Norwegian Star Chef's Table (A Pictorial Review)

DGP1111

No "chocolate love" martini? :D

Mike: I tried to recreate that, and wasn't overly successful. I think it will remain something unique to that particular bartender . . . whom I hope to meet again on a future NCL sailing. :)

Edited by DGP1111

It was until later that I actually went by a table (up on the pool deck, where they were continue to advertise and sign passengers up) and checked what was awaiting me and the other lucky diners..

:( . . :( . . :( Ugh!!

Well now . . . numerous posts later I'm going to try that one again.

It wasn't until later that I actually went by a table (up on the Pool Deck where they continued to advertise and sign up passengers) and checked out what was awaiting me and the other lucky diners.

Sheesh!! :o

Don, thank you very much for the complete account of the chefs dinner and I'm sure it will be helpful for anyone that wishes to try it or in my case stay clear of it.

You did a fabulous job on this thread. And maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but seriously it would want to have that many courses for the portion sizes that are served. I really can never get what people see in "fine dining". I'm figuring anyone that eats like this must be the size of twiggy.

The presentation is beautiful if you like "art" but I'd have to take DH for an actual meal when we were finished or he'd starve. I'm not an overly big eater but I think I would also come away hungry.

Maybe I'm alone in this feeling, but am appreciative of you taking the time to post this. And glad you enjoyed it.

Don, the wait was worth it! Thanks for the lovely and funny (as usual) pictorial of the Chef's table. I may have to sign up for one myself.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that the special bartender will be on the Breakaway:D

Don, is the Chef's Table dinner done on every ship? We will be on the Dawn in 2013 and this sounds like something I would like to do. I took a quick look at NCL.com but couldn't find a link for chef's table.

Don, is the Chef's Table dinner done on every ship? We will be on the Dawn in 2013 and this sounds like something I would like to do. I took a quick look at NCL.com but couldn't find a link for chef's table.

I definitely don't know this as fact, but the way I was told . . . it was to be rolled out on all NCL ships. I'd call and ask if you are considering it. And don't forget to check at the port during embarkation. You might find the opportunity right there as I did.

I'm still surprised I noticed the table. I just wanted to get on the ship and put that embarkation day experience behind me. I was also still trying to figure out how the elderly couple in front of me at check-in was not even booked on Norwegian Star. They'd made it past the front door, security, and were so confused the entire time in the queue (and later I understood why). They were to be on a different ship and cruiseline. Heaven only knows how they got their luggage back. :eek:

che5904-Although the portion sizes look very small the thing is they are very rich and it fills you up faster than you think. They are using quality ingredients like butter and cream. Plus veal is a very rich meat that fill you up fast. If you tried it I think you would be surprised how full you would be before you even hit the fish dish. I used to think the way you do then we had a small plate wine bar open up and it is amazing how fast you get stuffed.

che5904-Although the portion sizes look very small the thing is they are very rich and it fills you up faster than you think. They are using quality ingredients like butter and cream. Plus veal is a very rich meat that fill you up fast. If you tried it I think you would be surprised how full you would be before you even hit the fish dish. I used to think the way you do then we had a small plate wine bar open up and it is amazing how fast you get stuffed.

Thank you for that information. It's not I haven't done the "fine dining" thing when I had to, but I think there were more items served here than what I have done in the past. I'm thinking, if my memory serves me correctly the most that has been set in front of us were 6 maybe 7 counting dessert.

I chose to partake in the Chef's Table on the Sky in April.....and after seeing your pictures, I'm running (not walking) to the Concierge on the Jewel in September to sign-up again!!:eek: The diet will go to you-know-where in a hand-basket, but that food was so fantastic! Oh, and as for allergies, I am allergic to bananas/plantains so I didn't think I'd get the bass. They made the bass for me without the plantain crust and I had the dome for dessert....and let me tell you...that dome was wonderful!:cool:

Thanks for posting the pictures....brought back some great memories!

Thank you for your review!! I do have a couple questions(forgive me if they sound ignorant-I am unfamiliar with this type of dining).

First off, while this sound like an excellent experience, I probably would never go myself since I am a strict vegetarian. However, BF loves to cook, loves upscale dining(though we rarely get a chance to do it) and watches cooking shows all the time.

We will be celebrating 7 years together a few weeks before our November cruise and I think this would be a wonderful present for him. Reading the menu, he would love the meal and experience.

And since it isn't very romantic to just send him off on his own, I would attend as well. I know there are accomondations for allergies and it would be great if a vegetarian option would be available(I would of course ask ahead of time).

The meal would mainly be for the BF. However, if not, to feel like I would get my moneysworth/stomach filled:

1. Are you allowed more than one portion? For instance, if I couldn't have the main meal-could I get more of the goat cheese tarts?

2. Did you feel like wine amounts were enough? Could you request more? If I couldn't get my my moneysworth with food-more wine would make me happy. :)

3. I'm assuming the coffee drinks were included too correct? I saw them on the menu but didn't see them in your review.

We will also be doing Le Bistro to celebrate too, but this would be my special gift to him. I just wouldn't want to look like I wasn't enjoying every meal but passing on the meat items!

1. Are you allowed more than one portion? For instance, if I couldn't have the main meal-could I get more of the goat cheese tarts?

2. Did you feel like wine amounts were enough? Could you request more? If I couldn't get my my moneysworth with food-more wine would make me happy. :)

3. I'm assuming the coffee drinks were included too correct? I saw them on the menu but didn't see them in your review.

Congrats on your upcoming 7 years!! :)

I wish I had quality answers to all your questions, but I don't.

I know the chef mentioned he was willing to do any substitution possible, but in our group there was (surprisingly) no one who had an allergy to advise about. The "vegetarian in the steakhouse" topic has occasionally come up for discussion on the Carnival boards. Perhaps they would be willing to double up on one item while skipping another. Never know unless you ask. I personally don't think they'd bring a future dish out early as a substitution, since it's all about the presentation of each item.

Regarding the wine . . . no one was wanting for more. There was a staff member who had a current wine bottle in his hands at all times, and the moment you got close to completion, he was there for a refill. Twice I had to eventually say, "Thanks, but no thanks". I wanted to remember this delicious experience. :p

I chose just plain coffee at the conclusion, but the others listed (with additives) were definitely available, and were already included in the cost of your meal.

Edited by DGP1111

Don, thanks so much for the pictures and information on the Chef's Table. We participated in a similar experience on Oasis of the Seas and it was a highlight of our dining experience on the Oasis. This is definitely something we will consider for our next cruise. I am glad you enjoyed it so much.

I chose to partake in the Chef's Table on the Sky in April .....

That's where my next one will take place. Looks like it will occur on Halloween night. :)

Perhaps if I take my bag and shout, "Trick Or Treat", they'll throw in an extra Short Crust Tartlet. :D

Congrats on your upcoming 7 years!! :)

I wish I had quality answers to all your questions, but I don't.

I know the chef mentioned he was willing to do any substitution possible, but in our group there was (surprisingly) no one who had an allergy to advise about. The "vegetarian in the steakhouse" topic has occasionally come up for discussion on the Carnival boards. Perhaps they would be willing to double up on one item while skipping another. Never know unless you ask. I personally don't think they'd bring a future dish out early as a substitution, since it's all about the presentation of each item.

Regarding the wine . . . no one was wanting for more. There was a staff member who had a current wine bottle in his hands at all times, and the moment you got close to completion, he was there for a refill. Twice I had to eventually say, "Thanks, but no thanks". I wanted to remember this delicious experience. :p

I chose just plain coffee at the conclusion, but the others listed (with additives) were definitely available, and were already included in the cost of your meal.

Thanks Don!!

Just the answer to the wine questions lets me know I will be okay LOL but yes..I would want to remember the experience! I will still probably ask ahead of time if I can get anything else. I agree with you on not wanting other courses brought out ahead of time..wouldn't want to ruin everyone else's suprise!

I'm going to include the price for both of us in my cruise budget..if for some reason it is full(though hopefully I have your experience!) then we will do something else.

Is the menu the same fleet wide or does it change? I wasn't sure if it pertains to just the chef on that ship or not.

Don, Thank you for the fabulous review and those delicious photos!! NCL should comp you for the chefs table on your next cruise, as you gave them dozens of new chefs table patrons just from this thread!!

We will be looking in to this option on our next cruise! YUM!

~Michele:cool:

Don - thanks for the great review and pictures!

Did you (or others) leave a gratuity for this meal (NOT trying to open any cans of worms here regarding gratuity, DSC, etc!)? We often will leave $5 (per couple) in a specialty restaurant when we go.

Hi Don! Wowsa wowsa wowsa! I have heard lots of good things about the chef's dinner...but for the first time got to to SEE all the good things about the chef's dinner! Thank you for posting the pics along with your thoughts. I never really considered this dining option but will probably try it on a future sailing.

Coka

Dome

Yougurt Mousse / Lychee Raspberry Creme / Hazel Sablee / Lime Vanilla Reduction

Chocolate Log

Spiced Dark Rum Infused Banana / Cocoa Mousse

Chefs-Table-31-L.jpg

Chefs-Table-33-L.jpg

Chefs-Table-32-L.jpg

I got the Dome, but was able to taste the other as well. We all sampled from our neighbors. :)

With a possible few exceptions, I think the strongest Thumbs Up went to the Dome. Yep, it was deeelicious.

Coffee was served, and we were advised that as we exited, to stop at Gatsby's for a complimentary cocktail. Anything we wanted. That was unexpected.

Bartender asked me to choose my poison, and I commented that I'd just completed a superb meal that had been totally chosen for me, and it had been an exceptional experience. I asked him to do the same - - make something that was chosen for me. He grinned big, and said, "Great, I'll make you one of my favorites", and off he went.

It was Grand Marnier, a light cream, and something else (I forgot/didn't care) . . . and it was the perfect end to a perfect experience.

Already looking forward to the next one. :D

Thanks, all, for taking the time to check out what I've posted. Greatly appreciated. :)

Wow. Loving your review. I did Chef's table last year on Carnival Paradise. Looking so forward to it on my 3/20 Sun cruise.

One question, please. Did the cocktail taste "dreamsickle-like"? That is a flavor I adore. Was the vanilla cream whilped at all? Trying to make a recipe. Thanks.