LIVE From the Sea Princess to Alaska

mikjr

Thanks for reporting. I'm on this cruise on July 22. I think I will freeze though. I'll be wearing lots of layers as I don't have parkas and cold weather gear living in Florida.

Just a quick question, as I am so enjoying your onboard reports on your present trip!

Are any cruisers using the hot tubs in the daytime and then wrapping up in their robes?

Just wanted to know if I should pack a swimsuit....brrrrrrrrrrrrr.......or not?

We spend our time in Ft. Myers and Memphis, always hot, and we are looking forward to being COOL, but not freezing!!

(Hi, Mary. Recognize you from the Roll Call for July 22...see you there next week!!

Joyce

Hi, Mike: Are you using the ship's wireless for fee, or are you able to get 3g or 4g data on your iPad?

Well.... It's Sunday, We've made our first port, Juneau... Two hours late, but here. We were sceduled to arrive at 1pm, but got here at 3. Capt Street said the currents and winds held us back a bit, and therefore the late arrival. Some scheduled excursions had to be cancelled. Obviously a few unhappy people. Not sure why they schedule a late arrival like that to an important port as Juneau. We had been here before so it was no big deal for us. Because we arrived in port late in the day, we had to tender in. More about that in a couple sentences.

I can't believe the number of overpriced JEWELRY STORES! Looks like the number has doubled since we were here in 2007. One of the local owners said most of the jewelry stores are out of towners that come in for the cruise ship season and then split for the winter. she didn't sound too enthused about them being there.

One issue that occurred today... Being late, many were already upset. Then to get tender tickets, the line went from the dining room, out through the foyer, and down the hall... And I mean DOWN the hall. Hundreds of people in line all at once! It was a zoo! I've never experienced anything like that for tender tickets. I must admit, the line moved fairly fast, but once we got the tickets, we had to wait until our number was called. About a half hour wait in the dining room with several hundred people! But during the wait an incident happened that probably shouldn't have...

I guess it all started when one of the PAX started getting mad at one of the girls giving out the tender tickets. He wasnt the only one, there were a couple of others. BUT... the assistant cruise director (John I think) got on the microphone and reamed out the whole crowd for the incident! He went on and on and on, yelling that it wasn't right to speak to HIS people like that... All at the top of his lungs! Way over the top and very uncalled for. He should have said politely... Please do not get mad at the help, and see him for any problems... That's it... If he had issues with the MAD PAX, he should have taken it out of the room! One guy on the tender boat was saying he should have been fired on the spot for his outburst! If nothing else, he needs to be spoken with.

Other than that... No other MAJOR drama... just a couple of small issues I've noticed or heard about. One girl was saying today she called room service last night to order food... And the person on the other side told her NO! She called back, and this time they hung up on her! So they called the front desk... And they called room service... They finally got their food. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd want to eat anything they delivered to my door after something like that!

Another issue I've noticed... And not the first time on Princess, but at lunch time the tables will sit without being cleaned off. People are standing with food in their hands waiting for someone to clean off the table. I had the same problem, so I just bussed my own table and took the dirty dishes to the guy standing there!

In reality... Most service has been great so far. And the food had been excellent.

Tonight we at at the ITALIAN / PIZZA restaurant, The Corniche. It was great. We had caesar salads, split a pizza and then had lasagna and rotello with spinach and ricotta. All great! I'm a bit disappointed they won't let you take a pizza to go, or you can't order by the slice. I really miss the pizzaria out be the pool deck!

Tomorrow, Monday... Cruising Glacier Bay. Never been there so we are looking forward to it....

Someone asked about MUTS movies.... So far, Man on a Ledge; The Artist; a couple of concerts...

That's it for tonight... Reporting live from my IPad on the Sea Princess...

Just a quick question, as I am so enjoying your onboard reports on your present trip!

Are any cruisers using the hot tubs in the daytime and then wrapping up in their robes?

Just wanted to know if I should pack a swimsuit....brrrrrrrrrrrrr.......or not?

We spend our time in Ft. Myers and Memphis, always hot, and we are looking forward to being COOL, but not freezing!!

Joyce

there have been a few using the pool and hot tubs... Especially in ports. We've had some nice sun breaking through. 70 in Haines, and although cloudy in Ketchikan, it is about 65 and there are a few in the pool!

Hi, Mike: Are you using the ship's wireless for fee, or are you able to get 3g or 4g data on your iPad?

In Juneau and Ketchikan, I'm using 3G... Haines had Edge only and it was SLOW! The other times I have been using the ship's WiFi. Since we are Platinum, we do get some free minutes. The ship's WiFi has actually been pretty fast.

We docked in Ketchikan this morning around 10:30 and were off shortly after. We did not book excursions so we just walked around the town and hit the 100s of overpriced jewelry and trinket stores. On one block alone there must have been ten Tanzanite shops! They stand outside the shops... Begging you to come in. I felt like i was in the marketplace of Mexico! But, I did happen to find a nice little gold nugget earring for my ear.

We were trying to find a nice fish place to eat halibut. I found that the locals don't even know whats in town! I asked the bus driver where a certain fish house was... He said he never heard of it... And that he doesn't at fish at restaurants, but at home! We finally looked up the address of the restaurant on Google maps and began walking there. Had a bit of a problem finding it, so I called them... Only to find out they were OUT OF BUSINESS! The moral of the story.... CALL before you walk and don't rely on local info!

Food was great last night in the MDR. For the second night in a row I had the Fettucini Alfredo with chicken.. And extra sauce. Make sure you ask for the extra sauce or it's a bit dry. The Parmesan bowl it a great touch! And... I have really enjoyed the SORBET! I always order a regular dessert, but ask for a dish of the day's sorbet also. Our wait staff have been very attentive and very nice guys!

We did buy one coffee card, but also brought some Starbuck's Via with us. So, between that, the Lattes and the hot tea, we have the beverages covered. One thing that I especially appreciate is the addition of LEMONADE to the fountain in the Hroizon Court. All of the ships we've been have ice tea, and you can ask for a glass of lemonade. But the Sea Princess dispenses it right at the self serve fountain... Very nice for those of us that enjoy our Arnold Palmers!

A very nice show in the Princess Theater last night. The harmonica guy played a few tunes and then a comedian / impressionist did his thing. Both very good, and entertaining. There has been a variety of good entertainment in the lounges around the ship.

A couple of side notes...

The captain announced at the welcome campaigne waterfall, that of the appx. 2100 PAXs on board, 1950 were from the USA! Very few Europeans. Also about 260 children on board. Since we usually cruise during school months, this is the most kids we've seen in a while. Most are very well behaved and having a great time!

It seems most are adhering to the new smoking policy which we really appreciate!

That's all for now...

We pulled in toVictoria BC this morning.. We had a tour scheduled for Butchart Gardens so we were off by 8am.

The Gardens were breathtaking... And the tea was outstanding! I was shocked when our server brought over a three tier tower ams said it was form my wife and I to share! It was great and very filling! Worth every penny.

We are getting ready to leave and head back to San Francisco, and will dock Sunday morning!

I will write a complete review shortly after...

Mike, thanks very much for your Live From. Sound like you had pretty good weather.. We do hope it holds for our two weeks up there. We will be flying up to Vancouver on Sunday, boarding the Coral on Sunday. Thanks for all your tips and thoughts. Have a good trip home.

We docked in Ketchikan this morning around

Also about 260 children on board. Since we usually cruise during school months, this is the most kids we've seen in a while. Most are very well behaved and having a great time!

That's all for now...

It always amazes me that despite the number of children, I don't usually see or hear them, except for dinner at the MDR. Makes me believe that there is hope for this generation for having manners and respecting others. And that their parents have raised them well.

Thank you so much for your "Live From" review. We get on the ship when you get off on Sunday. Sounds like you've had a great cruise! You've given us a number of really important helpful hints which will definitely enhance our cruise (e.g. - we will be bringing Starbuck's VIA with us; can't start the day without a great cup of coffee!).

Thanks for taking the time to give us the play-by-play. It has been so helpful as we prepare for our cruise. :-)

Bev

Archived