Cruising with kids, divorced but sole custody?

kwagmyre

I would like to take my kids on a cruise later this year or early next. Not sure of exact ship/itin yet, but will in all likelihood be a closed-loop Caribbean cruise.

Here are the salient points:

1. I do not yet have passports for them. I am going to try to get them.

2. I have sole physical custody. Mom has only supervised visitation. I have court orders/papers attesting to this.

3. Mom and I do not get along. (See item #2).

4. I DO have certified copies of birth certificates for all of the kids. I am 99% sure the BC's have both parents name on them.

So, given item #3, I am not going to be able to get a letter of consent from mom for the kids to travel, but given items #2 and #4, from my research I am not so sure if I need it anyway.

But better to be safe than sorry.

So my question is, if I have both the BC's and custody papers, will I have any issues with boarding or ports with only those items?

Alternatively, if I am able to obtain the passports (from which again, I am sure she will not give consent, so I know I will have to take that up with the State Department), plus BC's and custody papers, will I have any issues with boarding or at ports?

I will also be posing these questions to Carnival, my TA, and my lawyer, and expect to get a different answer from each, lol. I am mainly asking here to see if anyone has been in a similar situation and what was their experience with it.

While obviously I cannot offer you any legal advice, I was in the exact same position taking my (then) 16yo daughter on her 1st cruise. I have sole custody with papers. I also had certified birth certificate with both parents names on it. I, too, obviously could not get father's notorized permission. I was absolutely able to obtain a passport card for her using the bc & custody papers. I took ALL that paperwork with me on the cruise (passport card, certified birth certificate, her drivers license, and the custody papers showing sole custody). [This was on the Inspiration out of Tampa, 2009] They never asked to see custody papers, ever. We showed her DL & passport card...that was it. So it definitely was possible in my case. My advice, were you to ask me, would be definitely get the children at least the passport card; this is just added insurance on your part, and a means of photo identification for the younger kids (my son has had one since he was 9 or 10). Good luck!!

I don't have sole custody of my DD but I've done research when we've traveled together. As long as you have your custody papers showing that you have sole custody of the kids, you should be just fine. Don't rely on what Carnival tells you--when I took DD to Mexico, the Carnival rep I talked with didn't know there was a requirement of the Mexican government that I have a notarized letter from her father since we have joint custody. :rolleyes: What you need to understand are the International Child Abduction laws--there are different requirements for different countries. Again, since you have sole custody, this should be a non-issue for you.

Have a wonderful cruise with your kids!

I would like to take my kids on a cruise later this year or early next. Not sure of exact ship/itin yet, but will in all likelihood be a closed-loop Caribbean cruise.

2. I have sole physical custody. Mom has only supervised visitation. I have court orders/papers attesting to this.

4. I DO have certified copies of birth certificates for all of the kids. I am 99% sure the BC's have both parents name on them.

So, given item #3, I am not going to be able to get a letter of consent from mom for the kids to travel, but given items #2 and #4, from my research I am not so sure if I need it anyway.

So my question is, if I have both the BC's and custody papers, will I have any issues with boarding or ports with only those items?

Alternatively, if I am able to obtain the passports (from which again, I am sure she will not give consent, so I know I will have to take that up with the State Department), plus BC's and custody papers, will I have any issues with boarding or at ports?

I will also be posing these questions to Carnival, my TA, and my lawyer, and expect to get a different answer from each, lol. I am mainly asking here to see if anyone has been in a similar situation and what was their experience with it.

Wife and I are court ordered managing conservators for our grandson, because son was in the Army overseas. We tried for several months to get ex DIL to sign permission to get passport and permission to travel outside the US to no avail. We applied for the passport, and submitted BC, court documents and put on the application that son was out of the Army and traveling with us but we were unable to get ex DIL's signature. Passport request was rejected. After a long and arduos effort we finally got her paperwork signed and notarized. Still waiting for passport office.

I don't have sole custody of my DD but I've done research when we've traveled together. As long as you have your custody papers showing that you have sole custody of the kids, you should be just fine. Don't rely on what Carnival tells you--when I took DD to Mexico, the Carnival rep I talked with didn't know there was a requirement of the Mexican government that I have a notarized letter from her father since we have joint custody. :rolleyes: What you need to understand are the International Child Abduction laws--there are different requirements for different countries. Again, since you have sole custody, this should be a non-issue for you.

Have a wonderful cruise with your kids!

the Passport office doesn't see it that way. Everything changed about 3 years ago. It may depend on which passport clerk you get when you submit your papers.

While obviously I cannot offer you any legal advice, I was in the exact same position taking my (then) 16yo daughter on her 1st cruise. I have sole custody with papers. I also had certified birth certificate with both parents names on it. I, too, obviously could not get father's notorized permission. I was absolutely able to obtain a passport card for her using the bc & custody papers. I took ALL that paperwork with me on the cruise (passport card, certified birth certificate, her drivers license, and the custody papers showing sole custody). [This was on the Inspiration out of Tampa, 2009] They never asked to see custody papers, ever. We showed her DL & passport card...that was it. So it definitely was possible in my case. My advice, were you to ask me, would be definitely get the children at least the passport card; this is just added insurance on your part, and a means of photo identification for the younger kids (my son has had one since he was 9 or 10). Good luck!!

One of the things I discovered in my research is that the older the child the fewer the questions. On our last cruise, DD and I drove from Skagway into the Yukon. I was unable to get a letter from her father for that one (we were in the middle of the divorce and he wasn't feeling too kindly at that time. LOL), but I learned from the Canadian Consulate before we left that since she was 16, I wouldn't encounter any issues bringing her into the country as long as she had her passport with her for return to the U.S. That was the case. Canada requires a letter for children under the age of 16.

When I took her to Mexico, she was 15 and I was never asked for the letter. But, if I had been asked for it, I was prepared. Better safe than sorry. :D

Sometimes (this is based on research on these boards...) Mexico will ask to see notarized letter from absent parent. I took my (then 17) year old daughter on a cruise in 2011 and Cozumel was one of the ports. I am married to her father but he did not go on the cruise. I prepared a letter for him to sign and had it notarized. When we got off in Cozumel for the day, NOBODY asked to see this letter. Have only heard/read about this with Mexico.

I cruised with my girls in 2010 also (Cozumel was NOT on that trip) and did not have any letter from my husband authorizing me to have kids out of the country. Didn't have any problems (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Key West).

Kudos to you for taking your kids on a great trip!!! Shame on your ex for being difficult and not putting her kids first!!

Hope you are able to work all out and have a great time!

My friend got a letter of consent from her ex husband, which was a huge ordeal to get. We traveled out of Galveston in December last year. She asked them if they needed to see the letter and they said no. As long as she is the parent and they have to right travel documententation. She showed their birth certificates and all was fine.

She actually heard on cruise critic message boards to get the letter and didnt even need it.

this isnt for custody but thought i would tell you that we took a cruise out of Galveston on carnival with my daugther and her best friend who was 17 at the time, we had a notorized letter from her parents, but They never once asked for it. She checked in with her passport and that's all she had to show.

Just tossing this out there since it is a case that says you need a letter.

good luck and ENJOY your cruise!!:D

My friend got a letter of consent from her ex husband, which was a huge ordeal to get. We traveled out of Galveston in December last year. She asked them if they needed to see the letter and they said no. As long as she is the parent and they have to right travel documententation. She showed their birth certificates and all was fine.

She actually heard on cruise critic message boards to get the letter and didnt even need it.

It's not a requirement of the cruise line--it's a requirement of the Mexican government as part of International Child Abduction laws. I've taken my DD to Cabo, PV, and Mazatlan and wasn't asked for the letter at any of those ports, but had the Mexican authorities chosen to check, she would not have been allowed off the ship without it.

It's just like a woman who's married name is different from her name on her BC. She should bring her marriage certificate with her. Will she be asked for it? Not likely. But, it does happen. It happened to me and I had it with me. I asked what would have happened if I hadn't brought it--I would have been denied boarding. Better safe than sorry... :D

It's just like a woman who's married name is different from her name on her BC. She should bring her marriage certificate with her. Will she be asked for it? Not likely. But, it does happen. It happened to me and I had it with me. I asked what would have happened if I hadn't brought it--I would have been denied boarding. Better safe than sorry... :D

From this, can I infer that you were not using a passport, but rather a BC with other photo ID?

From this, can I infer that you were not using a passport, but rather a BC with other photo ID?

Correct. At that time I hadn't been married long and my passport was also in my maiden name. I just pointed it out because you see people advise others pretty consistently here on CC that they don't need to bring their marriage certificate because "they never ask for it." There are those of us who can say from experience that sometimes they do. :p

My husband was in this exact position last year when we cruised Disney. We were able to get a passport by providing a copy of the court papers stating that he has sole custody. We brought a copy of the court documentation with us to the port but never needed it. We're cruising CCL Magic next January and will do the same thing, bring the passport and the court papers but I doubt we will need the papers.

I have sole custody and was able to get a passport for my son just by showing my divorce papers proving it. I take them on our cruises just in case, but I've never been questioned. I have my maiden name and DS has my ex's last name which should make it more obvious, but never a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Don't want to hijack the thread but a question comes to mind. What if one of the parents is deceased? Do you need a death certificate?

Yes. I have been asked for the father's death certificate a number of times going through passport control. No matter how many people post that they weren't asked, I would never take a chance not having the documentation I need. I do think the OP is right that a) he will get a different answer from everyone and b) with documents showing full custody, he should be fine. But is there a way for the judge to specifically allow travel outside the country to avoid any possibility of hassle?

Best,

Mia

this isnt for custody but thought i would tell you that we took a cruise out of Galveston on carnival with my daugther and her best friend who was 17 at the time, we had a notorized letter from her parents, but They never once asked for it. She checked in with her passport and that's all she had to show.

Just tossing this out there since it is a case that says you need a letter.

good luck and ENJOY your cruise!!:D

We sailed with our 17 YO nephew last week and we were asked by the check-in agent for the letter - and she made it very clear to me that if we hadn't had the letter, he would not have sailed.

I have done this several different ways over the years.

It was my understanding when I took my kids on a cruise to Mexico that the must show proof rule only applied for stays in the country that exceeded 24 hrs,; therefore, this "absolutely must show" did not apply to a cruise. Things may have changed but that it what it was.

That said.....according to my lawyer back when this was an issue for me....it did NOT make a difference whether we had Passport or BC for the kids. A passport did not prove in any way that I was allowed to travel on that particular trip and time out of the country with my children......additionally, since I went back to my maiden name the BC was better because this had my children's name and then listed both my married name AND maiden name as the mother which at least identified me as the "birther"/mother :rolleyes:

I, too, had sole custody and my lawyer suggested that I travel with the short form document which stated this.

On one cruise I was able to get a notarized letter from my ex. Other times I did not and carried the court documents with me.

In all my travels I was never asked to show any proof that I could travel with my children but I was still glad I had it.....I do have friends who have been questioned.

Don't want to hijack the thread but a question comes to mind. What if one of the parents is deceased? Do you need a death certificate?

My ex is now deceased and the last time I traveled with my kids out of the country I carried his death certificate with me instead of the sole custody papers.

I was able to get a passport for my son w/o the fathers consent by telling the clerk the father was unwilling to cooperate. We already had RT plane tickets and needed to expedite so it wasn't an issue.

I've traveled with my son via air and cruise many times w/o a certified letter but he does have a passport.

I would suggest you get them a passport and bring your other documentation just in case.

I will have to say I have cruised with my kids twice in the last two years. My husband does not go with us and I have never taken a letter. We have only been on Eastern Caribbean. If I go on a western I will probably obtain one. The other thing I have not done is use passports. I have only taken their birth certificates and I have never had a problem. I have a cousin who went with us on the last cruise and has issues with her sons father. She just used his birth certificate also and never took anything from the father. So I will have to say go have fun with your kids. I know a lot of people get passports in case of an emergency and one day we will get them. But I just wanted to let you know that you have the option of going with just birth certificates if you are going on a closed loop cruise starting and ending in the same port in the western hemisphere.

Archived