Hotel for Precruise stay

TipsyT

We're needing to find an inexpensive but clean hotel that offers shuttle service from the airport and shuttle service to the cruise port. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Trish

p.s. We're looking at sailing on January 19th on RCCL Navigator of the Seas.

Not sure of any that will bring you to and from airport. Holiday Inn in Gretna does have great rates and will take you to and from the port.

Thanks, I'll check them out. Any idea the best way to get to the hotel from the airport?

I would take a cab, just not one that is a van. The van costs more. I do not know of any other ways. The limo service companies are usually a lot more.

Great! Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking of the same cruise and RCCL will get you a pre cruise hotel with transfer to pier and airport. chose is Hilton Garden Inn Hyatt or Mariott. Will becalling my travel agent on Monday to see where these hotels are at.

We are driving down from St. Louis for a cruise at the end of September, and need a clean inexpensive hotel in a safe area. We will not be doing any touring - just need a place to sleep - and prefer the Hilton chain. We are looking at the Hampton Inn in Metairie and the Homewood Suites in Slidell. Are these in a good area?

• 3 weeks later...

My girlfriends and I are going on the Elation out of NOL in April 2013. In my research I have yet to find a hotel that offers airport to hotel transportation :( I did find that you can expect cab fare from the airport to downtown to cost around $33 for 2 people + $7 each additional person (sounds like it must be a van).

There is also some sort of shuttle service (not sure if they mean a bus?) that is about $20 each, but you have to keep in mind that you will be making stops between here and there so it won't be the quickest or most conveniant method.

Had been told by someone that you could walk to the port from the hotels. However, when I pulled up the google maps with the street view, I can't see how you could possibly do that and from the looks of the area, I sure wouldn't want to be 4 women walking alone with our luggage! That may just be the small town girl in me talking though :-)

Once you get settled in your hotel, it should be easy to get around. From what I saw, they have a streetcar that gets you from place to place and pretty cheap at that. I think I read it was $1.25 per ride or about $5 to come and go as you please for one day. We are going in one day early so we can sightsee, so we plan on using the streetcar ALOT.

Hope that helps!

We are driving down from St. Louis for a cruise at the end of September, and need a clean inexpensive hotel in a safe area. We will not be doing any touring - just need a place to sleep - and prefer the Hilton chain. We are looking at the Hampton Inn in Metairie and the Homewood Suites in Slidell. Are these in a good area?

Depending on traffic, Slidell could be over an hour away. It is really bad weekdays, especially on Fridays.

Hampton Inn in Metaire is a good location. Mall less than 2 minutes away, and lost of good eating places.

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise on the Conquest out of NOLA and stayed at the Springhill Suites on St Joseph St. It was a good location, close to the port and not a far walk to the street car stop at Riverwalk Marketplace. We found a great deal thru last minute travel .com at $71 a night.

On the morning of the cruise we could see the funnel of the ship over the buildings between us and the river. It was a good choice for our family of 5.

We'll be cruising on RCCL Navigator in Dec. and looking to stay one overnight, before parking for a week. I know there are parking/shuttle options from Holiday Inn's in Metarie and Gretna, but is there any place to stay and park closer to the port that would qualify as either cheap or reasonable? Metarie is running $165 plus tax including transportation to the port. Gretna is about $120 plus tax, not including a cab in each direction plus tolls. Who knows what the total will be! Any advice would be welcome! Thanks!

• 1 month later...

The Hampton Inn New Orleans - Covention Center is across the street from the port and offers long term cruise parking at a reduced rate. They also offer a shuttle to and from the cruise. We've book a room there next month for the night prior to our cruise departure and all the revues we've read have been wonderful.

• 2 months later...

I am cruising in June and chose the Hampton Inn on St Charles in the Garden district. The Hampton Inn at the Convention Center was booked for my dates. The Hampton Inn in the Garden District has free parking during my cruise. The street car stops in front of the hotel for a 3.00 pass per day. I will have to use a cab to get to and from the port for between 15-20 dollars for 2 according to cabfarefinder.com for NOLA. You can use this same website to find out the cost of a cab from the airport.

Archived