Early Morning Excursions - HOW?

AmyinVail

Okay, I'm new to my research into our Hawaiian cruise - so, forgive me. I read a post about a sunrise bikeride to Haelaka (sp? still learning) crater in Maui. I did some research on it and it looks like you need to start the excursion around 2:30am. My question is - if you're docked, can you get off ship anytime? 24 hours? Do you tender in Maui? How would that work? Again, forgive me for my ignorance, I'm just starting out the research on this cruise! Thanks to all who respond. BTW, I'm on the PO America in November.

Okay, I'm new to my research into our Hawaiian cruise - so, forgive me. I read a post about a sunrise bikeride to Haelaka (sp? still learning) crater in Maui. I did some research on it and it looks like you need to start the excursion around 2:30am. My question is - if you're docked, can you get off ship anytime? 24 hours? Do you tender in Maui? How would that work? Again, forgive me for my ignorance, I'm just starting out the research on this cruise! Thanks to all who respond. BTW, I'm on the PO America in November.

The Pride of America will dock in Kahului, which makes your bike excursion much easier. The major bike excursion firms have their base yards in Kahului, so it is trivial for them to pick you up and then get the trailer with the bikes and head on your way.

It takes about 90 minutes to 2 hours to drive from Kahului to the summit of Haleakala. In November sunrise is about 5:30. Add some time to pick up others, get the trailer, etc., and you get an idea of how early you need to start.

Also, a big hint... Bring warm clothes for your bike trip. Even though the tour firms provide some sort of covering, be forewarned that winter temperatures at the summit can be in the 30s and 40s.

Enjoy your visit.

So, since the ship is docked - you're allowed to come and go 24 hours a day? Seems like a pretty extreme excursion; very early wake up, 2 hour drive, and I hear a 38 mile bike ride (downhill), plus extreme temperatures. Is it really that gorgeous?

So, since the ship is docked - you're allowed to come and go 24 hours a day?
I do not know for 100% certain that NCL allows 24-hours a day access, but I would presume so as you will not be the only ones heading for the summit at "dark o'clock" in the morning. Perhaps some of the Pride of Aloha visitors can confirm this.

Seems like a pretty extreme excursion; very early wake up, 2 hour drive, and I hear a 38 mile bike ride (downhill), plus extreme temperatures. Is it really that gorgeous?
Viewing the sunrise at Haleakala is a very, very special event and one I highly recommend to all visitors. On a good morning you can see the Big Island, and watch the sun rise below you. I've never done the bike thing (too much like work,) so cannot comment on that aspect. I'm sure you can also find tours that will take you up (and back down) in a van. Or, if you're renting a car, drive to the summit yourself.

We did it Oct 21, 2001 and it was spectacular. It was the peak of the Orionids meteor shower that night. The tenders in Lahaina on RCI run every hour at that time of the night, so we actually had to catch the tender at 2am. yikes, this was after going to the Old Lahaina Luau before going to bed for a few hours. The sunrise is cool, but the night time sky even without meteor shower is pretty spectacular. The bike ride is fun, but I enjoyed the time on the top of the volcano at night and at sunrise more. It is around freezing at the top of the volcano when it is 80 at the pier. Wear layers and lots of em.:D

jc

Archived