Pre-cruise trip into NYC, depart Cape Liberty

My DD and I will be sailing out of Cape Liberty, departing on a Sunday, mid-August. The Friday before, we will fly into Newark (cheapest at this time, but transportation into NYC may change things.) We want to spend either Friday afternoon and/or Saturday in NYC. . Sounds like transportation to and from airport/hotels/pier can add up, but am willing to use public transportation. Would really appreciate some help with logistics. Do you have suggestions about where to stay and if it would be better to fly into LGA (if I fly southwest, I don't think it will be a problem to fly into one airport and depart another.) I usually have pretty good luck with priceline, so am willing to go that route for hotel if it is feasible.

Sorry to ask these question when the answer is already posted somewhere on the board, but my mind is mush this morning. After reading through many posts, I can't pull all the information together.

Thanks in advance.

My DD and I will be sailing out of Cape Liberty, departing on a Sunday, mid-August. The Friday before, we will fly into Newark (cheapest at this time, but transportation into NYC may change things.) We want to spend either Friday afternoon and/or Saturday in NYC. . Sounds like transportation to and from airport/hotels/pier can add up, but am willing to use public transportation. Would really appreciate some help with logistics. Do you have suggestions about where to stay and if it would be better to fly into LGA (if I fly southwest, I don't think it will be a problem to fly into one airport and depart another.) I usually have pretty good luck with priceline, so am willing to go that route for hotel if it is feasible.

Sorry to ask these question when the answer is already posted somewhere on the board, but my mind is mush this morning. After reading through many posts, I can't pull all the information together.

Thanks in advance.

We are doing something similiar.

We are flying into LGA tomorrow vis US Airways to spend the night in NYC. We are staying at the W Hotel in Times Square. We will just take a cab from LGA to the hotel. Then on Saturday we have car service to take us from the hotel to Cape Liberty. I read on here that NYC cab drivers are not required to take you to NJ unless to the airport and may charge roundtrip to the Cape Liberty because they can't be sure they will have a return fare. So we booked the car service for only $47. We are then flying home from Newark via Southwest. I would have preferred to fly SW both ways, but US Airways departure time better suited our needs.

We aren't getting to NYC until about 7pm so we intend to stay up most of the night checking out Times Square and going to the top of the Empire State Building!

We are doing something similiar.

We are flying into LGA tomorrow vis US Airways to spend the night in NYC. We are staying at the W Hotel in Times Square. We will just take a cab from LGA to the hotel. Then on Saturday we have car service to take us from the hotel to Cape Liberty. I read on here that NYC cab drivers are not required to take you to NJ unless to the airport and may charge roundtrip to the Cape Liberty because they can't be sure they will have a return fare. So we booked the car service for only $47. We are then flying home from Newark via Southwest. I would have preferred to fly SW both ways, but US Airways departure time better suited our needs.

We aren't getting to NYC until about 7pm so we intend to stay up most of the night checking out Times Square and going to the top of the Empire State Building!

Thanks! Let me know how it works out for you!!!

What are your exact dates? Are you planning on staying in a Manhattan hotel or a NJ hotel? IMO Newark will end up being less expensive for you than LGA.

We will be arriving Friday morning 8/10, departing Cape Liberty on 8/12. I was planning on staying in the most cost effective place. Right now the price is about the same to fly into LGA or EWR, and am about to book EWR if the prices haven't changed. I wasn't sure about where to stay. We've just decided to do this cruise and to add NYC while we are so close.

Ok - no Manhattan hotel. What is your hotel budget? What about managing luggage? Could you roll your luggage onto public transit?

You have to look at the total cost and decide among time, money and stress. Just getting to the port from anywhere will be $50-60 unless you can use the light rail. Getting to NY by train from Newark is $25/pp rt. Bus can be less, but the schedules can be infrequent. Lots of factors and possible hidden expenses. I will look around and come up with some strategies for you.

Ok - no Manhattan hotel. What is your hotel budget? What about managing luggage? Could you roll your luggage onto public transit?

You have to look at the total cost and decide among time, money and stress. Just getting to the port from anywhere will be $50-60 unless you can use the light rail. Getting to NY by train from Newark is $25/pp rt. Bus can be less, but the schedules can be infrequent. Lots of factors and possible hidden expenses. I will look around and come up with some strategies for you.

Thanks!!! Agree about striking the balance between time, money and stress. My DD and I are good with public transportation, so as long as can take a 24" piece of luggage on light rail we can do that. Right now it is $30/pp more for me to fly RT LGA vs EWR, not that big of a difference, but wasn't sure how long it would take to get from pier to LGA for 11:00am flight and thought the hotels in Manhattan would be a lot more. Also, thought transportation to LGA from pier might be more than to EWR. I don't have a hotel budget per se. Would like it to be under $150, but it's relative to the factors you mentioned above. If transportation costs are saved, then hotel can be more.

Again, thanks for your help.

For Cape Liberty book flights to Newark.

Look at Hotwire for 8/10-12 for Jersey City. There is a 4* hotel for $142 that will be the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weekhawken or the Westin or Hyatt in Jersey City. These all are really nice hotels on the river with nice views of the city from the property. It will cost you $50-60 to take a car service to the hotel, but once there you will have easy access to NY by either a quick bus ride to Port Authority or Path to midtown or downtown. You will also have access to the light rail to go to Bayonne the morning of your cruise.

This is both a cost effective and time effective choice. At some point you are going to have to spend $50-60 on a car service. You might as well spend that money to get closer to NY where you have the less expensive public transit at your finger tips.

If you are interested in this option, book it now. Post back and I wil give you details on the light rail. I actually did the light rail from Hoboken to Bayonne with a rolling suitcase and rolling backpack and then called a cab. It was very easy and cost only $2.10 plus $10 for the cab.

For Cape Liberty book flights to Newark.

Look at Hotwire for 8/10-12 for Jersey City. There is a 4* hotel for $142 that will be the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weekhawken or the Westin or Hyatt in Jersey City. These all are really nice hotels on the river with nice views of the city from the property. It will cost you $50-60 to take a car service to the hotel, but once there you will have easy access to NY by either a quick bus ride to Port Authority or Path to midtown or downtown. You will also have access to the light rail to go to Bayonne the morning of your cruise.

This is both a cost effective and time effective choice. At some point you are going to have to spend $50-60 on a car service. You might as well spend that money to get closer to NY where you have the less expensive public transit at your finger tips.

If you are interested in this option, book it now. Post back and I wil give you details on the light rail. I actually did the light rail from Hoboken to Bayonne with a rolling suitcase and rolling backpack and then called a cab. It was very easy and cost only $2.10 plus $10 for the cab.

Am trying for the hotels you mention on Priceline: name-your-own price. Should get the same 4* hotels you mentioned on hotwire, put hopefully a little less. Will get back to you when I have made a match or decided to go for hotwire. Thank you for your help.

There are only four 4* hotels in the Jersey City/Hoboken area and they are all very nice. If you successfully bid, you will be able to work with whatever you get. The NY transportation is so much better from that area and if you can manage your luggage the light rail to Bayonne is really cheap and easy. I've become a confirmed light traveler. I'm just not going to pay airline baggage fees and cab fares just to transport "stuff". If it doesn't fit in a carryon bag, it doesn't go.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks! Let me know how it works out for you!!!

It worked out great! We stayed at the W Hotel in Times Square and it was great. Our car service picked us up at 11am and I believe we were on the ship by 12:30? It was our easiest checkin ever! Let me know if I can answer any questions!

It worked out great! We stayed at the W Hotel in Times Square and it was great. Our car service picked us up at 11am and I believe we were on the ship by 12:30? It was our easiest checkin ever! Let me know if I can answer any questions!

Thanks for getting back to me! I am still working on a hotel...usually have good luck with priceline, but no go so far.

I'm sure I'll have some questions for you as time for the cruise approaches.

Glad it all worked out well for you.

Could you please let me know which car service you used? We are sailing out of Cape Liberty on 21 Sept after spending a few days in Manhattan. Sounds like you had a wonderful experience with the service you used, and we are looking for information on reliable car services.

Thanks!

Could you please let me know which car service you used? We are sailing out of Cape Liberty on 21 Sept after spending a few days in Manhattan. Sounds like you had a wonderful experience with the service you used, and we are looking for information on reliable car services.

Thanks!

It was Carmel Limo and they were great. Our driver got there before 11am and did a great job.

I'm having trouble booking the 4* on priceline and the one on hotwire is gone. (I know, I should have listened to you :o ) Any suggestions? We still want to go into NYC on Friday and Saturday. We are to arrive at EWR at 9:45am. Was wanting to spend about $150 on hotel, but am willing to go up if necessary. It does not have to be 4* I am trying to balance the price of hotel with transportation costs.

Thank you in advance for your help.

OK - so book this hotel. Aa.com - Newark Penn Station Hilton for $116.67. They have an airport shuttle. The NY train is across the street - $5/pp to midtown New York Penn Station or $2/pp via Path to downtown NY. This gives you the possibility of doing a loop - go to midtown, then downtown and back to Newark. You can book a car service to the port or you can take Path to Exchange Place and pick up the light rail there to Bayonne. Post back and I can give you more details.

OK - so book this hotel. Aa.com - Newark Penn Station Hilton for $116.67. They have an airport shuttle. The NY train is across the street - $5/pp to midtown New York Penn Station or $2/pp via Path to downtown NY. This gives you the possibility of doing a loop - go to midtown, then downtown and back to Newark. You can book a car service to the port or you can take Path to Exchange Place and pick up the light rail there to Bayonne. Post back and I can give you more details.

I booked it. It is cancellable 1 day prior to arrival, so should I continue to try priceline for the Hobokan/Jersey City 4* hotels that we had discussed earlier?

Thank you SO MUCH for your help!

You can continue to watch Priceline/Hotwire, but the 4* hotels in Jersey City are rarely below $150. We recommend the Newark Penn Station Hilton all the time for folks who want to sightsee in New York. Even though it's in downtown Newark, it is a 4* hotel located right across the street from Newark Penn Station. The train fare to New York Penn Station is only $5 instead of the $12.50 from Newark Airport Station. Path to World Trade Center in downtown New York is only $2. The hotel has a free airport shuttle. It's the best of all possible worlds for a budget traveler. The rate you got through aa.com is a steal - almost all the airport hotels that you would even want to consider staying in are more expensive. You can take a cab to the port for $50-60 or you can go via Path and the light rail for about $20. It just doesn't get better than that in this area.

I'd focus on deciding how you want to spend your time in NY and the transportation maps of NJTransit, Path and the NY subways and buses.

You can continue to watch Priceline/Hotwire, but the 4* hotels in Jersey City are rarely below $150. We recommend the Newark Penn Station Hilton all the time for folks who want to sightsee in New York. Even though it's in downtown Newark, it is a 4* hotel located right across the street from Newark Penn Station. The train fare to New York Penn Station is only $5 instead of the $12.50 from Newark Airport Station. Path to World Trade Center in downtown New York is only $2. The hotel has a free airport shuttle. It's the best of all possible worlds for a budget traveler. The rate you got through aa.com is a steal - almost all the airport hotels that you would even want to consider staying in are more expensive. You can take a cab to the port for $50-60 or you can go via Path and the light rail for about $20. It just doesn't get better than that in this area.

I'd focus on deciding how you want to spend your time in NY and the transportation maps of NJTransit, Path and the NY subways and buses.

Thanks for the great advice. Will stay at the Hilton Neward Penn Station and spend the next 2 weeks concentrating on NYC.

You mentioned earlier you were paying $47 for the car service. Is that per person? Thanks !!!

• 2 weeks later...

How exactly do I proceed using public transport to get to the pier?

Also, is it safe to take the train or Path at night (if we see a play Sat. night)?

Thanks.

Yes it is safe to take the train or path at night - they will still be very busy after a play. Just take normal precautions as you would in any urban area.

To get to Bayonne from Newark Penn Station you would take Path to Exchange Place ( the last stop in NJ before World Trade). The station has elevator service to the street. If I recall correctly the light rail station is about a half block away. You buy a ticket from the ticket machine and validate it. Take the Bayonne train south to 34th St in Bayonne. It is a level entry onto both Path and the light rail with luggage. When you get to Bayonne call Bayonne Taxi and ask them to pick you up at the light rail station. They will tell you where to wait. If you get there between 10 and 10:30 there are taxis, vans, and town cars still coming to the port and they will swing by to pick you up. The fare should be about $10. If you can roll your luggage this is a very doable trip and should take no more than an hour.

Archived