Back From The Epic

Keith.W

We got back a week ago after our first cruise and now looking at 2014. , we spent 3 nights in Barcelona before the cruise which was good and 2 nights after it. The ship was amazing, we could not fault it in anyway. We did have rough seas on the first night which was an experience we wont forget but after that it was all good.

Before we booked we tryed to get a 2 bed family villa in the heaven but they were sold out so in the end we got a mini suite and studio.

Could not fault the rooms or the location.

We done blue man and legends both were great, only cover charge place we ate was at the Italian twice and both nights were good. Taste, Manhattan, O sheehans, Posh as well as room service all were of high standards.

We purchased the posh passes for the week and it was money well spent at 59 dollars each.

We done none of the ship tours and went on our own with the only dear shared trip was in room at 80 euro each which was money well spent.

Looking at doing the same cruise July/Aug 2014, when do dates be out

Glad you enjoyed your trip:)

Thank you

glad you enjoyed your trip - Glad to see you got your Posh passes. It's beautiful up there, isn't it?

Not sure when 2014 prices come out - you'll have to keep checking their website.

eah it was great up there, although the first day or 2 the staff were a bit edgy with us as they could not understand that as non suite guests we could purchase it and they made us feel that we should have not been there. After a few strong words with a staff member they become great friends even when one of the servers would look after is in epic live.

Posh is the way to go, never crowded, padded loungers and a bar as well as the lunch menu from epic club

Will do, im sorry i did not purchase cruise rewards

Thanks for sharing :)

No problem

Will you be posting here about your ports or shall I go over to the ports boards ?

We sail the Epic in 28 days.....and counting!!! ;)

I will do in this but will be tomorrow before i get around to it

Thanks for posting and glad you enjoyed the Epic - we're going on her in January so I'm always hoping other cruisers come back with good reviews LOL :D

I notice a lot of posts asking about the studio cabins. Were they good and would you book one again?

:eek:

Thanks for posting and glad you enjoyed the Epic - we're going on her in January so I'm always hoping other cruisers come back with good reviews LOL :D

I notice a lot of posts asking about the studio cabins. Were they good and would you book one again?

TOOK EPIC JAN/12 BACK TO BACK IN STUDIOS NO PROBLEMS,ONLY SMALL PLACE TOO HANG WET CLOTHS, ON GEM THEY HAVE PULL-OUT STRING TO USE FOR WET CLOTHS, WOULD I BK AGAIN OF COURSE

We got back a week ago after our first cruise and now looking at 2014. , we spent 3 nights in Barcelona before the cruise which was good and 2 nights after it. The ship was amazing, we could not fault it in anyway. We did have rough seas on the first night which was an experience we wont forget but after that it was all good.

Before we booked we tryed to get a 2 bed family villa in the heaven but they were sold out so in the end we got a mini suite and studio.

Could not fault the rooms or the location.

We done blue man and legends both were great, only cover charge place we ate was at the Italian twice and both nights were good. Taste, Manhattan, O sheehans, Posh as well as room service all were of high standards.

We purchased the posh passes for the week and it was money well spent at 59 dollars each.

We done none of the ship tours and went on our own with the only dear shared trip was in room at 80 euro each which was money well spent.

Looking at doing the same cruise July/Aug 2014, when do dates be out

hi Keith, we did the same thing, came back at the end of June. 2 bedroom villa was great,you should try it. My husband and I are also interested in 2014 summer sailings. I called NCL and was told "it comes out between 18 to 20 months before the sailing."

No worries.......I'll look forward to reading! :)

Port of Naples- We decided that we did not want to do pompei so decided that we would like to see sorrento and before we left we had learned that beside the port of Naples there was water taxis that you could get. This included Capri, sorrento and other islands. When you come out of the port go left across the car park or just follow the crowds. We took the half ten water taxi tp sorrento but had learned that one left at 9am too which would have been better. It cost us 12.10 each way we left sorrento after doing some shopping and stopped to have the famous gelato. We left sorrento around 2pm again and it was a nice way to spend the day.

Port CIVITAVECCHIA (ROME), Here we joined a shareashore excursion which gave us the best of Rome trip, we were in a group of 8 and cost 80euro each it was a long day but got to see all the sites and learn an awful lot of history. Spanish Steps, St Peters square, the Vatican, Trevi fountain etc. Highly recomend this tour. Best 80 euro spent

Port LIVORNO (FLORENCE/PISA), ITALY, We had decided to take the train to pisa this day but we were tired after the long day we had in rome, for 5 euro each ncl had buses laid out to take people to the station, the town of livorno and to the mall. We went to the town of livorno and spent a couple of hours shopping before returning to the ship.

Port Cannes, here the ship dose not dock in port so you have to go in tenders (Ship Life Boats) to the port which can be booked on the ship . We took the tourist train around the city for 10 euro each which lasted around an hour which showed us all the sites, after the tour we took a stroll around the town took some pictures , spend some time at the beach before returning to the ship.

Provence, Nothing appealed to us here and the ship was returning to barcelona after this so we were leaving early, from our room we could see some stalls so got off the ship looked at the stalls purchased a few presents took some nice pictures of the ship and went back aboard.

Hope this helps

Ugh. How rough was the first night? I thought, seas-wise, this was a pretty calm itinerary . Please tell more.

Well it was our first cruise, so not sure how rough it can be usally but you could feel the ship moving quite a bit, when walking etc. Hangers shook and you could feel it even in bed. It kept my mother up all night with worry as i was in a different cabin and she kept thinking of the worst. I got about 4hrs sleep. it happened untill about 6-7 that morning from about 5 the eve of sailing/ But the next day everything was good the sun was out, very warm and the sea was calm from then on.

I stayed in 11516 right by the studio lounge, location was convienet, but some noise could be heard from the corridor at busy times. Also it was interconnecting so at times you could hear your neighbour nothing major but if you have a loud neighbour it could be a problem. Studio was great, quite spacious for a room of its size , shower great and the access to the lounge with snacks and a coffee machine with all sorts of coffee which they charge for down stairs as well as snacks in the fridge and a bar between 5-7. Studio is great value and would be happy in one again

hi Keith, we did the same thing, came back at the end of June. 2 bedroom villa was great,you should try it. My husband and I are also interested in 2014 summer sailings. I called NCL and was told "it comes out between 18 to 20 months before the sailing."

Thanks Thats the plan for our next trip, 2 bed villa for the space and we as a family can be together, thats good to know i hope the ship will be in the Med again for 2014. Was just about to e-mail my cruise consultant to ask.

Port of Naples- We decided that we did not want to do pompei so decided that we would like to see sorrento and before we left we had learned that beside the port of Naples there was water taxis that you could get. This included Capri, sorrento and other islands. When you come out of the port go left across the car park or just follow the crowds. We took the half ten water taxi tp sorrento but had learned that one left at 9am too which would have been better. It cost us 12.10 each way we left sorrento after doing some shopping and stopped to have the famous gelato. We left sorrento around 2pm again and it was a nice way to spend the day.

Port CIVITAVECCHIA (ROME), Here we joined a shareashore excursion which gave us the best of Rome trip, we were in a group of 8 and cost 80euro each it was a long day but got to see all the sites and learn an awful lot of history. Spanish Steps, St Peters square, the Vatican, Trevi fountain etc. Highly recomend this tour. Best 80 euro spent

Port LIVORNO (FLORENCE/PISA), ITALY, We had decided to take the train to pisa this day but we were tired after the long day we had in rome, for 5 euro each ncl had buses laid out to take people to the station, the town of livorno and to the mall. We went to the town of livorno and spent a couple of hours shopping before returning to the ship.

Port Cannes, here the ship dose not dock in port so you have to go in tenders (Ship Life Boats) to the port which can be booked on the ship . We took the tourist train around the city for 10 euro each which lasted around an hour which showed us all the sites, after the tour we took a stroll around the town took some pictures , spend some time at the beach before returning to the ship.

Provence, Nothing appealed to us here and the ship was returning to barcelona after this so we were leaving early, from our room we could see some stalls so got off the ship looked at the stalls purchased a few presents took some nice pictures of the ship and went back aboard.

Hope this helps

Yes that helps a lot......thank-you!! :)

I am enjoying reading everyone's different points of view about the Epic and her ports of call and can't wait to find out for myself in.......ooooo.....let me see.........27 days!!!! :)

You think I'm excited, don't you? ;)

Thanks for your review.

I have a question about the POSH passes. How did they know you were not suite guests? What stood you out from other guests? Do you have a card to swipe in or show? Where a bracelet?

Also, do POSH close at a certain time? I'm asking because we have full day tours booked for 4 of our ports. The only time I would proabably go up to POSH is on the 1st sea day and the day in Marseille. (Plan to go over, buy some gifts and come back and enjoy the last day on the ship.)

Basically, I'm wondering is the $59 worth it. I also want to buy a spa pass. It would be nice to come back from a full day of touring and rejuvenate myself in the spa. I'm thinking maybe I should pay on a day to day basis rather than purchasing something I might not get full use of.:confused:

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance:D

Keith - Would you mind telling me more about your Rome excursion? Do you recall the name of the company? Was it something we could book in advance? That excursion sounds much cheaper than the ones offered by NCL.

Thanks for any help!

Keith - Would you mind telling me more about your Rome excursion? Do you recall the name of the company? Was it something we could book in advance? That excursion sounds much cheaper than the ones offered by NCL.

Thanks for any help!

I know a lot of people use Rome in Limo and speak very highly of it. It gets cheaper as you add more people to your tour (up to 8 I think). I am looking to use them on our cruise next May. You will find a lot of info on the Rome thread in the Ports of Call section.

Keith, would also like to know what you did in Barcelona and where you stayed.

We are sailing in sept and plan three nights in Barcelona, then fly back to Dublin.

I'm in two minds on the Posh passes.

Can't wait. First cruise too.

Thanks for your review.

I have a question about the POSH passes. How did they know you were not suite guests? What stood you out from other guests? Do you have a card to swipe in or show? Where a bracelet?

Also, do POSH close at a certain time? I'm asking because we have full day tours booked for 4 of our ports. The only time I would proabably go up to POSH is on the 1st sea day and the day in Marseille. (Plan to go over, buy some gifts and come back and enjoy the last day on the ship.)

Basically, I'm wondering is the $59 worth it. I also want to buy a spa pass. It would be nice to come back from a full day of touring and rejuvenate myself in the spa. I'm thinking maybe I should pay on a day to day basis rather than purchasing something I might not get full use of.:confused:

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance:D

No problem, are room key did swipe to allow us access to posh, but we could not take the heaven lift from the pool deck but the other one, then went inside and inserted or key in the door.

We had bands but never wore them as they were an ugly brown but had them incase they requested them.

Suite guests have a silver key, that was the main reason we stood out, but after day one the staff got to know us as we had a few strong words them, just like is this going to happen each day etc. From then on we were treated very well, even better than suite guests been welcomed, called by name, ice buckets to chill our water, fresh towels etc.

First day sail away party, champaign, cocktails and canapés all free :)

You can get lunch up there served to your lounger.

Also have misters spraying so nice and cool

We used posh everyday as we usually finished our tours around 3 or 4 so got the value out of it.

To us it was worth it, we did not need to worry about getting a lounger, been packed like sardines on the pool deck, padded comfy loungers, day beds, clam shells and peace and quite.

Thanks for any help!

it was share a shore excursion in italy google it and you will fined it

Keith, would also like to know what you did in Barcelona and where you stayed.

We are sailing in sept and plan three nights in Barcelona, then fly back to Dublin.

I'm in two minds on the Posh passes.

Can't wait. First cruise too.

We just chilled in Barcelona as we had done the sites before, just went into las rambalas, went to the port area, spent time near the beach etc, One place in las rambalas with nice food is sinatra, just off las ramblas and down a side street beside burger king and the irish bars. we flew into girona outside Barcelona, and spent one night there and suppose to be 2 on our return, We then got the train to sants station and the hotel torrecatalunya beside the station. We paid an extra 12 euro per night and upgraded to a collection room higher floor better room , robes slippers etc. they do a special on the breakfast too if you book it for every night of your stay 12 euro each which is not bad value and the view is amazing its on the 23rd floor with a 360 view of Barcelona, the night we arrived we loved it so much we decided to cancel our stay in girona and spend another two nights in it. Paid the 24 to upgrade and got an attic room, bigger room again with a couch and loads of windows and view of the magic fountains. The spa is a way cheaper than the ship and my mother had a treatment which was very good.

The hotel has an indoor pool 6euro but is a thermal pool and has saunas, steam rooms jets etc free with a spa treatment or the sister roof top pool which is free next door.

If back in barcelona, we will return to this hotel.

It was only 3-5 metro stops to las rambalas, same with other areas nou camp etc. Buy a t10 ticket, 10 journeys for 9.25.

The bell hop is very informative with advice using the metro, you can also get the train from the station to the airport what our relations done as they took the late flight home that Sunday night.

Hope this helps

Do posh you wont be dissapointed, if doing it go straight to guests service on the ship to book it.

We are now hooked on cruising after the epic, we are looking at puting down a deposit on 2014

Thanks so much for thenreview. Can you tell me more about Girona? Is it worth spending time in? We have 5 days pre- cruise and 2 post cruise. Post cruise is definitely in Barcelona but we were thing of 2 nts in Girona or one of the costa brava beach towns instead of all 5 pre- cruise in Barcelona. Pictures and opinions welcome.

Well it was our first cruise, so not sure how rough it can be usally but you could feel the ship moving quite a bit, when walking etc. Hangers shook and you could feel it even in bed. It kept my mother up all night with worry as i was in a different cabin and she kept thinking of the worst. I got about 4hrs sleep. it happened untill about 6-7 that morning from about 5 the eve of sailing/ But the next day everything was good the sun was out, very warm and the sea was calm from then on.

I sailed on Epic out of BCN last September and the first night was horrendous for the ship swaying, so bad I nearly rang the desk to ask if they could check the fittings in our cabin as I was sure the walls were coming away from the ceiling and the whole cabin was "creaking". I have read on other posts about this too so it must be a common thing on that stretch of water. Next day everyone looked worn out from lack of sleep

Thanks so much for thenreview. Can you tell me more about Girona? Is it worth spending time in? We have 5 days pre- cruise and 2 post cruise. Post cruise is definitely in Barcelona but we were thing of 2 nts in Girona or one of the costa brava beach towns instead of all 5 pre- cruise in Barcelona. Pictures and opinions welcome.

Girona is a lovely medival town with a cathedral, cobble streets etc., nice little village pm your e-mail and i can send pics of girona.

I sailed on Epic out of BCN last September and the first night was horrendous for the ship swaying, so bad I nearly rang the desk to ask if they could check the fittings in our cabin as I was sure the walls were coming away from the ceiling and the whole cabin was "creaking". I have read on other posts about this too so it must be a common thing on that stretch of water. Next day everyone looked worn out from lack of sleep

So it must be a regular thing, yeah it was strange esp as i was in a studio which was very creaky and my parents in a mini suite. We were not sure what to expect but defiantly you could feel it. Thats good to know as we are thinking the same cruise in 2014

Posh is the way to go,

Its never crowded unlike the main pool were your packed like sardines,

Padded loungers , Padded day beds, Clam shells a round bed with canopys

Misters to cool ya down

A bar

Food from the epic club, only usually for suite guests this is the lunch menu.

The sail away party, this happens when new people board the ship not sure about other ports rome and france but it happened in Barcelona.

Its a private party for suite guests. Champaign, cocktails canapés and introductions to higher up staff ie head of spa etc.

You get the passes from guests services, board as soon as ya can and go straight to the guest service desk. Think they have a limit on the passes.

Hope this helps

Posh is the way to go,

Its never crowded unlike the main pool were your packed like sardines,

Padded loungers , Padded day beds, Clam shells a round bed with canopys

Misters to cool ya down

A bar

Food from the epic club, only usually for suite guests this is the lunch menu.

The sail away party, this happens when new people board the ship not sure about other ports rome and france but it happened in Barcelona.

Its a private party for suite guests. Champaign, cocktails canapés and introductions to higher up staff ie head of spa etc.

You get the passes from guests services, board as soon as ya can and go straight to the guest service desk. Think they have a limit on the passes.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much, you've been a big help!! :) I'll be sure to make guest services my first stop!!!

Archived