Do,please take care in the heat

Traval

Having recently returned from an Athens to Rome cruise I would just like to warn first time cruises to this region travelling in the next few weeks,to take care and not overdo things.

When we reached Athens it was almost 100 F and I found it quite hard going to climb the Acropolis even though we'd left it to late afternoon.Use plenty of sunblock ,wear a hat and take PLENTY of water.We had a bottle of water each but this had gone by the time we reached the top.There is fountain up there where you can re-fill but it is very luke warm.

They did actually close the Acropolis for some hours over the late morning to late afternoon period earlier in the week because of the intense heat and high levels of ozone.I think temperatures have eased a bit but could always flare up again.

Locals were complaining in Sicily and wishing it would go back to their normal summer temperatures.

We found that we were not doing as much in ports of call as we had intended and paced ourselves accordingly.Even couples much younger than us were finding some things involving steep climbs an effort.

Of course,I realise that many of you US citizens come from areas where you are used to high temperatures.We,here in UK,are not and it can sap your energy traipsing about in such heat.

Just a friendly warning to go prepared.

Can you say "global warming"? Look at the horrible drought in the Midwest here in the U.S. High temperatures everywhere. Thank you for the warning and advice to travelers. I found when visiting Athens two summers ago that climbing the Acropolis early in the day makes the best sense. Before the heat bakes the city. We got there just as it opened and it was both cooler and pretty much to ourselves. The huge number of daily tourists had not arrived yet.

Archived