Back From The Epic

Keith.W

Thanks so much for thenreview. Can you tell me more about Girona? Is it worth spending time in? We have 5 days pre- cruise and 2 post cruise. Post cruise is definitely in Barcelona but we were thing of 2 nts in Girona or one of the costa brava beach towns instead of all 5 pre- cruise in Barcelona. Pictures and opinions welcome.

We have stayed in Salou, Costa Durada. Its about an hour and half by train from Barcelona (no changes). Its €9 each way i think. Beautiful long wide beach with the added benefit of Portaventura theme park . Never did any sightseeing there but great relaxing time on beach or park.

There are lots of towns along the coast with a good train service.

In Barcelona we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. Look up the Friends and Family codes. Have stayed there before for 3 nights, and will do again in August. €83 per night with breakfast, short walk to the metro and beach.

Posh is the way to go,

Its never crowded unlike the main pool were your packed like sardines,

Padded loungers , Padded day beds, Clam shells a round bed with canopys

Misters to cool ya down

A bar

Food from the epic club, only usually for suite guests this is the lunch menu.

The sail away party, this happens when new people board the ship not sure about other ports rome and france but it happened in Barcelona.

Its a private party for suite guests. Champaign, cocktails canapés and introductions to higher up staff ie head of spa etc.

You get the passes from guests services, board as soon as ya can and go straight to the guest service desk. Think they have a limit on the passes.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much.:o

It just occurred to me, I'm not going to be cheap on this cruise.

I'm going to get the POSH pass and the Spa pass and enjoy myself.

I'm getting so excited. Can't wait.:p

We are actually taking an overnight train from Paris which stops in Girona & Figueres so that is why I was considering exiting in Girona, renting a car & seeing a few beaches, Dali museum & doing an overnight in that area. Montserrat with a night at the castle in Cardona is another option. If we do that, we'd probably just do a day trip to a beach.

Posh is the way to go,

Its never crowded unlike the main pool were your packed like sardines,

Padded loungers , Padded day beds, Clam shells a round bed with canopys

Misters to cool ya down

A bar

Food from the epic club, only usually for suite guests this is the lunch menu.

The sail away party, this happens when new people board the ship not sure about other ports rome and france but it happened in Barcelona.

Its a private party for suite guests. Champaign, cocktails canapés and introductions to higher up staff ie head of spa etc.

You get the passes from guests services, board as soon as ya can and go straight to the guest service desk. Think they have a limit on the passes.

Hope this helps

Hi Keith,

Enjoyed your review. It brought back great memories about Epic - I've been on twice for a total of a month. Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise.

We also enjoyed POSH and they do have only a limited number of passes.

But they must have changed the policy some regarding the champagne sailaway in POSH that is for suite guests on embarkation day. Those who purchased weekly passes were not included.

Service was excellent up there and the crew certainly was friendly to everyone, suite guests and pass holders alike.:)

Nice review! Thanks for sharing your experiences!:)

No problem

Keith, can I ask what you thought of the alcohol prices?

How did you find the prices on beer / wine by glass etc...

As we're both Irish it might be easier to compare to prices back home

Thanks

EMma

Hi Emma, Drinks prices were in comparison to what you would pay at home if not slightly cheaper, Cant tell you what the prices were for wine by the glass but i know the cheapest bottle of wine was about 32 dollars a bottle but for some reason a glass of wine price of 7 dollars comes to my brain. This is because you pay gratuity on drinks orders as well as tax. 15% gratuity and 8% Tax.

Beer they done buckets a bottles , buy 5 get one free but a bottle of corona was 4.95 but with tax and gratuity it came to 6.09

Mixed drinks like vodka and coke , was about 5.25

Cocktails,5-8 dollors

Mineral Water, 1 litre around 4.50 with tax and gratuity 5.25

Hope this helps, as i said you can sneak spirits etc in your hand luggage in Barcelona port, If you bring wine, you can pay a corkage fee 15 dollars per bottle before you board , this you can bring to your meals.

Another option if you have a bottle a wine, they will carry it around the ship for you if you go to different bars etc.

Hi Keith' date='

Enjoyed your review. It brought back great memories about Epic - I've been on twice for a total of a month. Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise.

We also enjoyed POSH and they do have only a limited number of passes.

But they must have changed the policy some regarding the champagne sailaway in POSH that is for suite guests on embarkation day. Those who purchased weekly passes were not included.

Service was excellent up there and the crew certainly was friendly to everyone, suite guests and pass holders alike.:)[/quote']

We love the epic and it was our first cruise so we had nothing to compare, we got talking to a person who done 11 and said this one was his best.

Yeah posh was great, maby the staff were a bit off as we were at the sail away but we were told we could enjoy it and our cards worked think its hit and miss when it comes to sail away.

After day 1 the staff were great, especially heide, extra towels, buckets of ice for our water, snacks etc.

Wish i was there now.

Hoping to get back in 2014

Hi Keith. Can you comment on the spirits in hand luggage at Barcelona port? Is this if you buy them at the duty free after security? Or are you saying they don't check hand luggage for alcohol at all? I would love to bring a bottle of bailey's with me and am newly excited thinking maybe I can!

As far as I know they had no problem through security with drink i brought soda and nothing was questioned, but after security there was duty free and we purchased it there and just put it in hand luggage no questions asked.

Archived