Moby Dick...Captain Marvin's

kitty0414

My Fiance and I would really love to go snorkeling - we saw that there are great reviews for both Captain Marvin's and Moby Dick's. I know that with Captain Marvin's you can do a two-stop tour to Stingray City and the barrier reef/or the Coral Gardens. Does anyone know which is better.. The Barrier Reef or the Coral Gardens? Also, I notice that the tour only lasts 2.5 hours..which isn't too long, I don't believe. Does anyone know how long the Moby Dick tour lasts? I'd like to get a good enough time to snorkel. Also, I've looked a little bit, but does anyone know a good independent tour that ONLY does snorkeling tours to the reef? I'm sure the stingrays are great..but I'd love to spend more time at the barrier reef.

Thank you for any opinions/ideas!

Moby Dick has a website (just google it) and their tour is 3 hrs. My hubby & I just booked their stingray/snorkle trip for our cruise in September.

My daughter & I went on this same trip w/two friends in '07 and thoroughly enjoyed it. As you know, at Cayman you will have to be tendered to the island from ship. We were concerned because our ship didn't get to tender at the main pier, but at another location because of the high waves. However, once we were on land, Moby Dick was there waiting w/a bus to take us to their boat. What a relief!

We first went to swim with the stingrays. If you haven't gotten to do this before it is an unforgettable experience! They are awesome! We all agreed this was one of the best excursions we had! We probably spent 45 minutes or more w/them. The guides on the boat were very interactive with all the passengers, showed us how to swim with them, how to hold them, and even to kiss one for 7 years good luck! The are silky soft, and they like to rub up against you like cats - its just amazing! Our boat was away from the LARGE group of cruisers on the cruise-ship excursion, so we really got personal attention in our small group.

Afterwards, we drove to the reef and snorkled for about another 45 minutes. I think most everyone was really tired by the time we were done, and some were even coming aboard the boat before they were asked. We didn't feel cheated on time, or that we didn't get to do enough. The reef was beautiful, and we even saw a moray eel that the guide pointed out to us.

Punch & water is provided on the boat, along w/life jackets & snorkle gear. You would need to bring sunscreen, an underwater camera, and any light snacks in case you get hungry. There is a bathroom on the boat.

They dropped us off in town, and we shopped for about an hour or so before we traveled back to the tender area to get aboard ship.

It was a great excursion, and one I would highly recommend. They were very professional.

We went with Moby Dick in early May. Enjoyed great service and excursion. Americans enjoy the English accent and courtesies. We went to the reef first on account of the crowd at the sting rays. After, they let us off at the beach. We had jerk chicken with rice and beans at Calico Jack's and time for a swim. We then caught a bus back to the dock area with time to visit a few shops. Plenty of time for everything.

@ 2Okies

On which day in September will you be doing this tour? My husband and I also booked this for September. We'll be there on the 27th. I'm looking forward to it. It will be out first time in Cayman and first time with stingrays....Can't wait!! :)

@ 2Okies

On which day in September will you be doing this tour? My husband and I also booked this for September. We'll be there on the 27th. I'm looking forward to it. It will be out first time in Cayman and first time with stingrays....Can't wait!! :)

That is the day we will take the excursion! Are you going to be on the Magic? I hope we will get acquainted!

This will be my second time to do the stingrays w/Moby Dick. My husband's first time in Cayman, too. He's never cruised before, so this is all a new experience for him.

My daughter & I did two cruises together when she was a teen. He encouraged us to go do "mama-daughter" things because he always did hunting trips w/our son. We have some great memories together. But, DD is married (this year) and now its time for me & hubby! :D

We can't wait either!

You will love the stingray tour. It was amazing. Moby Dick was excellent in their service.

Oh - I just saw that you were going to be on the Conquest. Looks like your're leaving at the same time as we are on the Magic however. Are you going to Jamaica & Cozumel also? We have made plans to do the "Jamaica for a Day" at Sunset beach in Jamaica. My daughter & I did that in '07, and loved it. Very safe, clean and enjoyable time in Jamaica. We haven't made any plans in Cozumel yet. It's the port we feel most comfortable in, so we'll probably just wait and see what we want to do when we get there.

We'll be on the excursion on the same day. I look forward to meeting you. I'm really excited about Cayman. I looked at so much stuff on Trip Advisor and Moby Dick had the best reviews.

My mom and I go on Mother Daughter trips too. We have cruised a couple of times and been to New York a few times. This trip will be me and my husband.

I know we'll have a great time with the stingrays...See you there ;)

That is the day we will take the excursion! Are you going to be on the Magic? I hope we will get acquainted!

Are you going to Jamaica & Cozumel also? .

We are going to Jamaica & Cozumel as well. We dont have any real plans for Jamaica. In Cozumel we are going to Mr. Sancho's for the day. It's an all inclusive for $50 per person. I have been there before, it's pretty nice.

• 1 month later...

2Okies, I really enjoyed meeting you guys in Grand Cayman! I thought the Stingray experience was awesome!!

I wanted you to have my email in case you get a chance to send me that pic you took of me and Gregg kissing the stingray. It's rhondav19@yahoo.com I hope you had a great cruise, we did :)

Thanks, Rhonda

2Okies, I really enjoyed meeting you guys in Grand Cayman! I thought the Stingray experience was awesome!!

I wanted you to have my email in case you get a chance to send me that pic you took of me and Gregg kissing the stingray. It's rhondav19@yahoo.com I hope you had a great cruise, we did :)

Thanks, Rhonda

Rhonda - we enjoyed getting to meet you too! I just sent you an email. I'll try to get the pictures to you as soon as possible. I think we got 4-5 good pictures of you guys w/the stingrays. Weren't they amazing?

Loved that excursion!

Archived