Advice Needed

Mskala

Understanding that there may not be much, if anything, I can do, I'm turning to my more experienced cruise mates for advice....

So, I initially had a group cruise leaving out of Baltimore on 9/23. I, unfortunately, used a travel agent that a good friend referred me to. However, this TA turned out to be VERY inexperienced in group cruising. Long story short, we didn't meet the minimum for a group so I had her change our booking to the ES rate, which was done.

I called her today because I noticed a price drop. After she made 2 unseccessful attempts at getting us the OBC, I asked to be on the line when she made the next call so that I could hear for myself what was going on. She called Carnival and we were told that we did not qualify for the ES rate advertised on the Carnival website because we were booked under the GROUP ES rate. When I asked how this could be when we didn't have enough cabins to qualify for a group, the Carnival rep stated that the booking was made under the group rate and had 3 ammenity points being calculated with it. Ammenity points that we are no longer eligible for because did not meet the minimum booking requirements for a group, but are still being factored into our pricing.

Because final payment was already made, Carnival won't budge on changing us to an individual booking. So, due to my TA's lack of knowledge, we're booked for a group cruise that's not really a group, we don't get any group amenities, and we're not eligible for the Carnival advertised lowest price because that price is only for individuals....

My frustration level, at this point, is steadily rising with both the TA and with Carnival. I partially blame myself for going with a TA in the first place...when the group didn't pan out, I should have just booked on my own like I usually do. But as a TA, she should have made sure the options were more clear at the point when we ceased being a group.

Any suggestions??

Hmm, hopefully firefly will see this posting. She is great a these deals.

Its a crappy situation, but I'm glad you have a decent attitude about it instead going all ANTI Carnival right away.

I would suggest cancelling and re-booking, but you are passed final payment and I don't remember how far out you are and if the ES rate would still be available and even then, would it have been worth the $50pp change fees etc.

See how sticky it gets?

I do hope someone chimes in with something.

Any way to hold the TA accountable?

Sounds like the disconnect is with the TA. If the TA made a mistake that is costing you money, the TA should reimburse and learn from their mistake.

Agree! This sounds like something the TA needs to take care of for you. So sorry you ended up with this situation. :(

Its a crappy situation, but I'm glad you have a decent attitude about it instead going all ANTI Carnival right away.

I would suggest cancelling and re-booking, but you are passed final payment and I don't remember how far out you are and if the ES rate would still be available and even then, would it have been worth the $50pp change fees etc.

See how sticky it gets?

Nothing I know to do except you can still get price drops.. but you just have to add in the amenity points.. what is it 17 a point..so you wouldnt get the full drop.

My first booking was a group cruise when I got back to cruising in 2006 .. I paid out the nose, and the group leader spent our points on what she wished .. and the TA must have made out like a bandit.

I chalk it up to a learning experience and started to learn and figured, hey I can book 2 people for what this one cost me .. it was a princess cruise, and I got the next princess cruise only a tad more .. for 2 people not 1.

Once you are past final payment or you want to book with a certain group, you get kind of stuck!!! I did. No more. Now Im leery of group bookings and only book on my own.

My frustration level, at this point, is steadily rising with both the TA and with Carnival. I partially blame myself for going with a TA in the first place...when the group didn't pan out, I should have just booked on my own like I usually do. But as a TA, she should have made sure the options were more clear at the point when we ceased being a group.

Any suggestions??

I wouldnt blame carnival. How are they to blame? You cant change rates after final payment.

My guess is the TA called the same number she had called before when she originally booked you as a group, then you asked to change to ES .. and it was the group phone # .. and they quoted the group ES rate amount .... and then everyone agreed .. no one in your group checked the amount with the online price right?

I dont see this as being Carnival's fault in any way if your TA changed you to a group ES rate and didnt check the rate herself? Its always the booking agents responsibility .. I dont see how this is carnival's for giving you the rate the TA probably agreed to and they thought she wanted.

I wouldnt blame carnival. How are they to blame? You cant change rates after final payment.

My guess is the TA called the same number she had called before when she originally booked you as a group, then you asked to change to ES .. and it was the group phone # .. and they quoted the group ES rate amount .... and then everyone agreed .. no one in your group checked the amount with the online price right?

I dont see this as being Carnival's fault in any way if your TA changed you to a group ES rate and didnt check the rate herself? Its always the booking agents responsibility .. I dont see how this is carnival's for giving you the rate the TA probably agreed to and they thought she wanted.

I never said I blamed Carnival for anything. Only that I am frustrated with them. Believe me, I know who's to blame here. My issue with Carnival is a lot of what was said doesn't make sense. Yes, it might be their rules, which is why I'm not blaming them. But, the rules don't make sense...

How can you still be assessed group amenity points or rate if you no longer qualify as a group? Their response was, "That's the way it is". That's where my frustration comes from.

See how sticky it gets?

LOL...I'll probably never be anti-Carnival but I am now anti-TA...

I never said I blamed Carnival for anything. Only that I am frustrated with them. Believe me, I know who's to blame here. My issue with Carnival is a lot of what was said doesn't make sense. Yes, it might be their rules, which is why I'm not blaming them. But, the rules don't make sense...

How can you still be assessed group amenity points or rate if you no longer qualify as a group? Their response was, "That's the way it is". That's where my frustration comes from.

You could still be getting a lower ES group price because the amenity points were added into the calculation .. we will never know.

My first group cruise, the one that I said taught me a lesson .. I said ok, this has to be me... so I asked this TA who I thought seemed to be upping the prices more than I could book on my own .. for a quote for another cruise. I said ok. Im getting a price from online of $500 pp, what can you do for me.. would you believe she came back with a price like $650 pp .. for a inside .. I was flabbergasted, I expected her to beat the price, not give a higher price. She defended it .. saying well its a good location. I just had to give up on her. I still think she jacked up prices. Sometimes you just have to walk away and give up. This was for another cruiseline that allowed discounting mind you.. and she thought it was reasonable to charge more than I could book online.

and she thought it was reasonable to charge more than I could book online.

Situations like this are why they are going the same way as gas station attendants - into the history books. Why would I want to pay someone more for something that I can do myself, online, any hour of the day, faster, for less?

Just a guess here but if the TA won't make it right, why not go to their supervisor or someone in the office that can make it right?

Sounds like the TA messed up, they should fix it, even if it cuts into their commission.

Situations like this are why they are going the same way as gas station attendants - into the history books. Why would I want to pay someone more for something that I can do myself, online, any hour of the day, faster, for less?

Why would you be paying the travel agent more?

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I certainly understand OP being frustrated. I am sure I would be equally so, at the very least. I don't understand, though, how OP can be frustrated with Carnival. Rules are complex, and company agents may not be trained teachers, but rules are not made up with total capriciousness. I am quite certain they are made up by MBAs and are designed to deal with a variety of possible complicated scenarios.

I certainly understand OP being frustrated. I am sure I would be equally so, at the very least. I don't understand, though, how OP can be frustrated with Carnival. Rules are complex, and company agents may not be trained teachers, but rules are not made up with total capriciousness. I am quite certain they are made up by MBAs and are designed to deal with a variety of possible complicated scenarios.

I see you missed the last line of that quote....

Just a guess here but if the TA won't make it right, why not go to their supervisor or someone in the office that can make it right?

Sounds like the TA messed up, they should fix it, even if it cuts into their commission.

TA is the boss....

The TA definitely messed up here and I would go to her supervisor. May not do any good in the end, but I'd still say something. Wonder if TA made more money off of the group rate than she would have an individual rate.

Think I'd also take my concerns to Carnival corporate, because the bolded sentence above doesn't make any sense.

Ditto! Nothing against TA's, but I haven't used one since before 1997, when I first had access to the internet. I actually enjoy doing the research :)

I see you missed the last line of that quote....

The cruise line agents are not MBAs. If the fare rules do not permit what the customer wants, I think "That's the way it is" is as good a restatement of following the rules as they can give.

It does seem, though, that you will not be deterred in including Carnival in your frustration. Let us hope that the cruise, in any case, is a great success for you.

Hey guys I'm a rather new home based TA. I agree the the mistake was on the part of the TA. She needed to completely cancel your booking then rebook you because if not you would automatically get the group es rate. I kow someone said the TA is making out like a bandit but I'd have to disagree. She's not making much on an individual cruise booking. But I do think s/he should be held accountable. If it were me I'd offer to give you ammenity gift that equal the points you originally had. The issue with her giviing money from comission is that TAs don't get paid comission until after the cruise. But if it were my mistake I'd definitely compensate my clients. TA work is complicated and I have made many expensive mistakes in my short amount of time as a TA. But TAs are human and mistakes are to be expected of all humans. However my concern is her not compensating you for her mistake. Thank goodness I have a supportive hubby who's just like eat the cost if you mess up. Some TAs can't afford to do that prior to comission.

Nothing I know to do except you can still get price drops.. but you just have to add in the amenity points.. what is it 17 a point..so you wouldnt get the full drop....

Just curious...What are amenity points?

Archived