://southernfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa980222.htm

-Monte

Nliedel - book early, they only have 17 tables in the entire restaurant and the food is wonderful!!

Thanks!!

People here in New York don't know what chicken fried steak is either. It is cube steak, floured or sometimes breaded, fried and smothered in gravy. I certainly wouldn't consider it a haute cuisine. It must be a midwestern and southern thing. I was born and raised in Kansas City and my mother fixed it. DH was born and raised in Oklahoma and his mother fixed it. My FIL was born and raised in North Carolina and his mother fixed it. I haven't had it since I left home and it isn't something I would either cook or order.

I can explain what I didn't like about the food.

Absence of variety of fresh juices (except orange for breakfast). During some days the only potato product available for breakfast was low quality hush brown. (similar to one I buy for emergency situations ;) ) Also there was omelet station ,but you could only order standard omelet (on Celebrity there were about 20 ingredients available).

In dining room I felt fish products were Ok...but majority of steaks (and other meat products) were not very good. I also saw too "well-done" escargot for the first time in my life. :eek: Often vegetables tasted like they were from the can.

I noticed that the first and last nights were the worst...and some nights were good.

We weren't hungry, just weren't enjoying our meals as much as on X or HAL.

I thought the last two have more sophisticated menus and better quality fo food over all.

I wonder if quality of food is different on different RCCL ships/itineraries. Our cruise was in Med sea.

I think it depends on what you like. I have met several people on cruises who were disappointed with the food because they really like Cracker Barrel. One man was really upset because they don't serve chicken fried steak. My MIL was disappointed because she liked the salad dressing at Olive Garden better. We took my inlaws to a very expensive upscale restuarant. My FIL ordered the fish which I tried to talk him out of and suggested the steak. He said that he really liked fish. But he didn't like the way this was prepared. He likes fried fish. I thought the fish was delicious. And they really didn't like the mesculan greens in the salad. They would have preferred plain old lettuce. My inlaws like home cooking. DH and I like upscale and more exotic dishes. So when people complain or brag about the food, it is based on their personal likes and dislikes, not necessarily on the food.

We have enjoyed most of our meals on our 9 RCI cruises. But are really looking forward to the dining our Oceania cruise next year.

Was thinking of taking some relative on there first cruise. But I know they would be looking for the sausage and pepper or Fair type food.

Let us know how the Oceania food is.:)

If the food on Oceania is as good as it was when the ships were Renaissance, it will

be great. The R ships are beautiful, and very comfortable/almost luxurious. We loved

our Med cruise on R6, which was identical to R1-5. have fun

I have NEVER understood those who have major problems with the RCCL food. On the 2 cruises I've been on, I've throughly enjoyed the food. The variety is excellent. The quality varies from good (Windjammer) to very good (Main Dining Room) to excellent (Portofino's).

I mean, unless there's a floating Peter Luger's somewhere, this is some damn fine sea food IMHO.

I have NEVER understood those who have major problems with the RCCL food. On the 2 cruises I've been on, I've throughly enjoyed the food. The variety is excellent. .

As I mentioned earlier, I've eaten in legitimate five-star and four-star restaurants, but I honestly have to say that in nine previous cruises, I have never had a meal I didn't like and have never felt the need to return food because it was unsatisfactory. I even like the buffet, and feel they really go out of their way to have a large variety of different foods from many different countries. Realistically, the logistics of a buffet severely limit what can be offered and I think the cruise ships do a great job with their buffets. And there's always the dining room as an option for those who feel buffet food is beneath them.

Allen

I have NEVER understood those who have major problems with the RCCL food. On the 2 cruises I've been on, I've throughly enjoyed the food. The variety is excellent. The quality varies from good (Windjammer) to very good (Main Dining Room) to excellent (Portofino's).

I mean, unless there's a floating Peter Luger's somewhere, this is some damn fine sea food IMHO.

I guess different people have different opinions, right? :) Have you ever sailed on another line?

Food quality won't prevent us from sailing on Royal Caribbean ships, we weren't hungry at any point of our cruise, but it is definitely not RCCL strong point. (Beautiful ships, energetic atmosphere and variety of things to do are main sailing points of this company).

Archived