Is Cruise Confidential a realistic portrayal?

tree.critter

I read the first book, Cruise Condfidential. and it was good, well written, and did leave me wondering about Bianca. I want to ask David Bruns right now, what happened to her? :p I figure you'll never tell. Maybe your saving that for your fourth book. :D

I suspect a lot of the recent changes Carnival has made, by eliminating Breakfast and Lunch in the main dining room on certain days is to give the crew more time off than they had 10 years ago...

I recently read all three books and enjoyed them all. I expect I'll be a lot more appreciative of the crew when I board Glory on Sunday. They clearly work hard, and most service people get their pay from gratuities. I also get pissed off when I see people remove their tips and are too cheap to pay for services. If you really are getting crappy service, you should constructively tell the management if there's a problem. The same is true in restaurants.

I will say that I felt the author portrayed a certain amount of "smug confidence" in himself but that's what probably made him so successful as an Art Auctioneer later. You don't see many insecure, meek successful salesmen. Most good sales people have a very high opinion of themselves.

I wish there will be a fourth book. I want to know what happens next.

I recently finished the book and it bothered me, too, not only that they worked so long without breaks, but also that their supervisors seemed to mistreat them and get away with it. I know on previous cruises I have seen my dining room servers also working late night buffets and the buffet during lunch. I remember thinking that it was bad that they seemed to work such long hours. That's why we always try to tip well and be extra nice to the crew. They're serving us while we're just loafing around having a good time. When I read the way some people treat the crew and withhold their tips, it really ticks me off.

[quote name='jsfromsc']I recently finished the book and it bothered me, too, not only that they worked so long without breaks, but also that their supervisors seemed to mistreat them and get away with it. I know on previous cruises I have seen my dining room servers also working late night buffets and the buffet during lunch. I remember thinking that it was bad that they seemed to work such long hours. That's why we always try to tip well and be extra nice to the crew. They're serving us while we're just loafing around having a good time. When I read the way some people treat the crew and withhold their tips, it really ticks me off.[/quote]

Most of the crew work split shifts with a few hours off midday. They seldom work straight through the day.

A well run ship will have a senior officer (Staff Captain) who will handle complaints and discipline both for and against the crew and supervisors. The crew also have a union that represents them, but it is mostly ineffective.

Archived