Just back from Vantage Russian River Cruise

Tom47

I definitely had some vodka at both home-hosted meals. I didn't have a huge lower intestine problem like some people.

We were careful about drinking the water. The food is different in Russia, not bad different, but the most dishes involved dill. Soups were excellent. I think the body doesn't always adjust to differences.

Will be scrupulous about water as in Egypt. Very unlikely I will drink Vodka of any kind since I really don't like it. I have heard Russian yogurts are wonderful and can't wait to try it since I'm a huge Kefir fan. I don't mind dill either. You are right of course, sometimes it's just the change in diet that causes the intestines to revolt. That's why I always carry a variety of OTC meds, even when traveling in the US. If I don't need them, there's always someone on the trip who does!

Will be scrupulous about water as in Egypt. Very unlikely I will drink Vodka of any kind since I really don't like it. I have heard Russian yogurts are wonderful and can't wait to try it since I'm a huge Kefir fan. I don't mind dill either. You are right of course, sometimes it's just the change in diet that causes the intestines to revolt. That's why I always carry a variety of OTC meds, even when traveling in the US. If I don't need them, there's always someone on the trip who does!

Before our trip, I had read that once you open a Russian vodka bottle that you cannot put the cap back on. Russians always drink the entire bottle. Once on the river, I bought a $6 bottle of fairly good vodka and drank it with some our our associates. It was true that once we popped that plastic cap, it could not be put back on.

The soups in Russia and Ukraine were great. Liked those meat pies. Russian ice cream was pretty good.

I love ice-cream!! I'm sure I'm going to like the food too. I like soups and stews and casserole type dishes only thing I won't eat is fish! Can't wait to try the borscht, since I really like beets! Interesting about the vodka bottles...I guess if you open the bottle you're expected to either drink it all or share with your friends. :)

I love ice-cream!! I'm sure I'm going to like the food too. I like soups and stews and casserole type dishes only thing I won't eat is fish! Can't wait to try the borscht, since I really like beets! Interesting about the vodka bottles...I guess if you open the bottle you're expected to either drink it all or share with your friends. :)

I had eaten borscht in Poland years ago, and was not wild about it, but we had some great borscht in Kiev and Russia. The borscht we had on the trip did not have the overwhelming beet taste, it had over vegetables, and of course the lump of sour cream.

We had several variations of borscht - they have a lot of regional twists on things. Our food in both SP and Moscow was very good as were all the meals on the Tolstoi.

On drinking the water, shave and shower only, drink out of the bottle. Now here's a simple tip for avoiding stomach problems along with just common sense. Get a bottle of Acidolphilus tablets in the vitamin section from any drug store. Forty years ago, they were called yogurt tablets. Start about ten days before you leave and take one every day. Take one every day while you're on your trip and then keep taking them for ten days when you get home. They build up natural lactic bacteria in your intestinal track. This simple and cheap preventive has saved a lot of travelers over the years and I mean in some really fifth world countries. Think film crews, etc. And every doc I've ever had has said its a good idea.

As to the common sense, don't be afraid to try some different things but look where you are. Is it a fly-ridden market or a nice cafe or on the boat? Just think of the people that get on the plane, have two or three drinks, then land in Mexico and chug down a couple of pitchers of Margaritas. The next day they have both a hangover and "revenge". The revenge part came from the simple fact that everyones stomach just isn't made to take that big an overload of citrus. Simple but true, plenty of the hotel doctors will tell you.

Back to soups, one of the greatest I've had period was the Cream of Mushroom at Turnadot in Moscow. Real cream and heavenly mushrooms - they use over 50 varieties in Russian cooking.

TEB3

Archived