First Time Cruisers 2 Cozumel, Mexico; George Town, Grand Cayman; Falmouth, Jamaica

Dani4Hedgies

Hello everyone,

We are first time cruisers heading out on Nov 25 from Galveston on the Mariner of the Seas and we are trying to find out info on what cor_shoreexcursions_hdr2.gif people suggest. We are a family of 3 (my husband pdmedic and myself and our then 12 yr old son) we are all scuba divers (our son is going through his classes right now) and we have heard that people don't suggest wondering about Jamaica. So we are looking at Jamaica foreaday Falmouth at the Hilton Rose Hall Resort

& Spa and we were wondering if anyone has been here and what their thoughts were? We have read a lot of reviews that say the resort is good but to get your own taxi?

We have also heard of Diving at Sting Ray City at Grand Cayman and would love more info from those who has done this dive. What boat/company you went with? What suggestion do you have for a first time visitors to GC?

Which of course bring us to our last stop (though I think it is actually our first on the cruise) is Cozumel and what we should expect here. I have heard both that you shouldn't free roam Cozumel and that it is ok to what do other suggest? Also looking for a fun filled day at Cozumel not really into shopping but would love to do scuba diving or perhaps see the ruins. Have discovered XPLOR-All Inclusive Adventure - CZL3 and wonder what people have to say about this event. Also saw that the vehicles are only two seaters is this true or is there place for a 3?

Thank you for all your help

Hi and welcome to cruise critic,

Not sure if you've posted there already but there may very well be a roll call on the the boards for your cruise where you can 'meet' other people on the cruise with you. There is a link to the roll call boards on the right of this page. There are also ports of call boards which are loaded with information and advice.

Have a fabulous cruise. I'm sure you will be hooked!! :D

Been to these ports a few times....a few things everyone has to do, at least once in their lifetime...

Dunn's River falls in Jamaica, you can book a ship's excursion to be safer.

And

Doing your thing with the Sting Rays, can be Scuba in your case in the Caymen's

And in Cozumel, seeing you are all certified, Jacques Cousteau put Cozumel's PALANCAR REEF on the map!

NorbertsNiece

Thank you I didn't know about the roll call or the port check out will definably look more into those thanks for letting me know.

B-52

Awesome thank you thats what we were looking for we will add those to our list and can't wait to see what else is suggested.

Hi, Dani, in addition to joining your Roll Call thread, go to the Ports of Call>Caribbean forum and then the individual sub-forums, e.g., Cozumel.

IMO you've definitely got to dive Grand Cayman and Cozumel, which are two of the premier diving locations in the Caribbean, if not the best. There's amazing wall diving in Cayman, and like B-52 said, Palancar (and Columbia) reefs off Cozumel. I suggest you get some local dive operator recs from the forums and then compare to RCI's dive excursions. The pros of going with RCI are obvious--convenient transport logistics and onboard support before/after. The cons will likely be cost and the fact they are often dealing with a bunch of newbies, which can sometimes cause delay and even shorten your dives. Fortunately, you've started your research early, so you can call and email operators, incl. RCI's Sea Trek dive operator (I couldn't find their email address on quick search of the website, but if I recall correctly, an email address for them is listed on the detailed info page for dive-related excursions when you are logged into your Pre-Cruise Planner). Your own divemaster may have a recommendation, too.

So, because Grand Cayman is a tender port, which cuts into your time for the time, a combo trip that includes north wall diving plus a stop at the stingray sandbar would be ideal. You won't have much time for anything else here, except perhaps a stroll through town for a little shopping.

By contrast, Coz will likely be a long day in port, so you could dive in the AM and then do something else in the PM. Cozumel offers everything under the sun!

We were just in Falmouth. The cruise terminal itself is brand new and pleasant. But there hasn't been any development of activities and tours based in Falmouth, so all excursions require a 30-min. plus bus/van ride to Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, etc. Again, I'm with B-52: Dunn's River Falls is the best soft adventure/active excursion in Jamaica--our kids loved it!

Have fun researching and planning. And enjoy the Mariner--she's great!

Artemis,

Thanks for all the great info, my in laws told us that the diving is awesome but not to take our son to the wall diving as he is too new. But yep no worries we are diving Coz and Caymen just not sure of the exact places. We have talked with our dive master but no one besides in-laws has done diving while on a cruise so they suggest great places but worry about us getting back in time. So will definably research as you suggested and no doubt will end up with a great cruise :) Thanks for all your help

Hello everyone,

We are first time cruisers heading out on Nov 25 from Galveston on the Mariner of the Seas and we are trying to find out info on what cor_shoreexcursions_hdr2.gif people suggest. We are a family of 3 (my husband pdmedic and myself and our then 12 yr old son) we are all scuba divers (our son is going through his classes right now) and we have heard that people don't suggest wondering about Jamaica. So we are looking at Jamaica foreaday Falmouth at the Hilton Rose Hall Resort

& Spa and we were wondering if anyone has been here and what their thoughts were? We have read a lot of reviews that say the resort is good but to get your own taxi?

We have also heard of Diving at Sting Ray City at Grand Cayman and would love more info from those who has done this dive. What boat/company you went with? What suggestion do you have for a first time visitors to GC?

Which of course bring us to our last stop (though I think it is actually our first on the cruise) is Cozumel and what we should expect here. I have heard both that you shouldn't free roam Cozumel and that it is ok to what do other suggest? Also looking for a fun filled day at Cozumel not really into shopping but would love to do scuba diving or perhaps see the ruins. Have discovered XPLOR-All Inclusive Adventure - CZL3 and wonder what people have to say about this event. Also saw that the vehicles are only two seaters is this true or is there place for a 3?

Thank you for all your help

Mariner is a great ship - we just went on her the last week of February and DH and I have been quite a few ships. We took the same intineray you guys are taking and we have taken the same itinerary several times in the past.

My top suggestion is to go under the roll calls for people on your specific cruise. My other top suggestion is to go to boards under ports of call to read about these ports. I would never hesitate to take a 12-year old to any dive spot whatsover in these areas. If he cannot handle diving, he can snorkel. I've pretty much snorkeled all of these areas and most of the time we have divers and snorkelers on the same boat. (I am space sensitive so I don't dive but I have snorkeled all over the world - most with divers and my best being the drift snorkel/dive at Rangioria, French Polynesia).

None of the cruise ship stops on this itinerary are dangerous as will see when you go under ports of call.

I actually taught my nephew, who was 4-years old at the time, how to snorkel while we were in Cozumel on the 3-stop diving tour on Grand Princess. Anyway, he learned and when we stopped at Roatan and Belize for snorkeling, he was a pro. He is 10 now.

Anyway, "Stingray City" in Grand Cayman is not a snorkleing spot. It is an adult-waist high area with fed stingrays. Read about where to go under ports of call.

Falmouth is not a snorkeling spot - I agree, Dunn's Falls is a blast.

Cozumel is great but you need a private charter. The ones that the ship operates are just OK. Read about this under ports of call.

Have fun! Your son is old enough to tell you when it is enough and he can just snorkel when it is enough.

Also, I just saw you were looking at XPLOR. If you are looking at that route, skip them and go to either XCARET or XEL-HA with TULUM. You HAVE to book those through the ship because of the time constraints.

My huz and I went to Xel-Ha last Summer on a land-based vacation and it was a lot of fun but it is more "natural" than the others. It is next to Tulum so I would only recommend picking that one if you realy want to got to Tulum. Tulum is a great ruin to see but not as good as the ones at the Belize border. If you think it is your only chance to see a ruin, do not hesitate to book it.

If you have seen or know you will see ruins, then skip it and go to XCARET. Wonderful park! We love it so much we've even stayed at the hotel attached. Just google their website. You can check any of these on the tripadviser sites as well. My huz and I fly to Cancun to stay at Playa del Carmen/ Rivera Maya 1-2 a year so we know all of these parks. XCARET is only about a 10-min drive from the ferry dock in Playa but I would still recommend booking this one with the cruise ship directly.

The one you mentioned in in Cozumel. Skip it. Either go to the mainland (Playa del Carmen) or get a private charter for diving or go to Nachi Cochum.

Hello everyone,

We are first time cruisers heading out on Nov 25 from Galveston on the Mariner of the Seas....

Here is the link for our Roll Call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1529773http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1529773

Be sure to sign up and ask about excursions there.

Archived