Copying ship formal photos??

Is there any problem in copying photos purchased onboard ships? I remember hearing a reference made, but don't remember the specifics. DW would like to get copies of the DS from formal night that we purchased, but is worried about repercussions..

Anyone know the rules?? :o

Basically, you are not allowed to reproduce any professional photo that is less than 75 (I think) years old without a copyright release form. I have seen where some have been able to contact the cruise lines after their cruise and get a release but haven't really tried it.

Having said that, there is probably a photo shop near you where you can walk in and use their automatic equipment.

Charlie

If there is no copyright mark on the photograph either on the front or on the back. You can get it copied. The copyright laws only pertain to the photograph if the copyrigt symbol is on the photograph somewhere. I'm looking at my formal ones the ship did and there is no copyright symbol anywhere.

If there is no copyright mark on the photograph either on the front or on the back. You can get it copied.

You should research things like this before posting them. Though the copyright mark is a good idea, it is NOT required.

"Until 1989, a published work had to contain a valid copyright notice to receive protection under the copyright laws. But this requirement is no longer in force -- works first published after March 1, 1989 need not include a copyright notice to gain protection under the law." - Nolo Press web site

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/ObjectID/481F4C85-6B92-44DC-9B0914A9E9658A64/catID/2EB060FE-5A4B-4D81-883B0E540CC4CB1E/310/276/136/FAQ/#B224912A-3762-411E-80181C51AFF7F057

From the US Copyright Office web site...

"Notice was required under the 1976 Copyright Act. This requirement was eliminated when the United States adhered to the Berne Convention, effective March 1, 1989."

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#noc

One my personal photo galleries, I've started to put this notice:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/

Real simple, Scan the pictures as I do and you have them in the digital format. At this point your as legal as anything.

You paid for the pictures and there was no disclaimer for you to sign that restricted your use. At this point you are free to copy and give away all that you wish. You must be notified at the time of sale if there are any restrictions in the way you use the photos.

If you were a comerical buyer and did the same thing there could be some legal issues MAYBE. Besides who would want to buy personal photos of any of us.

If you find someone that wants to buy mine on e-bay I will split with you.

Real simple, Scan the pictures as I do and you have them in the digital format. At this point your as legal as anything.

....maybe about as legal as driving 70 in a 55 zone.

Copyright law makes no distinctions between how the work is used. What you do it up to you, but you are breaking the law*. You're right if you're saying that nobody is going to punish you. I personnally break the law by driving too fast sometimes.

However, as a person who loves loves photography, treasures my photos, and respects the work of others, I personally have chosen not to break photographic copyright law.

* http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#what

....maybe about as legal as driving 70 in a 55 zone.

That's a great analogy.

It is illegal, period. Chances of it being a legal problem for someone who does copy a shipboard photo are very, very slim.

Question: Has anyone asked about a release while on the ship? It would seem to be the best time to do it. Pay for the one and make copies when you get home.

I know that the photo studio would like to sell you the copies at 10 or more bucks a pop. But, giving the release could encourage people to buy singles of more shots and increase their revenue also.

Charlie

Makes sense. Hope someone has tried. This thread will be long forgetton by my next chance to ask. :-)

Since you'd loose quality with scanning, to me, the only benefit to copying would be to put it on the web for friends to see. I can't see a reason they wouldn't allow it, though they might have some unnessarily restrictive overall policy (like that with corporations, isn't it?). I can understand they're not wanting to share the original digital file without you paying a lot more $$$.

Frank

I'm not a photo-dude so I'm not sure. Do they use only digital on the ships now?

Twice in the past year (on different ships) we have looked for our photos and not found them. We were told on both occasions that the "film had been ruined".

One time they indicated that it was a new photographer and he had problems with one roll. That was on a formal night and there were a bunch of photos on display, not ours.

The other time it was blamed on a problem in the lab.

Quite truthfully, I don't look at the equipment and if I did I wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway. I just smile, say cheese (or queso if we are in Mexico) and hope that the camera doesn't break :D

Charlie

Do they use only digital on the ships now?

I need to go on more cruises to know the answer :D On my NCL and Princess cruises they were using digital. On the Grand, last month, it was digital, along with good photographers using top quality equipment. They really did nice work. I've heard somewhere that Holland America is still non-digital. That would be an interesting thread to start.

I chatted with a couple of the photographers on the Grand. I noticed they always review what they've taken; each time looking closely at the LCD. A diffinite advantage of digital. Of course, things can still go wrong, but it not that likely.

So since we encountered two "lost photos" it could be that my face is the contributing factor?

I would post my picture but then I could be liable for damage to your monitor :D

(Thanks for the info, really)

Charlie - Who shouldn't be staying up this late

Is it possible to purchase shipboard photos after your cruise? I guess that the photos were taken in digital format and are saved for a certain period. I am wondering if it is possible to get / look at photos 'post cruise'.

To my knowledge, you can't. If not sure if

1) They're missing a great opportunity to make more $$$.

2) People would use it as an excuse, not feeling as pressured to buy photos the last day of the cruise, and they'd make less $$$.

I suspect #2 is true.

yeah, I think legally you are NOT suppose to copy these pics. However, I have a friend that works at a place that can copy these pics, and she does it for me. Soooo if you can find a friend like that, you will be ok!!!

Is it a problem that I scanned my pictures just for backup purposes? It's a lot easier to open a file than breaking out the photo album.

If I am reading the copyright laws correctly, yes, you are breaking the law. But, it is back to the same thing as going 70 in a 55. (Except that scanning for the purpose of saving and not further reproducing may be more like going 60 in the 55 zone.)

Charlie

That would be an interesting question though. The reason we can copy CDs, etc. is to "make a backup", right? If you scanned the photo, only as a backup method, you might okay. :confused:
If I understand the copyright concept, any reproduction of an original work is covered.

Section 9 of the Berne Convention: "Authors of literary and artistic works protected by this Convention shall have the exclusive right of authorizing the reproduction of these works, in any manner or form." (Emphasis added by me.)

Why would you have a backup? In case the original was lost. At which point you would make a new one. Which would definately be an infringement of the copyright.

Again, more like going 60 in a 55. And, making the digital backup only, might be more like doing 56 in a 55. Illegal but who cares.

Charlie

reproduction of these works, in any manner or form." (Emphasis added by me.)

Good point, Charlie. It's just interesting that we can copy CDs and DVDs for backup purposes and can't copy pictures. I agree with what the law states and your interpretation, but there are parallels between CDs and photos.

Good point, Charlie. It's just interesting that we can copy CDs and DVDs for backup purposes and can't copy pictures. I agree with what the law states and your interpretation, but there are parallels between CDs and photos.
I actually thought that it was technically illegal to make any copies of CDs and DVDs for any purpose.

Charlie

I find this thread very interesting... I have read all the posts and while reading them, some questions poped in my head...

1. On our last cruise, I saw someone taking a picture of his own picture in the photo display... At first I found it funny to do that, but then, I tought it was steeling ! What do you think ?

2. I personnaly scan my pictures while returning home because I want to use them in my video-souvenir montage... I insert them between some video shots so it can enhance the subject... Am I breaking the copyright law ?

3. I post my scanned pictures on the web for others to see... But then, everyone can download a picture and use it at will... Again, am I breaking the copyright law ? If you look at many sites that display users pictures (like Webshots or Sony Image Station), you will see a lot of pictures that were taken by ships photographers and other professionnals...

4. Just for the fun of it, I have inserted a picture of my DW and I. This is obviously a picture that was took on our last cruise by a ships photographer. I am sure everyone is saying "what a great looking couple ! I will download this picture and make many copies of it !". :D Am I breaking the copyright law by posting it here ? If the answer is yes, then I think everyone should delete every pictures they have on web sites !

I think this subject is a delicate one and it is difficult to find a definitive answer to all questions...

Alain R.

Cruise2005-6.jpg.97708217a11223186629fa0b7c7f2329.jpg

I have actually tried to scan photos taken by the ships photographer when i got home. (which i purchased for anywhere from $10-$20. my initial thought was obvious. If i could scan the picture. keep one in the photo album and one in the frame, i could save some money by doing it myself. herein lies the problem: after doing this with various pictures and never being able to duplicate the picture exactly as the original (there seems to be some discoloration in the faces and other parts of the people in them. Particularly skin areas) i have also scanned photos that I took with my digital camera. this worked out fine. my question is, why is there a difference????? do the photographers on the princess ships use some special kind of photo paper or some developing technique to cause this discoloration?? has anyone else experienced this problem???

Archived