Review: Epic Western Med July 8 2012 with photos and details

Jolimont

Great review. We will be on the epic next month and can't wait to read more.

Can you confirm if lobsters were served on Sunday (Barcelona night)? Just want to make sure that We don't prebook any specialty restaurant on lobsters night :)

We ate at Moderno's on Sunday and missed the lobster so I think you are correct. We didn't know we were missing the lobster or we may have gone to Moderno's on a different night, oh well!

I too was on this cruise. Unlike Jolimont, I am a regular NCL cruiser although this was my first on the Epic. After five cruises on the NCL Jade and NCL Sun I was really looking forward to seeing what the big ship was like.

The highlights for me where the entertainment and the food, both of which were superior my previous cruises on the Sun and the Jade. The Garden Cafe in particular represents a serious improvment over the older ships. Restaurant staff where excellent and for some reason the restaurants never seemed all that busy.

Major lowlight was the swimming pools. These were actually smaller than those on the smaller ships and regularly jam packed with kids. No way you could complete a serious swim in there.

The ship also felt crowded. Lifts and the pool area where oftertimes bunged, especially on sea days. Depite this however the ship felt much less socialable that previous ships. There just seemed to be less opportunity to meet and chat with fellow guests.

Our balcony cabin was just ok. It isnt any smaller than any previous cabin we have been in, but they seemed to have sacrificed substance for style. My wife and I seemed to get in each others way more than usual. The drawer unit and shelving areas are not as conveniently located as on the older ships. I can understand why folks don't like the new bathroom design, however I can't say that it bothered me all that much.

Overall I'm glad that I tried the Epic once and I really enjoyed the cruise. However, I wouldnt be rushing back. As good as the entertainment was, I wouldnt really want to see it again. I think I would prefer a return to the smaller ships which aren't quite as crowded.

Major lowlight was the swimming pools. These were actually smaller than those on the smaller ships and regularly jam packed with kids. No way you could complete a serious swim in there.

The ship also felt crowded. Lifts and the pool area where oftertimes bunged, especially on sea days. Depite this however the ship felt much less socialable that previous ships. There just seemed to be less opportunity to meet and chat with fellow guests.

Thank you for piping in drb. I was going to talk about the pools later, but you've inspired me to do it now. :D

I've seen fancier pool decks too, not that this one is bad, but it's not as elegant or spacious as others. I didn't even try to get near the pool with all the kids because, as you said, it was packed, and we traveled kid-free on this one.

7596610368_89305f35b5.jpg

I used the pool at Spice H2O a couple of times, it didn't do much for me, but it's a good place to read and tan, IF you can find a spot. On the one sea day there were several people looking for a lounger I saw a man get up, put on his clothes, take his book, LEAVE his towel on the lounger and walk off. He didn't come back for the 2 hours I was there on a chair since all the loungers were "taken". Honestly I should have said something to him when I caught him doing that, but I was too nice I guess.

7596588608_a978cba8e8.jpg

I think the toddlers have a pretty large area all to themselves and they seemed to enjoy that (I took the photo before the kiddos showed up, but this area was often crowded too).

7596583346_12fdd4b381.jpg

I loved the slides, my favorite was the green one. The wait for the Epic Plunge was long and the ride not as good in my expert opinion.

7596579452_3d14564d8d.jpg

Remember how I said earlier that I didn't like the stink on the jogging track? Just to make up for it let me say that I, I should really say we, LOVED the gym on the Epic! It is big, lots of good machines, it does not stink, there is usually room for everyone even on the busy sea day, and it is just outstanding. Hubby went every day, I didn't do as well, but as far as cruise ship gyms are concerned this one is the best I ever saw.

7576794704_eb5eb4bb60.jpg

We just showed up at Moderno on night 1 and it was not busy at all, we went right in. NCL gives out coupons for a free bottle of wine on their Facebook page in order to entice cruisers to patronize specialty restaurants on the first night because they're all wide open. We took advantage of that, but it means we missed the lobster night in the dining room.

For dessert at Moderno they had 3 on the menu and we couldn't decide so the waitress brought us all 3. My favorite was one with coconut in it, but I can't remember what it was called. By the time you get to dessert at Moderno's you'll be so full the best dessert in the world won't taste that spectacular. :p

Dishes in the main dining room... I don't know what I could point out to, everything we tried was really good! But hubby liked the quesadilla for appetizer, he liked both the New York strip steak and the prime rib (on night 5 I think). Overall the food was served hot, presentation was always lovely, ingredients were of good quality and we had no complaints. Beef was always tender, probably not the very top prime beef, but very tender and prepared well.

We never tried to ask for more than one entrée, but we told the waitress we were really looking forward to the prime rib and she said she could bring us two each. That wasn't necessary, we couldn't have eaten another one, but she offered based on our enthusiasm. :p

Enjoying your review and loving your pics!! I am sailing on her in September, can't wait!! :)

Can I ask, you mention that there is a coupon on their Facebook page for a free bottle of wine in the speciality restaurants? it's my mum's birthday whilst we are aboard and we are making reservations for Cagneys, where would I find the coupon?

Thanks for your help! :)

Thanks so much for posting this review, I am going on this same cruise next month in one of the Studios, and am so excited.

Did you by any chance see the Spa or "Posh"? I am thinking about trying to get weekly passes to both. I mean to stay on board for most of the port days, so I am looking to make the most of my onboard experience. Your comments about H2O do make me more inclined to try for the Posh pass at least, because it does look like a really attractive adult only area. And the relaxation room and therapy pools in the Spa are really calling to me!

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Now for the "petty comparison" part of this review.

• No comedy show on board. Somehow I understood that they had Second City on board but I was wrong. We enjoy comedians, would have liked to have that as an option at night.

I believe because this is a European sailing that Second City is off the ship. Sometimes the humor just doesn't do it for the other nationalities on board.

• The dueling piano trio had to keep their show PG because even at the end of their act (1am) there were STILL very young kids in the room.

I would have no idea that dueling pianos would be an 'adult' show.

• I prefer my jogging track on top of the ship as it is so beautiful. This is the jogging track on the Epic, you can’t see it well, but on the right the outside is lined with life boats hanging outside of the ship. No view.

Epic was designed to keep the focus on the inside of the ship. Many people have said they have lost the connection to the ocean. This design doesn't seem to be on the boards for the Breakaway.

Enjoying your review so far. Love the pics!

I have a question for any of you who have done this itinerary, where exactly does the tender dock in Cannes. trying to map out a walking tour. Thanks!

Can I ask, you mention that there is a coupon on their Facebook page for a free bottle of wine in the speciality restaurants? it's my mum's birthday whilst we are aboard and we are making reservations for Cagneys, where would I find the coupon?

I just looked for it and can't find it now. I don't know if that means I'm blind or that they removed it. It has a black background with white writing, that's how I found it the first time. Will keep looking!

Did you by any chance see the Spa or "Posh"? I am thinking about trying to get weekly passes to both. I mean to stay on board for most of the port days, so I am looking to make the most of my onboard experience. Your comments about H2O do make me more inclined to try for the Posh pass at least, because it does look like a really attractive adult only area. And the relaxation room and therapy pools in the Spa are really calling to me!

No, we did not try either the Spa or Posh, so I can't comment on that.

I believe because this is a European sailing that Second City is off the ship. Sometimes the humor just doesn't do it for the other nationalities on board.

That makes a lot of sense actually, thank you.

Enjoying your review so far. Love the pics!

I have a question for any of you who have done this itinerary, where exactly does the tender dock in Cannes. trying to map out a walking tour. Thanks!

The Tender docks in an area called Jetée Brise-Lamé 06400 Cannes, France, you can look it up on Google Maps. This is what it looks like:

7601887858_f627807eca.jpg

From there you walk 50ft towards the shore (follow the crowd!) and will run into a table with large city maps and a nice lady who can show you where to walk to.

Cannes is a lovely town, but there's not much to it, you can totally just walk around on your own. Two main areas worth visiting:

1. The old town up the hill with some nice views (around the area of Notre Dame de l'Espérance which you can also find on Google Maps)

2. The board walk along the sea that will take you past the Palais des Festivals, etc.

You will walk along this cute bus station:

7601965178_8b60114fd7.jpg

And street:

7602010762_1344081fa7.jpg

Then as you get to the top near the church this is what you'll see:

7601989782_ab3972ba83.jpg

The shiny building is the Palais des Festivals (I think it's part of it anyway, we didn't walk in that direction because I've done it many times before and we didn't have time that day)

7601985398_a55763660c.jpg

The ship looks like it's close but it's really not, I'm using a hefty zoom lens here. The ship docks maybe a mile away from shore.

7601981474_d4475c2726.jpg

More on Cannes and the tendering operation later.

Loving your review & the photos, thanks for posting it. We loved NCL but, now they no longer sail from the UK we can't go on them (I'm unable to fly due to ear problem). So wish they'd rethink & come back to the UK.

By the way do they still do the anniversary offer?? We celebrated our 25th Wedding anniversary on Jewel & had freebies galore (wine, champagne party, free Bistro meal, more wine, cake, canapes etc)??? Maybe we could get to Barcelona by train & celebrate our 30th WA if they still do it:confused:

What are the shows like??? Do you have to pre-book or just turn up as we did on Jewel/Jade???

Keep up the review its great...

Looking forward to hearing about all the ports of call. Especially what you did in Provence.

I will go into ports of call soon, unfortunately for you we didn't go into Provence on this trip. We're Americans who live in France so we've visited Provence several times and didn't want to do it while on this cruise.

But just to give you some general tips, the major cities to see in Provence are Avignon (Palais des Papes and Pont du Gard), Aix-en-Provence (Cézanne), and Les Beaux de Provence http://www.iconoplaste.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=9:titre7&Itemid=19

Because none of these things are very near Marseilles or Cannes and because the area has some bad traffic jams, this is one instance where I'd recommend a ship excursion.

I've heard people say they were taking the train to Nice from Cannes, which is fine, but why? Nice and Cannes are pretty similar.

The area is wonderful, very difficult to see in just a few hours.

By the way do they still do the anniversary offer?? We celebrated our 25th Wedding anniversary on Jewel & had freebies galore (wine, champagne party, free Bistro meal, more wine, cake, canapes etc)??? Maybe we could get to Barcelona by train & celebrate our 30th WA if they still do it:confused:

What are the shows like??? Do you have to pre-book or just turn up as we did on Jewel/Jade???

Keep up the review its great...

We were celebrating our 20th anniversary and got a free bottle of wine and some considerable fussing over from the staff, but that was it.

I'll talk about the shows later. Yes you have to pre-book especially for Blue Man and Cirque.

Does Cannes have a market like the one in Nice? That was my only thinking in terms of heading to Nice- I had some fresh baked croissant from that market in Nice a few years ago the thought of which still makes me drool :)

Every town in France has markets, but there's no guarantee you'll find that croissant again, although if I were going after the world's perfect croissant I'd try some boulangeries/pâtisseries, especially the ones that say "pâtisserie artisanale" which means made from scratch by the baker and not bought frozen and baked on the premises.

How hard is it finding a great croissant in France? Not hard at all actually! You may need to try 2-3 places to find your favorite. Why not walk around Cannes and stop at all the bakeries (most of them will close between 1:30 pm and 4pm) then report?

Here are some food markets in Cannes, no idea how big or small they are I've been to Cannes for work many times but never lived there.

Place Gambetta, every morning except Mondays.

Place du Commandant Maria, every morning except Mondays.

Cannes la Bocca, Wednesday and sat mornings (not sure where this one is held exactly, La Bocca is a neighborhood in Cannes).

Archived