walk to 7 mile beach?

pshortie265

We are docking in George Town in 3 weeks. It looks like it might be possible to walk to 7 mile beach? How far is it? Is it safe (for 4 white girls)? We are pretty fit and don't mind it taking a while, would rather walk than take a taxi. Thoughts?

It is safe, but not recommended.

There are no sidewalks for portions of the walk. The closest end of the beach does not have services for cruise visitors so the walk to a good spot is further than you might imagine.

The public bus depot is next to the library on Edward Street, one long (or two short) blocks inland from the waterfront. Fare is US$2.50 per person each way.

We are docking in George Town in 3 weeks. It looks like it might be possible to walk to 7 mile beach? How far is it? Is it safe (for 4 white girls)? We are pretty fit and don't mind it taking a while, would rather walk than take a taxi. Thoughts?

Cayman is a very cosmopolitan, racially integrated, and historically mixed race country. The color of your skin will have very little impact on how you are treated or your safety.

Take a cab or a bus as the others have recommended.

:D The biggest problem you're going to encounter being "4 white girls" and trying to walk to Seven Mile Beach is that you're going to be bright red by the end of your walk. Especially in the summer months, it's very hot and sunny, and you will burn much easier than you think you will. Wear cover-ups and lots of sunscreen. :D

Both the buses and the taxis are very safe and relatively cheap. I'd suggest taking a taxi or bus to the beach, and then you can see how far it is and decide whether you want to try to walk back or not. Personally, and having taken many trips to Cayman, I would never try to walk it in the summer. It's perfectly safe, but you'll be sunburnt, dehydrated and completely drained from the heat, and you won't want to do anything other than take a nap afterwards. :D

• 2 weeks later...
:D The biggest problem you're going to encounter being "4 white girls" and trying to walk to Seven Mile Beach is that you're going to be bright red by the end of your walk. Especially in the summer months, it's very hot and sunny, and you will burn much easier than you think you will. Wear cover-ups and lots of sunscreen. :D

Both the buses and the taxis are very safe and relatively cheap. I'd suggest taking a taxi or bus to the beach, and then you can see how far it is and decide whether you want to try to walk back or not. Personally, and having taken many trips to Cayman, I would never try to walk it in the summer. It's perfectly safe, but you'll be sunburnt, dehydrated and completely drained from the heat, and you won't want to do anything other than take a nap afterwards. :D

I had to laugh when I read this. My son & his wife took Moby Dick's snorkel/stingray trip in '09, and they asked to be dropped off at 7 mile beach afterwards. He said they played in the water, then decided to just walk back to the ship - after all - they COULD see it! But, he said they walked and walked, and once they started getting really HOT, and sunburned, and dehydrated (they had NO water!), they started looking for a taxi, but didn't find one. They ended up walking the entire way back to the tender port, but he said they were crispy, hot & very tired! I know he sure wouldn't advise walking it - especially unprepared as they were.

Archived