Dubrovnik wall access for walking person with disability

My daughter can walk but is partially paralyzed and can not do steep and narrow stairs. Is there a stairway to the top of the wall that is less steep than another? Which access would be recommended? I have spent some time searching however most questions for disabled in Dubrovnik are for those in scooters or wheelchairs. We do not need either but want to know if there is an easier way to gain access to the top. Thank you.

My daughter can walk but is partially paralyzed and can not do steep and narrow stairs. Is there a stairway to the top of the wall that is less steep than another? Which access would be recommended? I have spent some time searching however most questions for disabled in Dubrovnik are for those in scooters or wheelchairs. We do not need either but want to know if there is an easier way to gain access to the top. Thank you.

Simple answer to your question is No, there is no easy way to reach the top of the city wall. Main entrance is closest to the Pile gate has 87 narrow steps to reach the top. The walk is counter clockwise only which means you would then be doing the sea side of the wall which is the least difficult, but still many steps.

There is another entrance located close to Ploce gate with less entry steps, but still narrow and steep. This entrance would begin the walk on the land side which is upward the entire way until you reach Minceta tower the highest point on the wall.

The wall was built during the 11th and 12th Century, steps were narrow and steep and nothing has changed since that time. Do keep in mind the entire wall has a total of 1080 steps spread throughout. This could be very difficult for anyone with any type of disability.

May I suggest that you use the Cabrio bus sightseeing tour for your daughter. The bus makes a photo stop at the viewpoint on the highway and would be less taxing. It is a 2 hour sightseeing tour with an audio guide in English, great trip and a very good value.

http://libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

Simple answer to your question is No, there is no easy way to reach the top of the city wall. Main entrance is closest to the Pile gate has 87 narrow steps to reach the top. The walk is counter clockwise only which means you would then be doing the sea side of the wall which is the least difficult, but still many steps.

There is another entrance located close to Ploce gate with less entry steps, but still narrow and steep. This entrance would begin the walk on the land side which is upward the entire way until you reach Minceta tower the highest point on the wall.

The wall was built during the 11th and 12th Century, steps were narrow and steep and nothing has changed since that time. Do keep in mind the entire wall has a total of 1080 steps spread throughout. This could be very difficult for anyone with any type of disability.

May I suggest that you use the Cabrio bus sightseeing tour for your daughter. The bus makes a photo stop at the viewpoint on the highway and would be less taxing. It is a 2 hour sightseeing tour with an audio guide in English, great trip and a very good value.

http://libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

Thank you so much for your information. I had a feeling the wall would be a no-go for my daughter but wanted to ask to make sure. I will check out your tour information. With that and walking through the old town, I think she will have a fun day.

Dubrovniktravelady, when we arrive in port, we are planning to use the local bus to take us to the old town according to info I've been given. Is this still what we need to do in order to do the cabrio bus tour? Where do we purchase tickets for this? Thank you!

Dubrovniktravelady, when we arrive in port, we are planning to use the local bus to take us to the old town according to info I've been given. Is this still what we need to do in order to do the cabrio bus tour? Where do we purchase tickets for this? Thank you!

Please note that some (not all) of our local buses do not have a/c. Perhaps my post on the Cabrio bus will give you enough information - routes, stops, fares...

http://essenceofdubrovnik.com/2012/07/11/cabrio-bus/

Archived