Value of luggage?

SMuFlo

When you read the cruise contract it says the following (excerpt below):

The Guest and Carrier agree and stipulate that the aggregate value of all the Guest's baggage and any other property lawfully brought on board by the Guest which shall include but not be limited to photographic equipment, jewelry, watches, cell phones, clothing and cash, does not exceed U.S. $100.00 and any liability of the Carrier or the vessel for any cause whatsoever with respect to said baggage and other property regardless of whether carried in baggage or by a Guest shall not exceed such sum unless the Guest shall specify its true value, in writing, and pay to the Carrier before embarkation 5% of the excess of such value, in which case the Carrier's liability, if any, shall be limited to the actual damage sustained up to, but not exceeding such specified value. In no event shall Carrier be liable for normal wear or tear of the Guest's property or baggage.

Has anyone paid for "extra" protection? I need to re-read our insurance to see if that covers loss of our luggage.

$100 doesn't seem like a lot, even if I'm careful to keep the "expensive" things with us (camera etc).

To be honest, I've never even read the fine print on the cruise documents like that. The clause you've quoted doesn't strike me as much different from the legalese that the airlines have about checked luggage - basically, they're limiting their liability for loss or damage to an artificially low amount.

Since I've never had any trouble with loss or damage to my luggage and contents on a cruise, I wouldn't worry about it very much. I certainly wouldn't bother with figuring out the value of all my clothes & other things, and paying them a 5% fee, just on the very small chance that something would happen. Of course, I'm sure that's what they figure too.

And if something were to happen, it would probably be on the order of the Costa Concordia, and then you're going to be involved in a whole lot of legal proceedings and what they say in their fine print will end up being tossed out the window in settlements anyway.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't worry about it.

I would not use homeowners for something like this. Most people have a $500 or $1000 deductible. Then to potentially risk having your rates go up over the remaining amount probably wouldn't be worth it.

Add in a real homeowners issue such as a damage from an unexpected plumbing problem, break in with theft, fire, storm damage, or an injury on your property... and you've just increased your chances for getting your policy cancelled and having difficulty finding a replacement policy.

When you read the cruise contract it says the following (excerpt below):

The Guest and Carrier agree and stipulate that the aggregate value of all the Guest's baggage and any other property lawfully brought on board by the Guest which shall include but not be limited to photographic equipment, jewelry, watches, cell phones, clothing and cash, does not exceed U.S. $100.00 and any liability of the Carrier or the vessel for any cause whatsoever with respect to said baggage and other property regardless of whether carried in baggage or by a Guest shall not exceed such sum unless the Guest shall specify its true value, in writing, and pay to the Carrier before embarkation 5% of the excess of such value, in which case the Carrier's liability, if any, shall be limited to the actual damage sustained up to, but not exceeding such specified value. In no event shall Carrier be liable for normal wear or tear of the Guest's property or baggage.

Has anyone paid for "extra" protection? I need to re-read our insurance to see if that covers loss of our luggage.

$100 doesn't seem like a lot, even if I'm careful to keep the "expensive" things with us (camera etc).

Trip insurance will allow for more coverage.

I just assume if the airline, shuttle, cruiseline, hotel steal my luggage - that I would get little to nothing in return. Just life.

Then again, our auto insurance has a $1,000 deductible. House insurance has a $2,000 deductible. Just can not afford to give the insurance company all my money.

(should not say afford - but should say - I prefer to keep my money)

Archived