Copying ship formal photos??

Alain -

First my personal disclaimer:

I am not an attorney nor do I play one on the internet. Any resemblance between me and an attorney is purely co-incidental. Besides, if an attorney looked like me he would be automatically in contempt of court. Close cover before striking. Offer void in WI, DE, MA and a bunch of other places.

As I interpret the law:

1. Yes, it is.
  2. Yes, you are.
  3. Yes, again.
  4. Probably true of 99% of posted pics.

Having said that, we are back to the basic fact that there is little if any need/desire to prosecute people who make copies of cruise photos for personal use. I would hazard to guess that the law is definately needed to protect the individual studio that does weddings, senior pics, etc.

JMHO,

Charlie

3. I post my scanned pictures on the web for others to see... But then, everyone can download a picture and use it at will... Again, am I breaking the copyright law ? If you look at many sites that display users pictures (like Webshots or Sony Image Station), you will see a lot of pictures that were taken by ships photographers and other professionnals....

I agree with Charlie's comments. I would only add that in the above case, those that download the photo are also in copyright violation.

Also, if I go to your site and download a photo you've taken, I'm in copyright violation, unless I have your permission.

Yes, all sites, including Cruise Critic, should probably be a bit more careful about allowing photography to be posted.

I have a high qaulity scanner from hewlitt packard, and a great printer,,, i buy one and scan the other for xmas cards and such,,,, my pics come out just as good as the ships

Is it possible to purchase shipboard photos after your cruise? I guess that the photos were taken in digital format and are saved for a certain period. I am wondering if it is possible to get / look at photos 'post cruise'.

Last year while disembarking the Golden Princess, we noticed staff removing all the photos taken during the cruise into a dumpster! Oh the waste....

Anyway, looked like we would not be able to contact the cruise line for more pictures post cruise:confused:

Last year while disembarking the Golden Princess, we noticed staff removing all the photos taken during the cruise into a dumpster! Oh the waste....

Anyway, looked like we would not be able to contact the cruise line for more pictures post cruise:confused:

On the Grand a couple of months ago, the magician performing said he had gifts for the volunteers. When he was done with them, he gave them portraits of people from the prior week's cruise...... pretty funny!

How about this. On our recent cruise we purchased a CD with all of the stock pictures for the Coral Princess Alaska itinerary. Now, I am assuming that I am free to make prints of these pictures since I own the CD. If not, then why would they sell them? Or why should I buy one?

Personally, I have scanned cruise pictures and used them in slide shows, etc., but I don't scan them and give them to everyone or make Christmas cards from them.

The copyright laws include something called "fair use". Making a digital copy of a photograph that you have purchased for "back-up" purposes definitely is "fair use" and requires no permission from the copyright owner. After that the concept gets a little murky. However, if you do not distribute the copy widely, and you do not profit from that distribution, you probably are safe under the "fair use" doctrine. Posting a scan of a photograph for your friends and family to see most likely constitutes fair use, unless the owner of the image specifically prohibits such use. (A copyright is meaningless unless the owner of the copyright is willing to assert his or her rights.)

Hello to all! I work in a photo shop and you must have a release form to copy any professional picture. It does not have to have a mark on the back. You can contact the cruise line and 99% of the time they will give you a release form via mail, email or fax. This has always been a tough subject but think about it-- if you were a photographer and people tried to copy your work you are losing out on alot of money.

The way I look at it is this; I paid for the pictures and they are of me, and I didn't sign any release forms saying the cruise lines were allowed to take my picture. As far as I'm concerned I own the photo(s). If the cruise lines want to play dirty I'll see them in court. No I'm not an attorney. :rolleyes:

But you pay good money for those photos. I do what other posters have said. Scan them into Photoshop - alter in some way - use in my scrapbooks etc. However, I have never used them ona Christmas card or for mass publication - personally I think the cruiselines have better thinkgs to do than look for photos on some website.

My photos scan just fine. But I have a very good scanner and I scan right into photoshop and adjust with that software. Quality of a scanner is similar to the quality of a digital camera - they are not all the same. Also you can set the dpi if you scan manually.

Also, why are you scanning digital photos? Don't you just download them.

I finally got around to reading this thread. This is an area where I am VERY familiar. The photograph does NOT have to be marked to be copyrighted. I know this first hand since I have taken 3 different people to court on the matter....and won.

Yes, it is illegal "to make a copy for yourself" - unless you have a written release from the photographer.

Yes, it is illegal to use images on a CD (copyrighted) unless you have a written release or it is marked on the CD "for personal use only"....and they do mean PERSONAL use.

Personally, I think the crusielines would make more money if they sold all your photos on a CD for $10. No wasted paper from all the people who do not buy the prints.

I have a question--it has to do with old photo, though. My parents got married 45 yrs. ago and wanted to make copies of their professionally taken wedding photos for us kids to have. We have no clue if the photogragher is even still alive and the business is long gone.

How do you handle something like this? Should there be a problem making copies?

Thanks,

To my knowledge, you can't. If not sure if

1) They're missing a great opportunity to make more $$$.

2) People would use it as an excuse, not feeling as pressured to buy photos the last day of the cruise, and they'd make less $$$.

I suspect #2 is true.

Not to mention, trying to locate your photo or negative.:o

I have a question--it has to do with old photo, though. My parents got married 45 yrs. ago and wanted to make copies of their professionally taken wedding photos for us kids to have. We have no clue if the photogragher is even still alive and the business is long gone.

How do you handle something like this? Should there be a problem making copies?

Thanks,

I believe in Canada that we can get copies of professional photos without copyright consent after 7 years.

Archived