Limiting weight gain on a cruise!

Do not be afraid of the Horizon Court (aka Lido??). We eat our breakfast and lunch at the HC mostly because I don't like the long wait or the noise in the MDR. My rule of thumb is when loading up my platter (yes it's a platter not a plate) no food can touch another food. It's not a phobia, just that if I stick with that rule I don't end up with a mountain of food on my platter. I also don't eat what I don't like. Some folks (my FIL(83) for example) grew up during the war years or the depression and were taught to eat everything in front of them whether they liked it or not (he's still that same way) and I guess back in those years it was a good rule to live by, but not any longer. If I try something and don't like it I don't feel like I'm wasting a lot of food either as I've taken a very minimal amount to start with. If I do like something I know I can go back and get more if I like. Last cruise I lost 7 lbs. although it was waiting at home for me and I soon found it again. The buns at the MDR at dinner are hard to resist though and anyone who can't resist I completely understand :)

Beachbum

I am probably one of the few who prefer the buffet for weight maintenance. My way is to be in the gym by 7:15 every morning; on an empty stomach. You need to get your metabolism working early. Then to buffet for vitamins and breakfast. I have been watching my weight all my life and I find that a glass, or even two of white (yes, white) wine in the evening helps keep weight stable. I also eat only what I like, unlike some folks who eat because it's there.

We cruise way too much to keep gaining, though DH doesn't exactly share my principles.

That's a good point. The most we've cruised is 29 days in 14 months. If we cruised several months a year, I'd be forced to eat the way I do at home. With that in mind, I doubt we'll ever choose to cruise that often. Being able to eat anything I want, is a big part of vacation for me. I probably wouldn't feel that way, if I didn't have to count every calorie at home. My DH is one of those people who can eat nonstop & never gain an ounce. :rolleyes:

LOL. We weigh ourselves on Saturdays only and never on a ship. I want/need my own scale. ;)

At least, you weigh yourself regularly. The only way I know how much I weight is if the nurse at my doctors office chooses to tell me. I base my weight on how my clothes fit. :p

Archived