British Open Cruise

Granny DI

This is the first time they are doing The Open which will be coming to Muirfield so allows them to use Edinburg as the port, they have done other sport and event related cruises such as Grand Prix, Rio Carnival, Chelsea Flower Show

Azamara is a great cruise line, ask away and I know you will get a lot of helpful answers on these boards. If you do book and want Edinburgh/Muirfield advice, do ask

Thanks for the info. We've been to Scotland numerous times to play golf and to get my DH's favorite scotch...Glenturret. The golf package is very expensive but DH really wants to do this...British open is a bucket list item for him. We've played St Andrews, Carnoustie, etc.

How lovely that your favourite tipple is Glenturret, this is a distillery that not many people know about. I remember going to Glenturret as a child before it became a recognised tourist spot. My grandfather owned a stone mason and traditional building company in Perthsire and did restoration work at the distillery in the 1930s and I used to be taken to see it. My late father was a Water Engineer who designed some of the flow work at Glenturret Reservoir up in the hills. That reservoir is now a major supplier of water to homes in Scotland, but before it was rebuilt in its present form, they had to make sure the water supplies to the distillery were secured and not diverted.

Maybe we should start a campaign for Glenturret to be served for you on Azamara, I do not recall it being on board, though they have great malts on board.

We all have things on our bucket list and golfing in Scotland during The Open must be a great one for golfers (sadly I neither play golf or even more surprisingly drink whisky)

Just booked this cruise and started a roll call.

We plan to do this one and the following for B2B.

DW has always wanted to tour parts of Scotland/Ireland...and I Norway.

EVERYBODY's happy...;)

uktog,

My DH wants to know how you can be a real Scot and not play golf or drink whisky. Thanks for the info on the Glenturret distillery. We're hoping we can buy Glenturret in Edinburgh. If not we'll hire a car and drive to the distillery like we always do!

uktog,

My DH wants to know how you can be a real Scot and not play golf or drink whisky. Thanks for the info on the Glenturret distillery. We're hoping we can buy Glenturret in Edinburgh. If not we'll hire a car and drive to the distillery like we always do!

I want DH to keep a straight face, I am allergic to whisky, I think it stems from my fathers over use of the product to cure a bad fever when I was about 1. Same father who had a very strong view that ladies should not play golf, but I love watching it!

As regards Whisky purchases, I think unless you want to have a drive up to Perthshire, I have a very easy solution for you. In Edinburgh, the ship will dock at Ocean Terminal which is also a nice shopping centre and in it is the Whisky Shop - http://www.whiskyshop.com. They usually have Glenturret and lots of other fab ones, I would email ahead and check they have the actual Turret you want in stock and ask them to keep it aside for you. The one thing that is not too smooth at Ocean Terminal is car hire I am afraid

• 1 month later...

I have a group of 5. We just booked this cruise.

We would like to look into getting a group to do excursion to the British Open separate from the one Azamara has put together.

Does anyone know a tour company that could help us?

Anyone interested in joining us?

I contacted Perry Golf and they advised:

"You can purchase tickets online via the Open Golf website http://www.theopen.com/ or simply pay on the day as there is no limit on the numbers that attend.

From the ship I would suggest taking the train from Edinburgh as they have dedicated bus service from the station to the course on arrival."

So it seems the process is reasonably painless!

Archived