IRL Joanie ---

Joanie --- your wonderful info about the cabins on the HAL ships is EXCELLANT !!!

Another concern: DH will be using a scooter on the Westerdam this Oct. He wants to take his Golden which is pretty heavy. Do you have photos of folks disembarking the ship riding them ?? Is there a certain deck we go to ?? Can the larger scooters be put on the tenders ??? We may have a Tzora Elite Easy Travel scooter ( just purchased yesterday in transit to our home) which is portable/foldable weighing about 60 # (but comes apart into 2 sections) which I hope he will like and would be alot easier for us to deal with as well as taking taxis/buses and tenders.

He is able to walk some distance but can't stand for very long.

Thank you !!!!

Joanie --- your wonderful info about the cabins on the HAL ships is EXCELLANT !!!

Another concern: DH will be using a scooter on the Westerdam this Oct. He wants to take his Golden which is pretty heavy. Do you have photos of folks disembarking the ship riding them ?? Is there a certain deck we go to ?? Can the larger scooters be put on the tenders ??? We may have a Tzora Elite Easy Travel scooter ( just purchased yesterday in transit to our home) which is portable/foldable weighing about 60 # (but comes apart into 2 sections) which I hope he will like and would be alot easier for us to deal with as well as taking taxis/buses and tenders.

Thank you !!!!

Not Joanie, but what model Golden does he have? My DH cruised with a Golden LiteRider which is their "medium" scooter. We just disembarked at the same deck as all the other passengers - the crew was wonderful on assisting with the embarking and disembarking. In regards to tendering - we just went with his crutches for that, so can't answer for that

Thank you !!!!

Sorry I did not answer right away. Hubby came home to take me shopping for a new food prep table.

Let me look through my photos from our last few cruises. I know I have at least one photo of my best friend Vicki with her Beriatric Scooter.

She used it to go everywhere on and off the ship:) The only trouble she had was when she and I both tried to go through a doorway side by side in them:)

I'll post back in a few, I hope.

Joanie

The scooters that I rent are the standard sized, approximately 125 lbs. It holds up to 250 lbs. I can better show than try to explain if I provide a link for you and your hubby:)

Mine is the 1st one on the left. Overall dimensions 38.8" x 21-22" x 36"

The Bariatric Scooter that Vicki rented is the one on the far right. Overall dimensions 51" x 27" x 34"

(WILL NOT FIT THROUGH A "STANDARD" CABIN DOOR)

HOWEVER, Vicki had an SA almost across from the Neptune Lounge and I had an SC deck 6 and her scooter fit through all of the doors into our staterooms, she and I both used the same ramp/gangway as all the people walking (usually Main Deck) and getting onto and off of tenders was only a matter of standing for a few seconds with assistance whilt the crew lifted the scooters onto and off of the Tenders.

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/scooter-rentals/

Hope this helps. I tried hard to find photos of Vicki but cannot find them at the moment:(

Joanie

Wow !!! the Bariatric scooter can be loaded on the tenders ------- impressive !!!

We are flying into San Diego a couple of days early --- hotel offers free shuttle from airport to hotel to pier --- any idea how this is done ??? Can the hotel vans accommodate large scooters ???

Take your time about the photos --- we have a few months before departure.

Wow !!! the Bariatric scooter can be loaded on the tenders ------- impressive !!!

We are flying into San Diego a couple of days early --- hotel offers free shuttle from airport to hotel to pier --- any idea how this is done ??? Can the hotel vans accommodate large scooters ???

Take your time about the photos --- we have a few months before departure.

You need to contact the Hotel and ask if they have Wheel Chair HC Lift equipped vans. Many do not, but others do. What we've done is to go to the Taxi stand, which is almost a mile (at least that is what it felt like to us) over a walkway/skyway down an elevator, and then about a block to the right and you will see all the taxis lined up. Hubby is behind me right now saying it was a looooooooooooooonnng walk!!! Anyway there are taxis that are lift equipped and it cost us about $20.00 which included the tip.

Our hotel was directly across from the port so the next day when we went to go to the ship I just rode my scooter to the ship. It is a busy road at times, but it is easy for a scooter driver/user if they are experienced enough to stare into a car drivers' eyes (LOLOL) seriously, we walked, I scootered, across the street to Anthony's for dinner the night we arrived and as I said across the street to the port the next morning with no problems:)

Still looking for the photos. I may have to call Vicki to see if she has some.....

Joanie

I called Vicki today and asked her if she had any photos of her on the Bariatric scooter and she sent me 2 with a note to post for you:)

I just sent you an "e"-mail - 2 pictures of me on my scooter rental. Tell your friend that I am VERY FLUFFY and had to rent a heavy duty scooter. I am 5'5" tall because I have really shrunk almost 3 inches in height!

Me-and-my-Lexus.jpg.758ff23dae656537e78cb2cfbbc7eb6c.jpg

Hope these help reassure your hubby:)

Joanie

Inside-Canada-Place.jpg.8a0df73a6f126819ae62f47b71600891.jpg

Sherrie,

I hope that the new scoot works out great and completely puts your fears to bed! We're too close to our cruise to be doing any but wishing time went faster!

Joanie,

What are you doing in those pics there? You're supposed to have that stood up on its back wheels like a cowgirl on a horse that is rearing up! You even have your had up like a cowgirl in the 1st pic!

Derek

Sherrie,

I hope that the new scoot works out great and completely puts your fears to bed! We're too close to our cruise to be doing any but wishing time went faster!

Joanie,

What are you doing in those pics there? You're supposed to have that stood up on its back wheels like a cowgirl on a horse that is rearing up! You even have your had up like a cowgirl in the 1st pic!

Derek

Derek that is not me in the photos!!:) That is my Best Friend and fellow Cruise Critic Member, Vicki (aka on CC as BUTTERFLY GIRL) Her hubby took the photos of Vicki in Canada Place as they were waiting to board the Zuiderdam:)

Hubby and I were already aboard as we had just done the week prior and were getting ready for our second week.

Joanie

Derek,

Here is a photo of me on my scooter the first week of our cruise on Zuiderdam in September 2011. The young man with me is our favorite HAL Assistant Dining Room Manager, Imam, formerly known to everyone who cruises HAL as Hunky Dory from the Lido Restaurant:)

sm-HD-Imam-Sept-2011-2.jpg.0674c2775e11edabb8f7c1fe2ad20eea.jpg

Joanie

Joanie,

I didn't think that was you in the first set of pics, but I've been told every time I think I weaken the nation! ;)

Butterfly girl gotta STAND that bad boy up, ala a cowgirl in her next pic.

You too!

Something like:

220px-Knabstrupper_Baron.jpg

That would be the pic that HAL puts on their Xmas car for years!

You need not wear that outift.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Joanie: Could you send me the photos of you on the tender lifts, please --- can't seem to find them anymore.

I've never been on rthe 'Tender lifts". What I've done isd top go down to the exit area of the ship, report to security and they put me in a separate elevator that goes down to B deck and that is the place where they board me onto the tenders (for those ships that do have this sort of thing).

Here are a couple views from the Oosterdam The doorway that the crew member is standing in is where the elevator comes out to.

Oosterdam_Tender-Copper10-8-2010.jpg.4b49f2e929b727865904136ec035c7b3.jpg

Oosterdam_Tender-2-Copper10-8-2010.jpg.8792c3c19c6b98dea9558a3ce4cf86fd.jpg

http://abqreunion2008.com/Oosterdam/Oosterdam_Tender-Copper10-8-2010.jpg

http://abqreunion2008.com/Oosterdam/Oosterdam_Tender-2-Copper10-8-2010.jpg

This is the way it was on All 4 of the Vista ships, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam and on the Nieuw Amsterdam for me. I would take the elevator down to B deck and then roll right out to the tender area there and then would get off the scooter so the young crew members could physically lift the scooter onto the Tender adn they'd support me as i waited and then helped me to board the tender, where I generally sat on the scooter for the entire tender ride to and from the ship.

Hope this helps??

Joanie

Joanie

Thank you Joanie. We are booked on the Oosterdam (Nov 2012) and H travels with a small scooter, which he can get off to get onto a tender and we are used to using backstairs lifts rather than wheelchair lifts. Good to know that this will be possible. Thank you for your stateroom info and photo pages - they did help us choose. Colleen

Archived