The EPIC Adventure of a Solo Fashionista

lara_lox

• 1 month later...

Someone referred me to this thread and although its over 6 months old I just want to say THANK YOU for writing. I too (27 yrs old) will be doing my 2nd solo cruise this year on Norwegian Breakaway to celebrate my 28th bday. Did a solo cruise on the Jewel a couple yrs back and did not have as much fun as you've posted. I definitely think the Studio Lounge makes all the difference in connecting other solo travelers/singles with each other. Thank you so much for making me feel more confident in my choice to try solo cruising a 2nd time around!!!:D

Carla

Someone referred me to this thread and although its over 6 months old I just want to say THANK YOU for writing. I too (27 yrs old) will be doing my 2nd solo cruise this year on Norwegian Breakaway to celebrate my 28th bday. Did a solo cruise on the Jewel a couple yrs back and did not have as much fun as you've posted. I definitely think the Studio Lounge makes all the difference in connecting other solo travelers/singles with each other. Thank you so much for making me feel more confident in my choice to try solo cruising a 2nd time around!!!:D

Carla

Glad you found it. Lara has a more recent one as well. She does a great review.

• 5 weeks later...
Great review and pictures, Lara. Cannot wait to go on my Epic Med cruise next year.

Thank you :) It seems like so long ago now. I'm sure you'll have a great time, come back and tell everyone about it. As usual I'm already looking into my next trip! Happy Cruising :D

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Lara for a great review! You are a snappy dresser! HA!

It sure makes me want to cruise the Epic.... I wish the Epic didn't go to Nassau when over here doing the Caribbean....I'll probably never make it to the Mediterranean!

The Mediterranean is awesome! We have exhausted the Caribbean, (still love it and maybe a couple islands still to see) tried the cruise out of Rome, saw Italy, Greece, Turkey.....omg if you can find a way and you love cruising then try to get there before you die. You will never forget the experience and will want to go again! :p

• 1 month later...

I am going on Epic ina studio n two weeks time so have read this with interest!

Although I am technically not solo as my daughter and family and her in laws as on her but I am the only one on her own as such.I will investigate the solo lounge!!!!

I'm Sold!!! What a brilliant review :D

I'm doing my first solo cruise this year on Thomson Dream - as a starting off point as I really didn't know what to expect..... But I really want to try Epic and your review has sold it to me :)

Can I ask you a few (probably stupid and self explanatory) questions?

From what I understood from your review you booked your cruise through NCL without your flights, then booked your flights through another company. Is that easy to do & will it work out cheaper?

Also you mentioned that you took the NCL transfers - is that easy to organise & how do you organise that?

Or should I just find a TA to book it all through?

Sorry for the pestering questions :o

Can I ask you a few (probably stupid and self explanatory) questions?

From what I understood from your review you booked your cruise through NCL without your flights, then booked your flights through another company. Is that easy to do & will it work out cheaper?

Also you mentioned that you took the NCL transfers - is that easy to organise & how do you organise that?

Or should I just find a TA to book it all through?

Sorry for the pestering questions :o

Pester away, that's how you learn things!

I actually booked my entire cruise package through a very well known UK TA. (let's just say Mr Cook must be a rich man!) This was the flights/transfers/cruise as put together by NCL but brokered through the agent. Transfers are almost always included when you book the flights with them. I did this rather than booking directly just because they were offering it slightly cheaper. This only works if the flights they are offering in their package are suitable.

Eg. On one of my cruises on Norwegian Jade, the flights NCL offered were more expensive and included changing planes in London. Now this was silly when I knew another airline did easy direct flights from Manchester. So on that occasion my TA put together an ATOL protected package for me - flights I wanted, transfers arranged by the TA (mini bus for me and the other people who chose this option through them) then the cruise. Hopefully that makes sense?

Basically there is no best way, just do your research by checking cruise only prices on Cruise & TA website, check flights on somewhere like Expedia, and call up the cruise line to see which flights they are using in their package to compare. Also check the distance from airport to port, as some are very easy and even cheaper to do by taxi than transfer. For example Barcelona or Miami.

It sounds way more complicated than it really is. Good luck :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks for a great and detailed review. I'm booked for Caribbean on Epic in November... and as a 23-year old solo, I've been a bit apprehensive about the possibility of being a total outcast. Seems like I'll find ways to have a good time regardless. :)

PS - I wish I had gotten into cruising a few years ago when I was living in Texas.. flying to Miami from Seattle is super expensive in comparison. A solo cruise to Alaska doesn't have the same appeal to me (nor do they have the Epic studios ;))

• 1 month later...

I finally got to read them all. Just one question????? I love your shoes how tall are you? I tried wearing heels on my first cruise and almost feel over when the ship rocked. How do you do it? I can hardly wait until your next cruise.

I finally got to read them all. Just one question????? I love your shoes how tall are you? I tried wearing heels on my first cruise and almost feel over when the ship rocked. How do you do it? I can hardly wait until your next cruise.

Thanks Magico :) I'm only about 5ft1, I've always worn heels because I'm so tiny, I think I must just be used to them now so that's why I can walk in even very high ones. The ship rocking is no different than having had a few too many cocktails haha :D

• 5 months later...

Very nice review. never sailed ncl but this review might make me consider trying this particular cruise line. you are very easy on the eyes (something I learned from my elder). noticed you bit your lip a lot in your pictures. is that a just a habit of yours?

Errrrr, no... that's just my face! I have an asymmetrical mouth!

HaHaHa Lara!!!! Similar to a new co-worker once telling me my sunglasses were bent when it was really just that I had a crooked nose from an incident as a child.